Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Car Windshield Replacement
Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Car Windshield Replacement

I am not getting satisfactory results researching the best outfit to have replace my car windshield so I figured I would check with the group think here. I have a long set of cracks in my windshield due to a stone being thrown up. I have a 2018 Lexus SUV with all the BS in the windshield taht entails, Lexus says $1170 to replace, Safelite says $535. Deductible is $500 so I am not inclined to file a claim.

When I check online reviews I get mixed results on everyone. Is there any reason to stick with the dealer on this or is Safelite (or similar services) just as good?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The dealer might be farming it out to satellite.
Call around i found no differences in where I got windshields except prices.

I need 2 replaced now, same detectable, waiting till they get worse or summertime.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Are you sure your deductible is $500? Most policies on glass breakage are far less even if comprehensive deductibles are $500. The mobile repair services are cheaper, easier to deal with, and they can contact your insurance company. They also do a better job of installation (vs. a dealer) since that's all they do.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Are you sure your deductible is $500? Most policies on glass breakage are far less even if comprehensive deductibles are $500. The mobile repair services are cheaper, easier to deal with, and they can contact your insurance company. They also do a better job of installation (vs. a dealer) since that's all they do.

I’ve never had to pay for a windshield replacement. My insurance always covered it, even with the Acura I had.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Call your car insurance. State rules vary, but twice in my life I've had a damaged window and both times it's been repaired ignoring deductible. (once with statefarm decades ago, once a year ago with geico).

They send someone to your house and do it in an hour, usually within 2 days. All arranged insurance. Zero cost to me.

ETA: it also doesn't count as a negative claim (like an accident or ticket/points) so the claim won't impact your future rates.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

The cheaper places might use windshields with more defects. No windshield is perfect, but some are quite annoying...we had to replace a replacement because there was some "Alice in Wonderland" going on right in front of the driver. It's hard to spot a defect when it's on the truck, but I'd make it known with whoever you choose that if you can spot a problem before or after installing, they're on the hook to get it replaced with a non-defective part. Also, pay attention to wind noise now, before replacement. That way you'll be more confident if they've not done a good job sealing it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I had safelite replace the cracked windshield in my previous truck. They did a good job - and in my driveway.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I vote for Safelite. Lifetime guarantee plus locations in all 50 states.

Personal anecdote. I do a LOT of highway driving, much in Ohio and Michigan, which results in cracked windshields from stones/road debris getting kicked up by trucks. I had my cracked windshield replaced by Safelite in Michigan about 8 years ago. (They waived my deductible, btw.)

Anyhoo, two years ago while I was snowbirding in Florida, I had a 'soaked front carpet' situation. I spent a lot of time and effort troubleshooting trying to find the source of the water, with no clear success. I was getting tired of trying to 'eliminate one thing at a time'...so, on a whim, I called Safelite and asked if an aging windshield seal might be causing the leak. They said "Possibly. Bring your car in and we'll take a look at it". They did a very cursory leak test....hand-held hose spraying water on it...didn't see any evidence of leaking..and STILL went ahead and replaced the windshield under the lifetime warranty. At zero cost to me.

Whatever was leaking and causing the wet carpet disappeared, but I'm still not sure what the root cause was... it may have been the windshield seal or something else. But I was very impressed that Safelite replaced the windshield with no questions asked.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Safelite was recommended by State Farm and they did a lousy job on the driver's side window that was likely shattered by a flying rock from one of the lawn guys. I am still finding pieces of glass under the mats and stuck in the carpet. The roll up/down function is not as good as it was and the tint is slightly off. Definitely NOT OEM glass. I paid because it was less than the deductible.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had windshields replaced twice, and both times the insurance covered it even though I had a large deductible. They consider a windshield that is cracked to be a safety hazard and replaced it. I used mobile places, one a private party through a recommendation and the second was a Safelite type of place. Both did a great job. As mentioned above, re-check with your insurance company and if they won't pay go with Safelite.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Under my Geico policy it is covered under collision with a $500 deductible. I called to confirm. They use Safelite. I'm going to pay it out of pocket and use Safelite.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Last time I replaced the windshield on my truck (about two years ago) I called the insurance company, they told me who to get and it was replaced in my driveway at no charge.
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #13

Whether covered by your insurance without any out of pocket depends on your state and your policy. You can find lower cost than Safelite if you call around.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Whether covered by your insurance without any out of pocket depends on your state and your policy. You can find lower cost than Safelite if you call around.
+1
Last year had two windshields replaced (RV and auto). Since my deductible was $1000 on each rig, I shopped around a bit. My long-time auto mechanic recommended a local guy who turned out to be about 25% less than Safelite quoted. He also came to my home for the installs which were done on the same day. Safelite did replace one for me back when my insurance covered it but had no reason to shop around on that one.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I called the dealership (Honda) who didn't do them but recommended someone to me. Said they sent all their customers there. If your dealership replaces them, call around to other makes and ask them if they do them, and if not, who would they recommend.

The person who did mine said Safelite uses a single mold to crank out windshield after windshield and as they go on, more and more defects happen. Supposedly, they use the mold until breaks. Also supposedly, the company this guy used only made a certain number of windshields before going to a new mold... they sold their old molds to Safelite (again, supposedly).

The guy replaced my windshield for $250 for a minivan. I paid OOP because insurance would count it against me. He came to my house and swapped them out in the driveway. Bonus for me was that he was just a local guy with a small business and I enjoyed talking to him. He also let me watch the process.

I'd call around to mechanics and chat up some local folk (church, grocery, Autozone, etc), and see what the offerings are where you live.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #16

Here in Arizona, the state mandates zero deductible for windshields. Both cars in our household had windshields replace in the last year. Safelite did one and it seems to be fine. I then used a local outfit that paid me $125 to have it replaced under insurance. For that deal I had to take it in to their facility. The manufacturer is a major chinese OEM company and the quality looks good to me - no distortion for example. I'd definitely use them again.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I had safelite replace the cracked windshield in my previous truck. They did a good job - and in my driveway.
Same experience here a few years ago on DW's car. Only it was raining so I put the car in the garage so he could work in there.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

On the Highlander forum, this has been discussed and it appears that the camera / electronics need to be reflashed if the windshield is replaced. This has to be done at the dealer. Not sure if it can be a two step process - Safelite then dealer?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I had a 2011 Lexus RX-350 windshield replaced by SafeLite in their shop. I could not be more pleased with the service and the price. The windshield is indistinguishable from the original. I was able to examine the windshield closely before they put it on my car.

I have another car with wiz-bang stereo cameras and the dealer scares people into thinking only a dealer can replace the windshield because things have to be "recalibrated." I don't see how there is any recalibration do to at all.

I also saw lots of anguish about where to put your EZ-tag which all turned out to be BS. People were thinking all the little black dots and shading were important. They are not important except to provide shading and an esthetically pleasing edge. The replacement windshields have all the identical shading, so recalibration should not be necessary and you can glue a sticker into the black dot areas.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #20

2018 Subaru CroosTrek. So, I just went to the Safelight web site just to see what it would cost, $1300 for windshield and $300 for the calibration. Holy crap $1600+ 8.25 sales tax
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote