Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I took JPatrick's comment to be a little sarcastic joke. But I did wonder if it is standard practice for police to reveal their occupation in this situation, and why.
As far as I know, it is standard. A close relative routinely uses his creds to get out of traffic violations.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #42

The main reason cops don't give other cops tickets is because you never know when a cop is going to be conducting a traffic stop and need help from someone. That help might include saving his life. Just about any cop I know is going to stop and help if he sees something like that even if it includes risking his life to do it. Cops belong to a brotherhood and unless you have experienced the things that cops do over a 25 year career, you will never understand.

Don't tell me that the doctors on this board charge other doctors full price for a medical procedure or lawyers charge other lawyers for their services. There are very few fringe benefits of being a cop, but not getting tickets (within reason happens to be one of them). The amount of money saved by getting free medical care or legal services, ect is worth a lot more than the ticket costs.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
The best thing to do in that part of Texas is to get off the 4-lane and onto the 2-lane secondary (FM?) roads where you can play the Texas-Pass-On-The-Shoulder game.

For those who don't know, In Texas you are allowed to pass on the right shoulder and you are EXPECTED to move to the right shoulder when a vehicle approaches from your rear. Proper Texas etiquette requires you to move to the right shoulder as soon as you see a vehicle in your rear view mirror.
I dont have every Texas law memorized but Ive never heard of it being legal to pass on the right shoulder. Pretty sure driving on the shoulder for any reason other than an emergency is illegal.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
You know street view is sometimes months old right?
In this case, the date of the pictures is April '09
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #45

Quote:
I dont have every Texas law memorized but Ive never heard of it being legal to pass on the right shoulder. Pretty sure driving on the shoulder for any reason other than an emergency is illegal.
Probably legal on designated roads. I remember driving on the two lane to A & M (The University of Texas) and seeing signs advising slow traffic to pull over (or words to that effect.) That piece of road was ideal as it was flat and had very nice shoulders. Worked fine and safe too. More Texas common sense.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
A & M (The University of Texas)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #47

Quote:
The main reason cops don't give other cops tickets is because you never know when a cop is going to be conducting a traffic stop and need help from someone. That help might include saving his life. Just about any cop I know is going to stop and help if he sees something like that even if it includes risking his life to do it. Cops belong to a brotherhood and unless you have experienced the things that cops do over a 25 year career, you will never understand.

Don't tell me that the doctors on this board charge other doctors full price for a medical procedure or lawyers charge other lawyers for their services. There are very few fringe benefits of being a cop, but not getting tickets (within reason happens to be one of them). The amount of money saved by getting free medical care or legal services, ect is worth a lot more than the ticket costs.
I have no problem with this as long as the traffic violation was not stupidly dangerous.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
+1 I've never heard of that. However, it is expected/traditional that slower traffic moves to the shoulder on these roads to let the guy behind you go through. We used to see this done all the time on on our drives to visit DS in College Station years ago.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
...it is expected/traditional that slower traffic moves to the shoulder on these roads to let the guy behind you go through.
+1

I though it was required. You see signs all over TX warning you of the "Drive Friendly" law.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I remember driving on the two lane to A & M (The University of Texas)
You must be confusing A University in Texas with The University of Texas. A while back I promised no more Aggie jokes so I'll leave it at that.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think he has it wrong.... and not sure if it is legal or not, but people pass using the shoulder IF someone is stopped in the road waiting to take a left turn... I have not heard of or seen someone passing another car moving at speed on the right side...

It is common if you are slow to move to the shoulder so other can pass you without worrying about oncoming traffic... but, you only do this if you know the road you are on... sometimes those shoulders will disappear quickly....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A while back I promised no more Aggie jokes so I'll leave it at that.
Just as well I guess, it must be really difficult to come up with material these days..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote