Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
Administrator

I was listening to the BBC news on the radio this afternoon and this was discussed. He was referring to days before WW II when there were an awful lot of hungry people about. An English lady was also on the BBC program and she was born in Italy and grew up there during that time period. She said that you had you live it to understand what it was like to be so hungry. Although she said that she had never knowingly eaten cat or dog her family did breed and eat rabbits and guinea pigs to eat. She said it was many years before she realized that 'normal' folks had guinea pigs only as pets.

Here is an article from The Times.

Celebrity chef Beppe Bigazzi upsets viewers with his cat casserole - Times Online

Quote:
He added: “Mind you, I wasn’t joking all that much. In the 1930s and 1940s, when I was a boy, people certainly did eat cat

in the countryside around Arezzo.” Food historians said that Italians in cities such as Vicenza devised cat recipes in times of economic hardship. Inhabitants of Vicenza are still nicknamed magnagati (cat eaters), and in some butchers’ shops rabbits are sold with their heads to assure buyers that they are not cats.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Read the story to my boy Blue, cata non grata. He purred throughout, as he also is of the opinion that his world would be much better if there were far fewer cats. Maybe then we would recognize his humanity.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I guess all I really want to say is please know there are many wonderful cats worthy of love and affection. And there are many of us out here who love them dearly.
It could be worse, you know.

mental_floss Blog » 6 More Cannibal Killers
Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chinese restaurants?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...I'm...weak...can't...resist...

I like cats. Fried, broiled, stewed.
sushi...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #26

Italian TV Chef Giuseppe Bigazzi Suspended for Love of Cat Stew - AOL News

The Chef was suspended for this cat stew issue. As a cat lover I say "good!!!"
Old 02-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
As a cat lover I say "good!!!"
....as in good eatin'.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I've posted a deleted about 5 replies to this thread already. I just can't seem to find the words. I love my cats and this is just too horrible for me to think about.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
I've posted a deleted about 5 replies to this thread already. I just can't seem to find the words. I love my cats and this is just too horrible for me to think about.
We wouldn't dream of eating Bob or Eddie... no worries...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

With all of the various ethnic groups that consider various pets a delicacy around here, it is sort of standing joke when a pet goes missing that he is in somebodies stew.

However, from Italy I am shocked I thought they had better taste. Personally, I'd be more inclined to eat people "It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people.", then any feline.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
We wouldn't dream of eating Bob or Eddie... no worries...
I know. Folks are just joking around. I tend to get so serious when it comes to my furry companions. They're just so trusting and loving.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know. Folks are just joking around. I tend to get so serious when it comes to my furry companions. They're just so trusting and loving.
Purron, when I was a little girl in the 60's, it upset me when boys would make what they thought were hilarious remarks about wanting to torture and kill cats, including mine. All the adults said, "Pay no attention to them, boys will be boys." It saddens me that apparently some of them never grew out of the idea that hurting cats, or hurting the feelings of people who love cats, is somehow funny and acceptable. Nobody ever makes jokes about torturing or killing dogs or other animals, just cats.

Amethyst
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I wanted to let this thread develop a bit before I contributed a college story...
I was required to live on campus for my freshman year. This of course made it a requirement for me to eat at the on-campus dining halls.
The dining hall nearest my dorm had a dumpster with no panels hiding it. Whenever I went to class, I would see a bunch of cats hanging around, helping themselves to thrownaway food in the dumpster.
One day, I noticed all of the cats were gone. I went to classes as usual, then headed over to the hall to meet my roomates for dinner. The main course that night was Veal Parmiagiana.
I got my food, sat down, and then a really evil thought popped into my head.
I mentioned the sudden disappearance* of the cats, took a bite, chewed very dramatically, made a strange face, and just watched the expressions on my roommates' faces.

* My guess is the cats were students' contraband pets (left behind), and the college authorities finally trapped them and removed them to stop them from multiplying and ranging over campus.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Purron, when I was a little girl in the 60's, it upset me when boys would make what they thought were hilarious remarks about wanting to torture and kill cats, including mine. All the adults said, "Pay no attention to them, boys will be boys." It saddens me that apparently some of them never grew out of the idea that hurting cats, or hurting the feelings of people who love cats, is somehow funny and acceptable. Nobody ever makes jokes about torturing or killing dogs or other animals, just cats.

Amethyst
Thanks Amethyst. Bob sends purrs and headbumps your way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob on table.JPG (396.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I've been thinking about this thread a lot, particularly the remarks made by Amethyst. I haven't shared this with anyone - not even my mother or best friends. My DH and I have a nephew we have been very close to since he was a baby and have helped through many hard times.

A few years ago we were visiting him and he told us about a "crazy cat lady" who lived nearby and had a ton of cats. He lives in a rural part of Virginia. You know, land of pick up trucks with Confererate flags and gun racks. He then told us about how he got out a shotgun and killed a number of them. I was stunned and unable to respond. I still haven't gotten over this. Why would he do such a thing then tell his Aunt who he knows in a cat lover and rescue person? More importantly, why didn't I say something to him at the time?

I don't know why cruelty to cats is often treated as acceptable and even funny. Those of us who love them are often looked at as "crazy cat people". I'm not crazy. Like many other people, I happen to find cats very loveable. Cruelty to them is horrifying to me and not funny at all. I'm proud of the many years I've spend trying to help homeless animals - particularly cats and kittens. My DH and I have fostered dozens of them.

Here are a few of their faces. Please think twice about making fun of cruelty to cats, or any other animals. It really hurts. I'm not going to stand by and act like it's OK when it just kills me inside. If I could go back in time, I would have given my nephew the riot act. Can't do it now. His life is a major mess and it wouldn't be right after so long.

The worst forms of cruelty are to those who are helpless. Children, the elderly, and yes, animals. As Ghandi said "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Humbee.JPG (411.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tabby2.JPG (41.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Panda4.JPG (472.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Peggy Sue.jpg (23.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Coventry.JPG (432.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Purron, the cats in your photos are adorable.

If it is any consolation, children often (usually?) seem to "pick up" on our feelings, and know what we are wanting to say without even having to say a word to them.

Also, I, for one, would never shoot a cat or treat one unkindly. The worst I would ever do is take one to the Humane Society if I didn't want it or couldn't care for it. Thank you for standing up for cats.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The worst forms of cruelty are to those who are helpless. Children, the elderly, and yes, animals.
Lawmakers Consider an Animal Abuse Registry
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
.....................Also, I, for one, would never shoot a cat or treat one unkindly. ................
And I promise I would never eat one....knowingly.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtjas View Post
Speaking of which, there's a great show on the Food Network where the host travels around eating really strange food. I'm talking everything from insects to testicles. The host is a heavy set bald guy, I can't think of his name or the show's name. His motto is: "If it looks good, eat it". There's a lot stranger food than cat stew that people could be condemning this 77 year old Italian cooking show host for.
Andrew Zimmer is the guy. I just had a holiday delicacy of rooster testicles. Also had tarantula in Cambodia once. Next time I'm in Italy ....
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The cat eaters of Cameroon

BBC NEWS | UK | The cat eaters of Cameroon

Pa Adangwa John, another of the diners, told me that joining their cat eating group would bring good luck. And as evidence he told me that before going to ask for the hand of his girlfriend in marriage, he ate some cat meat to be sure she would not turn him down. She is now his wife.
Hell, that's good enough for me ... Pass the tabby please.