Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1717 View Post
+1 or a Mazda

I would avoid Fiat 500 ......research owner satisfaction./.....always at the bottom

I had a Mazda GLC when young.... loved the car even though very underpowered... it was a good car (mostly)....

I might have bought another until Ford got their hands on Mazda.... I hate Ford.. all but one was a piece of junk....

SOOO, Mazda is now associated with Ford in my mind and always will be...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Whoa...check out the Bentley & Maserati sales! They will never keep the doors open

My Volvo 26th place of 36

I have had enough of cheap cars and expensive repairs. Now I just go right to the expensive repairs
We have had our Ghibli for a year now and I can honestly say I am head over heals for a vehicle. The 400hp engine gets me off the Houston on ramps onto the highway lickety split. Pricey but worth every penny.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Are there downsides to owning a hybrid? Thinking my next car will be a hybrid as I do a lot of in-town driving with longer road trips for fun. Not thinking Prius specifically, but with so many models now available as hybrids, there has been plenty of experience to discover the downsides.

-Rita
DW and I rented a Hybrid Full Sized Sedan Hyundai Sonata when in Napa this summer. Ride was nice, but no room in trunk for 4 suitcases. Forced to put two in back seat because the batteries are under trunk.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
DW and I rented a Hybrid Full Sized Sedan Hyundai Sonata when in Napa this summer. Ride was nice, but no room in trunk for 4 suitcases. Forced to put two in back seat because the batteries are under trunk.
That's the nice thing about the Prius -- in addition to the stingy fuel economy, the hatchback and fold-down rear seats make it surprisingly versatile for hauling this and that.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I had a Mazda GLC when young.... loved the car even though very underpowered... it was a good car (mostly)....

I might have bought another until Ford got their hands on Mazda.... I hate Ford.. all but one was a piece of junk....

SOOO, Mazda is now associated with Ford in my mind and always will be...
We had a 1995 Mazda Millenia (Japanese spelling, I guess) that we enjoyed thoroughly. It was Mazda's attempt to break into the Lexus/Acura market, and was easily the plushest car we have ever owned -- including several Mercedes and BMWs. The aluminum suspension minimized unsprung weight. Its one flaw was its clunky Jatco 4-speed transmission, which was disinclined to let the 2.5L V6 wind up into its torque band. Rust got the best of the car around 225K miles, and we donated it to a charity.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
That's what my new Q50 has. Uses lot of gas too. Buying oil stocks.
I had to look it up. 2018 Q50 3.0t AWD? It is rated 19/26 City/Highway MPG. Not bad. Better than my 17 yr old Jimmy. Of course, I'm only driving about 3k miles per year. Gas cost in the Jimmy is the least of my worries.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #107

DD is returning from Ireland with her Master's Degree in a few weeks. When we dropped her off she thought it was cool that her dad was driving a 5 speed manual on the wrong side of the road. She said that she would like to learn how to drive a stick. So I just bought a 2004 Nissan 350Z with a 6 speed manual. Lots of extras on this one. We will have fun with it this summer and then maybe sell it in the fall if she doesn't want it. Paid 55% of book so should resell easily.350Z.JPG

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Visiting a friend in FLA and drove the BMW Z4 280 miles to get there. 80 degrees each day with the top down.
Every time I drive the car, it feels like a retirement, even though I had the car before retirement.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Are there downsides to owning a hybrid? Thinking my next car will be a hybrid as I do a lot of in-town driving with longer road trips for fun. Not thinking Prius specifically, but with so many models now available as hybrids, there has been plenty of experience to discover the downsides.
Rita: I have a year old Camry Hybrid, and it gets 48.5 mpg @ 75 mph and about 52 mpg in city driving. With 34K miles, it's never seen the shop. And it's actually quicker accelerating than the gas only version. What I like is the quietness of the car, and it's just so smooth. Mine has a lithium battery under that back seat so I'm not giving up any trunk room.

Toyota said last month they're not going all electric. They can make 1,500,000 hybrid cars with the same batteries it takes to make 350,000 all electric cars.

If Prius Hybrids hold up in New York City cabs, they'll do anyone a good job.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Rita: I have a year old Camry Hybrid, and it gets 48.5 mpg @ 75 mph and about 52 mpg in city driving.
so zero to 60 in about what, 10 seconds?

Old 04-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

Quote:
Like its predecessor, the 2018 Camry SE also is available with a gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain or a 3.5-liter V-6. The former option produces a combined 208 horsepower and managed to scoot from zero to 60 mph in 7.9 seconds and from 50 to 70 mph in 5.1 seconds.
https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/camry
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

so the "performance" model does 0 to 60 in 8 seconds?

PASS
Old 04-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
so the "performance" model does 0 to 60 in 8 seconds?

PASS
It is a Camry . Get over it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Cars , Cars and more Cars for the car guys
Old 04-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Cars , Cars and more Cars for the car guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman
Rita: I have a year old Camry Hybrid, and it gets 48.5 mpg @ 75 mph and about 52 mpg in city driving. With 34K miles, it's never seen the shop. And it's actually quicker accelerating than the gas only version. What I like is the quietness of the car, and it's just so smooth. Mine has a lithium battery under that back seat so I'm not giving up any trunk room.

Toyota said last month they're not going all electric. They can make 1,500,000 hybrid cars with the same batteries it takes to make 350,000 all electric cars.

I have an older hybrid Camry whose mileage is not as good as the new ones, but it still averages 38mpg. My neighbor’s little Fiat 500 gets about 32 and is a lot smaller and more cramped.

600+ miles on a tank of gas at highway speeds.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_hitter View Post

IMG_0611.JPG

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #116
Gone but not forgotten

1996 Cadillac STS..(bottom). 87K miles. Showroom new looks. White w/blue conv. top.
Book value $1000. Emotional value... Priceless...

and... this 98 Lincoln Town CAR... also value $1000. 113K mi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96caddy.jpg (7.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg STS 1996.jpg (98.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 96 sts.jpg (461.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #117
gone traveling

if I owned a prius, I would probably not go for a drive just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1208161350.jpg (423.6 KB, 18 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

The real test for high performance cars, from mmemory in the late seventies waiting in a traffic jam on the LA freeways was, how doeas it idle in August for a half an hour without overheating?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Unfortunately this car has the same problem I have in a lot of cars. The center console does not give enough room for my right leg. I am 6'6" with legs longer than average for that height. Some cars I can't even get my right leg past the steering wheel. I wish they would move the console over a few inches even if they have to curve ita little to face the driver. I'm going to try the new Rav4 Hybrid and the Prius AWD since I live in Wisconsin.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The real test for high performance cars, from mmemory in the late seventies waiting in a traffic jam on the LA freeways was, how doeas it idle in August for a half an hour without overheating?
And in order to keep the engine coolant temperature rise from blowing head gaskets, you had to run the heater full blast and keep the A/C compressor off.