Join Early Retirement Today

CBS - Survivor Winners At War question (spoiler warning)
Old 04-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CBS - Survivor Winners At War question (spoiler warning)

In this week's episode of CBS' reality show Survivor, after Tyson won the challenge to come back from Edge of Extinction and rejoin the game, Jeff Probst said that the EoE players would become the jury.

He also said they'd have another chance to get back in the game. How do you think this is going to happen? Will it be another challenge to get back in, or something else? If something else, what? When do you think this is going to happen?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

In the past they have had people come back twice from eviction. I forget which season it was, like season 302 or something?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
In the past they have had people come back twice from eviction. I forget which season it was, like season 302 or something?
After a bit of research, I think you're thinking of Redemption Island, which is a similar sort of idea in the Blood vs. Water season.

Further research shows this is only the second time they've had the EoE island, and in the first round (two seasons ago) it was a one-shot deal.

Well, something for me to think about while staring at the wall.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do think it's going to be another challenge. Or perhaps who has the most fire tokens. My question is...if Tyson is voted off again, does he go back to EOE and have another chance to get back into the game?

I want Rob to win.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I do think it's going to be another challenge. Or perhaps who has the most fire tokens. My question is...if Tyson is voted off again, does he go back to EOE and have another chance to get back into the game?

I want Rob to win.
I think if (when) Tyson is voted off, he'd go to EoE again and have the possibility of a 2x round trip as long as EoE were still in effect. The other scenario is they hold the second challenge to get back in and then Tyson gets voted off after that, so his torch snuff would be permanent.

That logic makes me think they'll do the second challenge (or whatever) rather late in the game (like maybe with 6-8 players left). But then that brings up the argument that EoE players get somewhat of a free(r) ride, so they'll have to balance that out.

Rob and his family are a likeable bunch, so I'd be happy to see him win. I'm sort of any anybody-but-Adam person as I don't like Adam's on-screen personality. But I also recognize that the way they edit you and who you actually are can be quite different.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would like to see Denise win it all after that epic move to get Sandra. The queen bee got stung on that one. I agree it will be a challenge or tokens for the others to get back into the game.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I would like to see Denise win it all after that epic move to get Sandra. The queen bee got stung on that one. I agree it will be a challenge or tokens for the others to get back into the game.
Agree that move by Denise was EPIC! Her style of play is so subtle she's easy to underestimate.

I still like Rob but I'd pleased if Denise won. Adam is just "icky".
I hope he goes soon. And Nick....he's pretty surprising sometimes. He started his winning moves late in the game last time....I think he is one to watch.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #8

I’m glad to know some others here watch. My husband thinks I’m insane to watch it.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:28 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We love it. Recently we subscribed to CBS All Access & binge watched the first season. The show has changed so much from 2000. The players have become much more strategic.
TriumphTR3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #10

I am really enjoying this season. It's being played so differently than any season previously, especially at the tribal councils. So much intentional chaos!

Anyway....hope Rob gets back in and takes the 2 mil.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #11

Looks like Tony has them all buffaloed right now, but I think he gets picked off before the end.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphTR3fan View Post
We love it. Recently we subscribed to CBS All Access & binge watched the first season. The show has changed so much from 2000. The players have become much more strategic.

I’ve watched since the beginning. A few months ago, I rewatched the first season on Amazon Prime. They really cast that season well, as there were so many memorable characters.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #13

I know it is silly, but I've been in a Survivor "pool" for years with coworker friends. Everyone throws in $10, and you get assigned one of the survivors.

You win money if your survivor is one of the last 4 survivors, and you can also win money if your survivor does something predefined as a payout move. Example: First to find an idol, or first to play an idol.

I have Yul, and didn't win anything.

I always want the majority group to get blindsided later in the game. I love to see the tables turned. So I'm rooting for the two women not in the majority to team up with the person from Exile Island, and overthrow the top three. That would be fun to watch.

I tend to not like Rob, because he uses almost mafia like tactics to make sure nobody goes against him. If he came back from Exile, and managed to win it all, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Enjoy the final. JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #14

I've been a "Rob" fan all along, but that Natalie.....she is really impressive. I would be thrilled if she got back in and won.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #15

I agree, it would be difficult to root against Natalie. I didn't remember that she was the first one sent to the Island. She seems like the strongest one over there.

I don't want Tony or Ben to win for some reason. I do think editing is everything in this show. They can make anyone look good or bad.

JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I've been a "Rob" fan all along, but that Natalie.....she is really impressive. I would be thrilled if she got back in and won.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #16

I like Natalie, but I find the concept of the Edge really unfair. All those people spend time at the Edge, not backstabbing, not arguing, but instead forming supportive relationships. Then someone gets back in and all the people on the edge, who have become their friends, are on the jury. I believe that creates an unfair advantage.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #17

Ally,
I agree. Anyone on that Island will win if they get to the final 3, except maybe Nick.

The other players realize this, and will be aiming to take the returning person out.

She has an idol too. I'm surprised they are letting people keep or have idols on exile island. If someone with an idol returns, I think they will win.

Hopefully it will be fun to watch on Wednesday.

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I like Natalie, but I find the concept of the Edge really unfair. All those people spend time at the Edge, not backstabbing, not arguing, but instead forming supportive relationships. Then someone gets back in and all the people on the edge, who have become their friends, are on the jury. I believe that creates an unfair advantage.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #18

So far, I think Tony has made the most moves and controlled the game play more than any other one person. That should be the recipe to win, but it is usually more of a popularity contest and that will cost him the chance to win. Staying out of the group at the Edge is an accomplishment in itself. I would
rather see someone that has played the game the entire time win, not someone that made friends on the Edge with little competition.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
You make an excellent point. It will be interesting to see if that advantage plays out.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think Natalie has an excellent position in the game because she managed to find two different advantages on EoE, which translated into about 14 fire tokens, which she turned into three advantages in the challenge to get back in the game next week, as well as a jar of peanut butter and an idol (or maybe she found the idol at some point, I don't recall).

Remember that on EoE it's a miserable existence - no real shelter, very minimal food / shade / water, and they have the option to quit at any time.

But, in order to win from EoE, she has to win the challenge to get back in, which means she'll have to beat the other ~12 players on EoE in the challenge. Then she'll have a big target on her back because all the other remaining players in the game will realize they can't win against her in the jury vote, so she'll have to win the final immunity challenge to prevent that. Then she has to convince the jury, which will probably give it to her, especially if she pulls a Rick Devins (?) and gives her final immunity away and then wins back into final three via the fire-making challenge.

I think the producers are going to re-think the fire token aspect to the game. It's new, and adds a lot of complexity to the game, but it may also distort what they're going for. I think in general they may be going to far with complexity - all the variety of idols (50/50, safety without power, disadvantages for other players), EoE, commerce between two sites and donations to other players and loans via fire tokens. It'll be interesting to see how they proceed in future seasons with the game complexity, maybe even more so than the players and the game itself.

Tags
survivor