Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2020, 11:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw a Citroen 2CV today in Spring Hill, Tennessee. I first saw one 50 years ago in Germany, and i thought then they were the biggest POS I ever saw.

They're wanting $16K to $18K for 1986 models in great shape.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much different can the Canta be compared to an electric or gas golf cart? Even with side curtains the golf cart is less expensive.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Much more practical and roomy than this. Of course who said cars should be practical:

Smallest Car In The World

Nice. What luxury to have four wheels. https://youtu.be/VDX_pW8C5Y0
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

For people who missed it, this old thread was revived because of a current thread on EVs, and the subject of mini EVs came up. I think we can all agree that the modern Chinese mini EVs will serve some niche markets much better than the Canta in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
How much different can the Canta be compared to an electric or gas golf cart? Even with side curtains the golf cart is less expensive.

Cheers!

I read that the Canta is so expensive because it is specially hand-built one at a time for handicapped people. It's because of the handicap status that drivers are allowed to park on sidewalks.

The Canta is still alive and well, as described in the following Youtube video that was posted just a few months ago. The video author also talked about the new mini EVs that started to show up in Amsterdam.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Nice. What luxury to have four wheels. https://youtu.be/VDX_pW8C5Y0

That is funny. How did that Robin get deemed roadworthy?

Quote:
The Reliant Robin is a small three-wheeled car produced by the Reliant Motor Company in Tamworth, England. It was offered in several versions (Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3) over a period of 30 years. It is the second-most popular fibreglass car in history, with Reliant being the second-biggest UK-owned car manufacturer for a time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #26
gone traveling

The US doesn't have an energy problem. Plenty to go around. Just to need better manage distribution.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #27

I remember those things being all the rage back in the late 70's...

Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Forget about 16-yr olds! I want one of these to tour European cities in, but I would need a luggage rack.

You know how hard it is to find parking places in the cities. Yet, these can be parked on sidewalks. Well, at least in Amsterdam anyway. Even if you have to share the "road" with bicyclists, heck, it still beats walking.

I suspect it would not be long before they pass laws to crack down on this.
My first tour in the Army I was a bus driver in Germany. Lots of episodes with literally inches of clearance on sides. I could have used one of these.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I saw a Citroen 2CV today in Spring Hill, Tennessee. I first saw one 50 years ago in Germany, and i thought then they were the biggest POS I ever saw.

They're wanting $16K to $18K for 1986 models in great shape.
I've heard that there is a significant market for used Geo Metros and clones. With the right set up, they were (are) capable of about 50 mpg. I rented one in Phoenix back in the early 90's. It was an automatic. In Phoenix traffic - especially on the freeways - I had to have my foot to the floor either on the gas or brake. Even driving in that fashion, I averaged over 30 mpg. The car itself was terrible (small, cramped, slow, unable to keep up, etc.) In short, I'd never want to own one.

It's interesting that (for instance) the Prius, blows away all the mini-cars ever built in terms of fuel mileage, comfort and performance. So, I tend to think we don't really need the tiny electric cars. They do look like fun and they would likely be cheap to operate. I just don't see them as practical for most applications - especially when there are excellent alternatives with outstanding fuel economy. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I've heard that there is a significant market for used Geo Metros and clones. With the right set up, they were (are) capable of about 50 mpg. I rented one in Phoenix back in the early 90's. It was an automatic. In Phoenix traffic - especially on the freeways - I had to have my foot to the floor either on the gas or brake. Even driving in that fashion, I averaged over 30 mpg. The car itself was terrible (small, cramped, slow, unable to keep up, etc.) In short, I'd never want to own one.

It's interesting that (for instance) the Prius, blows away all the mini-cars ever built in terms of fuel mileage, comfort and performance. So, I tend to think we don't really need the tiny electric cars. They do look like fun and they would likely be cheap to operate. I just don't see them as practical for most applications - especially when there are excellent alternatives with outstanding fuel economy. YMMV

I have not driven the Geo Metro, but at some time in the 80s did rent a Chevy Sprint in one trip because it was cheap and I also wanted to see what it could do.

The Sprint had a 3-cylinder 1.0 liter engine. The car was so light that on the LA freeway cars passing me would perturb the car with their wake. I forgot what the gas mileage was, but definitely remembered not being impressed with it.

Mini EVs are different though. As shown in the video I posted above about mini EVs in Amsterdam, these are strictly for use in congested cities. They would not be legal on a freeway.

The Chinese are going crazy with the mini EVs. Check out this Baojun E200 with autopilot and smart summon mode. Tesla, eat your heart out!

Note: I am going to investigate further to see if the autopilot in this car is truly good for release in production cars, or just a conceptual demo in a safe environment.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have not driven the Geo Metro, but at some time in the 80s did rent a Chevy Sprint in one trip because it was cheap and I also wanted to see what it could do.

The Sprint had a 3-cylinder 1.0 liter engine. The car was so light that on the LA freeway cars passing me would perturb the car with their wake. I forgot what the gas mileage was, but definitely remembered not being impressed with it.

Mini EVs are different though. As shown in the video I posted above about mini EVs in Amsterdam, these are strictly for use in congested cities. They would not be legal on a freeway.

The Chinese are going crazy with the mini EVs. Check out this Baojun E200 with autopilot and smart summon mode. Tesla, eat your heart out!

Note: I am going to investigate further to see if the autopilot in this car is truly good for release in production cars, or just a conceptual demo in a safe environment.

Wow! THAT car actually looks like a car (about the size of a SMART CAR). Not sure I'd like that on a California freeway, but would consider it in the Islands if available. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is funny. How did that Robin get deemed roadworthy?

I lost the link, but I read that the car was heavily weighted and something done with the differential to make it easy to tip for that video. But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #33

Obviously not road worthy or safe.

I do think the car to solve the world's energy problems is already out there ... the Prius solved most of the issue beginning in 1997, and with plug in added, and then evolutionary improvements ... it's done.

https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/

Nope - don't have one, but will in the future.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Obviously not road worthy or safe.

I do think the car to solve the world's energy problems is already out there ... the Prius solved most of the issue beginning in 1997, and with plug in added, and then evolutionary improvements ... it's done.

https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/

Nope - don't have one, but will in the future.
I agree that the Prius or similar set ups are a long way toward the potential "best" we can do in the compromise between a "real car" and fantastic mileage. Yes, you read about some engineering school that builds a car that gets 500+ mpg but it looks like a plastic tricycle.

We could argue all day (and we have, heh, heh) about all-electric cars being the solution. Recent black outs in Cali suggest we aren't ready to produce enough "transportation" electricity just yet. I can see the time in the future, but maybe not yet. Seems like plug in hybrids or just hybrids are the best compromise for now. Obviously this whole subject is controversial so YMMV.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree that the Prius or similar set ups are a long way toward the potential "best" we can do in the compromise between a "real car" and fantastic mileage. Yes, you read about some engineering school that builds a car that gets 500+ mpg but it looks like a plastic tricycle...

A plastic tricycle for 500 mpg? No way.

You need a vehicle that looks like an airfoil, in order to cut down on aerodynamic drag.

The car below is solar (infinite mpg?). You can only go out during daylight hours though.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We have the latest version of Toyota's Camry Hybrid--a completely new automobile in 2018. It runs great, is so quiet and smooth and it gets 49.5 mpg in normal highway driving. At 75 mph or in city traffic, we get 46.5 mpg. And we're not suffering in any way. It's also surprisingly quick accelerating. 68K miles, and it's never seen a dealer's shop.

When asked why Toyota has been slow to get into the all electric retail market, they said that they've sold over 1.5 million hybrid vehicles. They would have only been able to make 350,000 fully hybrid vehicles with the same battery sources they've used in the past.

It remains that battery technology is what limits EV's--especially in range. Some parts of this country also have political problems--and a lack of sufficient electrical prorduction to power 100% of the market on electricity.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We have the latest version of Toyota's Camry Hybrid--a completely new automobile in 2018. It runs great, is so quiet and smooth and it gets 49.5 mpg in normal highway driving. At 75 mph or in city traffic, we get 46.5 mpg. And we're not suffering in any way. It's also surprisingly quick accelerating. 68K miles, and it's never seen a dealer's shop.

When asked why Toyota has been slow to get into the all electric retail market, they said that they've sold over 1.5 million hybrid vehicles. They would have only been able to make 350,000 fully hybrid vehicles with the same battery sources they've used in the past.

It remains that battery technology is what limits EV's--especially in range. Some parts of this country also have political problems--and a lack of sufficient electrical prorduction to power 100% of the market on electricity.
did you get the six cyclinder camry or the 4 cyclinder? have a prius now and looking at a camry for something a little bigger, but will keep the prius also.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car