Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

2001 corvette - hand washed. Others - automatic.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I take it to the automatic car wash. It used to be $3 but they raised it to $5 a couple of years ago. They have free vacuums, the use of microfiber towels and window cleaner. Once in a while I spring for the extra $3 for the teenagers to use their giant brushes and soapy water on the front, sides, and rear.

I'm always amazed at how many people spring for the $20, "ultra-deluxe" wash (I can see the board showing what level wash they get, and often people leave their cc receipts in the machine).
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Who washes their car? The rain washes mine...
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't recall the last time I washed a car - by hand or auto-bath. The last time I had a car newer than 6 years old was 20+ years ago (meaning that routine washes don't pay for themselves in "preserving" the car.) Having said that, we lend our cars to other folks when we are away for extended periods. Typically, they return the cars to us washed - so I guess that's about once a year. Not sure whether they are robo-washed or detailed. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

All cars hand washed by me with the 3 bucket method (1 for wheels only) with a foaming rinse before the wash. Takes me an hour, I have a rotation so every car gets washed every 10 days. I like doing it.

I just spent 40 hours over the course of a week detailing my car.
The wife's car is a lease so it doesn't get that much but still more than most.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #26

I've been using no rinse car wash (Optimum Wash and Shine) for the last couple years and it works great. Just takes about 1 gallon of water to wash my truck and can easily do it in the garage without making a mess. Just need a good applicator/sponge to wipe on and microfiber towels to wipe off. Does a real good job cleaning and gives a nice shine.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #27

Automated, especially in the winter because they have high pressure undercarriage wash that gets rid of the accumulated salt.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
All cars hand washed by me with the 3 bucket method (1 for wheels only) with a foaming rinse before the wash.
+1 Also use an industrial dryer/blower to minimize abrasion swirls.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:29 AM   #29

I take it to a hand wash place. We keep our cars for a long time and I want the paint to keep looking good. Plus they do a good job cleaning out the interior. I drive a 2007 and people are always thinking I have a late model car.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #30
gone traveling

hand wash only for me. i dry it with a leaf blower. i wax it all over once a month and the front only after i scrub off highway bugs. I also clay bar once a year. i have a bottle of stuff i use when it's raining and i want to wash my car in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 (11).jpg (523.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 0427170936.jpg (531.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 0408171302a.jpg (426.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 0127171328.jpg (376.3 KB, 21 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We have a Wednesday special at the automatic car wash--$3.00. It is good.enough for a Camry or Explorer.

Hand washing is reserved for my Jaguar convertible that stays garaged. And I can hand wash a car in 5 minutes.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

DH does the whole hand wash/wax/detailing thing. He washes the cars 1-2 times a month, does the wax/detailing yearly--takes him all day for both cars
I go through the auto car wash a few times a year, especially in the winter just to get the road stuff off or the de icer that they put down.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We use the local automatic car wash for about $14. Haven’t hand washed in years.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Automatic. My favorite is the world’s longest car wash at the Buc-ee’s in Katy TX. https://youtu.be/YWOkpiazPDI
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #35

I have a beautiful new red car and was advised to hand wash it to preserve the paint. It has been a hassle since I don't want to wash it in my driveway with no shade on hot days (and it is hot and sunny the entire summer and then some) so have been using a self service car wash. I use a mitt for the actual washing but timing everything to use the least amount of water has been a problem since you cannot turn the water on and off. I keep the high pressure hose a distance from the car as I am concerned it will damage the paint and rinse with the low pressure setting. Also the car wash vacuum cleaner can not reach between the seat and console or in other small crevices.

There are a couple of places in town that provide hand washes but these start at about $35. I may try this every other month or so and wash it myself the rest of the time.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #36

I use the self-service wand at the car wash. Spray the soap, and walk around the car with a mitt and give it a quick scrub. DH bought me an auto carwash package for 6 months, and I began to notice the black car luster was fading, even though it's always garaged. A car guy friend gave us the name of a guy who came to the house and "clayed" it and hand waxed it after washing it by hand. He made me promise to never drive through an auto carwash again. It looks great again, but I don't do the drive through thing anymore.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #37

When I had a car, I always hand washed it to try to preserve the finish.
Now that the missus and I share a car, we just go through an automatic car wash in the neighbourhood. It's the type with rags that whip the car. I can't see that being that great for the finish but now that the car has a few scratches and marks, it's not that big of a concern.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #38

I buy a book of 10 car washes and they give me one free. 2x a year they sell the book for buy one get one...so I get 21 Car washes for about $40.

In the summer I hand wash on nice days. In the winter I use the wash coupons.

Once a year I handwax. The vehicle rusts out no matter what with all the winter road salt, but regular washes seems to delay the rust a few years.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

$4 using a self service wand...$2 to soap it, then I spend a few minutes hand cleaning it with a mitt, then $2 to rinse. I "dry" it by going down the highway at 110 kph

10 minutes start to finish...not counting drying time
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that there are so many ways to wash a car. I'm still puzzling over the best for us. After I hand washed the 2004 Honda CRV it looked really nice and the finish to me looks great.

So hand washing is probably just fine but the way I do it is time consuming. The 1 hour I took includes all steps including putting things away. I could cut down on the time by not doing the hubcaps. If I did it more often I could occasionally forgo doing the roof except for a spray off.

So how does Bamaman do it in 5 minutes?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote