CD's to be extinct by 2012?

As far as I am concerned CDs are already extinct. I have been buying all my music in MP3 format for the past 2 years. Why? First CDs take too much space. And second, why would I buy a $17 CD to only listen to 2 out of 12 songs? I'd rather buy only the music I like and put it on my ipod. I have a ipod boombox to listen to my music at home (or in my office I just play the music directly on my computer), and in the car I have a special attachment that allows me to connect the ipod to my car audio system. I really don't need CDs anymore.
Add me to this camp. Started converting my CD's to MP3's in early 2005 and switched to iTunes and bought my first iPod in May 2005. Listen to the iPod in the office (dock & portable speakers) every day, in the car (long trips), and remotely. It's also a godsend when traveling to listen/watch while waiting in airports and while in flight. Also listen on my PC, background while working on other apps. I can't imagine buying a CD now when I can download almost any album for $9.99 or better yet, just the songs I want for $0.99 each.

And my newest iPod does video (I watched the pbs Retirement Revolution show at lunch yesterday - free download) and wifi - I can surf anywhere while eating breakfast at Panera Bread. I have surfed this site, reading and answering, on my iPod from Panera Bread. All my holdings are listed so I can get up to date quotes with charts out 2 years anytime. I have my favorite movies on my iPod and there is a lot of legal free video content on iTunes and elsewhere. All this on a device that's hardly bigger than a credit card. To me the iPod is the greatest gadget invented since the PC.

Last edited:
I thought this was going to refer to financial CDs, not music CDs. I was prepared to ask if everyone is expected to put "safe money" into Treasuries and money markets as a result...

It would seem that if CDs have a life expectancy of 10 years, you could make new copies every few years so there would always be a good one. You could call it a CD ladder. ^-^

Just got my mp3 player at Christmas. So far have just downloaded favorites from cd's onto it. Haven't downloaded any from the web yet. Will probably still buy some cds to listen to in the car. Will wait till I get a new one to get satelite radio or mp3 connection there. By then will have given up on cds though.

And my newest iPod does video (I watched the pbs Retirement Revolution show at lunch yesterday - free download) and wifi - I can surf anywhere while eating breakfast at Panera Bread. I have surfed this site, reading and answering, on my iPod from Panera Bread. All my holdings are listed so I can get up to date quotes with charts out 2 years anytime. I have my favorite movies on my iPod and there is a lot of legal free video content on iTunes and elsewhere. All this on a device that's hardly bigger than a credit card. To me the iPod is the greatest gadget invented since the PC.

Thanks for the info., Midpack. IMO, Apple does a poor job of getting the word out about what its products can do. I'm thinking of getting one of the new video iPods, for use in addition to the Kindle. Ah, my goal is to be tech-current, for now.

Yes I love my Ipod Touch too. I am typing this post on it while sitting at Barnes and Noble using their wifi. On my ipod, I have all my music, 10 movies (and still room for 5 more), pictures of my wife, of our cats and of our latest vacation, all my appointments, all my contacts' information, stock quotes, google maps, email, weather forecasts, a notepad, an internet browser and so much more! It is really fantastic! But next time I will get the iphone so that I can use all the online functions anywhere and not just at wifi locations.
But interestingly I use it the most at home (using our home wifi network which we installed specifically to use with the ipod) so that I can check this forum from my coach or from the backyard without being stuck in front of a desktop. I can't wait for those new ipod and iphone applications coming up in June...
I also love using it on the road. When we travel to Europe for several weeks at a time for example, we don't need to travel with a laptop anymore (which was a pain at airport security). I log in to my parents' secured wifi to check email, stock quotes, surf the internet and even access files on my PC thousands of miles away. It's just great. Viva la revolucion! (the technological revolution that is...).

Yes I love my Ipod Touch too. I am typing this post on it while sitting at Barnes and Noble using their wifi. On my ipod, I have all my music, 10 movies (and still room for 5 more), pictures of my wife, of our cats and of our latest vacation, all my appointments, all my contacts' information, stock quotes, google maps, email, weather forecasts, a notepad, an internet browser and so much more! It is really fantastic! But next time I will get the iphone so that I can use all the online functions anywhere and not just at wifi locations.
But interestingly I use it the most at home (using our home wifi network which we installed specifically to use with the ipod) so that I can check this forum from my coach or from the backyard without being stuck in front of a desktop. I can't wait for those new ipod and iphone applications coming up in June...
I also love using it on the road. When we travel to Europe for several weeks at a time for example, we don't need to travel with a laptop anymore (which was a pain at airport security). I log in to my parents' secured wifi to check email, stock quotes, surf the internet and even access files on my PC thousands of miles away. It's just great. Viva la revolucion! (the technological revolution that is...).
Could you comment on the screen quality (especially for us old guys who have trouble seeing :D). Also comment on the keyboard. I would love to travel without my laptop, but didn't think I had a real alternative.
oh btw, how about the costs?
Thanks.

Could you comment on the screen quality (especially for us old guys who have trouble seeing :D). Also comment on the keyboard. I would love to travel without my laptop, but didn't think I had a real alternative.
Thanks.
I wear reading glasses, so my eyesight is not the best. The newer iPod touch screen size/quality is much improved over the previous iPod. I watch taped TV and movies on mine for several hours when I travel and it's perfectly fine for that IMHO. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one without actually seeing one for yourself first. It's bigger than most phone screens, but still much smaller than a portable DVD player for example.

The internet capability requires you're in a wifi hot zone, so it's not the same as a wireless laptop. And the iPod "keyboard" is layed out like a PC, but it's strictly a one key at a time affair, you would not want to compose a letter on it. A BlackBerry would be a better alternative to a laptop in my view, but if you need a full size keyboard, I'd think you'd be unhappy with anything but a laptop. I think the iPod is great for the coffee shop and travel, but it was never intended to replace a PC/laptop, it's a second or support device. My 2¢...

Thanks.

In terms of the screen, it has amazing resolution and it is very bright (though I keep mine on a lower brightness setting to conserve battery power). My dad has really bad eyes but he had no problems using it. It has a 3.5" screen which is amazing for a device this small. Plus the advantage with the new ipod is that you can enlarge a lot of documents (email and webpages especially) which allows you to read fine prints no matter how small they are. Check out the demo movie on Apple's website.

The keyboard is a problem for some people. I have pretty fine fingers so I have no problem using it and I can type quite fast on it even with 2 fingers (at least as fast as my wife can type on her blackberry). But if you have thicker fingers I can see how you may have some problems using the keyboard (though I would think you might have the same problem with the blackberry's small keys). I would recommend going to your nearest Best Buy or Circuit City store and try the demo model for yourself.

Finally, the ipod is not really a business tool (yet). So if your need to type letters, prepare presentations or write long email with attachments, it is best to stick with a laptop. If you just want to stay "connected" while you are traveling (check emails, surf the web, check your stocks or quickly get a map of NYC), then it is ideal.

In terms of costs, expect to pay about $300 to $500 for the ipod touch depending on the capacity (8, 16 or 32 GB). To be able to connect to AT&T wifi networks at Barnes and Noble, Mc Donalds and other locations, count about $20 a month. To connect to wifi networks in airports and hotels, the daily rates vary but it usually around $7-10 a day.

Last edited:
First job after retirement is to take a lifetime of records, reel to reel tapes, 8 track tapes, cassettes and regular CDs and convert all of them to MP3 format. Problem is that it has to be done in real time, so I can clean the basement while this is on auto-pilot. I've seen decks that you can use to automatically convert records and cassette tapes to MP3 format and even have USB connectors. All these together will barely put a dent in my 160GB iPod. Just hoping that the tapes haven't become gummy or otherwise damage - most have not been played in well over 30 years. After that, on to the Beta and VHS cassettes and putting them on DVDs. Probably free up many, many linear feet of shelf space.

To be able to connect to AT&T wifi networks at Barnes and Noble, Mc Donalds and other locations, count about $20 a month. To connect to wifi networks in airports and hotels, the daily rates vary but it usually around $7-10 a day.
There are more and more free wi-fi hotspots every day though. Most schools and libraries are free. Several local restaurants, coffee shops and other places locally are free and Starbucks is talking about going free. I'd like to think it will be free at more places as time passes, but we'll see. I realize none of these are of much use for business travel though.

Given that I am still running my IBM Pentium 133 computer with Windows 2000, the fact that I just bought my first MP-3 player this week might be telling.

However, I only bought it so that I could rip my Teaching Company lecture CD's onto the MP-3 to listen to while I go walking outside for exercise. I currently walk in circles inside my house playing the lectures on my stereo.

I have yet to figure out how to buy MP-3 songs so CD's may have a little time left in them.

I would imagine that you would need some way to back up the MP-3 data on your little players. I am not sure how most people would be doing that in a few years. Maybe to BlueRay discs from the computer or maybe backing them up to Internet cloud somewhere.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the times. First it was my 8 track, then it was the cassettes and then it was the CD's which I was finally getting used to. Now my kids have got me hooked on youtube, Itunes, Limewire and the IPOD's.

What's an old goat like me to do?

I guess we need to roll with the times.

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

Given that I am still running my IBM Pentium 133 computer with Windows 2000, the fact that I just bought my first MP-3 player this week might be telling.

However, I only bought it so that I could rip my Teaching Company lecture CD's onto the MP-3 to listen to while I go walking outside for exercise. I currently walk in circles inside my house playing the lectures on my stereo.

I have yet to figure out how to buy MP-3 songs so CD's may have a little time left in them.

I would imagine that you would need some way to back up the MP-3 data on your little players. I am not sure how most people would be doing that in a few years. Maybe to BlueRay discs from the computer or maybe backing them up to Internet cloud somewhere.
You will enjoy your exercise MP3 player, that's a popular use for them.

And the mp3's you buy online become .mp3 files on your PC's hard drive as well as on your MP3 player, just as the songs you rip from your CD's. If you use iTunes (it's free BTW), it gives you are really easy way to organize your music (videos, podcasts, etc.) - and you don't have to have an iPod to use iTunes. So they are just as secure as any other files on your PC and you can back them up in the same way, as you wish. Not trying to push you, but if you like music to begin with, I think you might become even more 'curious' as time goes by.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have recently bought "How to listen to and enjoy great music" from the teaching company.

So far I have ordered a few CD's from amazon to go along with what the course was talking about at the moment.

The MP-3 download sounds like a LBYM way to do the same thing. I can download a few tracks rather than buying a whole CD.

I can also download the MP-3 version of the courses and save about $20 compared to the CD version.

Now if I can only figure out how to open up the box on the MP-3 player and hook it to the PC. Apparently it gets the power to recharge the battery through the USB cable. Either that or I need to buy a $50 charger to go with my $30 player :)

I went running with my CD player the other day, and it couldn't take the jostling, so I finally broke down, and put my toe in the MP3 player water by purchasing this when it was on sale for $20.

Very nice. I'm sure I'll get an iPod someday.

The keyboard is a problem for some people. I have pretty fine fingers so I have no problem using it and I can type quite fast on it even with 2 fingers (at least as fast as my wife can type on her blackberry). But if you have thicker fingers I can see how you may have some problems using the keyboard (though I would think you might have the same problem with the blackberry's small keys). I would recommend going to your nearest Best Buy or Circuit City store and try the demo model for yourself.

Very fat-fingered user here. I do much better typing on a Blackberry (one of the main reasons I chose it) keyboard than on a iXXX screen keyboard.

What are these "CD" things you speak of?

iPodInCar.jpg

Posted from my iPod Touch.

I don't think you are far off the mark with CD rates pushed to ridiculously low levels!

I too thought this was about certificates of deposit only because my dad tried to put some money into a CD and the credit union told him no thanks. They already had too much money on hand and no one to loan it to.:confused:

On the actual subject. I haven't used a Compact Disc in years. I use my Older 80 gig iPod in my truck and my iPod touch in when walking or working in the yard. I am slowly transferring all of my old cd's to my computer and I back them up on an external hard drive.

I am slowly transferring all of my old cd's to my computer and I back them up on an external hard drive.

Don't forget to back up the "library" also. I just did this on my system (Ubuntu with RhythmBox), but the same applies to iTunes. You might have the songs backed up, but if you don't also get the library (and know where to copy it to) you will lose all your playlists, ratings, etc.

BTW, this thread is about 2.5 years old. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'.

-ERD50

I haven't used a Compact Disc in years.
A couple years ago, as her Christmas present to us, our kid tracked down all of our old CDs and uploaded them into our very own iTunes account. It was a great bonding time, too-- she was alternately fascinated and horrified by what she found in the nooks & crannies.

Every time I look at my record albums and cassette tapes I decide to wait another year to see if iTunes will offer to let customers download 1960s-1980s tracks for a flat fee on unlimited "old stuff". It'll certainly be better than messing with audio patches and Audacity.

Holy back from the grave Batman! This thread is old.

The other day I was listening to an MP-3 player I had in the car and decided I wanted to change to the CD I had in the radio. Little did I know the last time I listened to the CD, it was on the exact same song I was listening to on the MP-3 player. The difference is sound was unbelievable. The song on the MP-3 player was ripped from the CD in the radio, but you'd think they were done by different groups. The CD sounded so much better. I will mourn the passing of the CD.

Holy back from the grave Batman! This thread is old.

The other day I was listening to an MP-3 player I had in the car and decided I wanted to change to the CD I had in the radio. Little did I know the last time I listened to the CD, it was on the exact same song I was listening to on the MP-3 player. The difference is sound was unbelievable. The song on the MP-3 player was ripped from the CD in the radio, but you'd think they were done by different groups. The CD sounded so much better. I will mourn the passing of the CD.

I haven't made the leap to mp3. I'm a slow adopter, having lots of cd's and lp's! But, mp3 CAN sound as good as CD. It is a matter of how it's been encoded. Or you can save in a different format that is lossless. You don't have to sacrifice sound quality to go disc-less. I'm sure others can give you a more technical explanation.

The song on the MP-3 player was ripped from the CD in the radio, but you'd think they were done by different groups. The CD sounded so much better. I will mourn the passing of the CD.

But, mp3 CAN sound as good as CD. It is a matter of how it's been encoded. Or you can save in a different format that is lossless. You don't have to sacrifice sound quality to go disc-less. I'm sure others can give you a more technical explanation.

Pretty close - but mp3 encoding will always lose some quality. As you say, at higher bit rate settings, it should be very good, and pretty tough (if not nearly impossible) for most people to tell the difference.

I encode just about everything in lossless (FLAC, being an open standard). It cuts the file size about in half, with zero loss in quality (everything gets re-constructed in bit-for-bit perfect match). A 250GB portable drive goes for about $50 now (close to 1000 CDs in loss-less format), I can't think of any reason to compress the music in a lossy format. At some point, you may need to re-encode it to another format, and with lossy you are going to lose again. With loss-less, no added degradation at all.

-ERD50

It is less about physical media and more about cost of distribution.

CD's could be replaced with other optical storage.

Wonder how long it will take for printed books to be the target?

Back
Top Bottom