Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Did you keep a screenshot proof that you did it ?

Otherwise how will you defend yourself when on trial with the other anti-census protesters
Heh. It's my backpocket move to avoid the next draft. I also saved the letter with my name on it.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The census is required to talley all residents. A citizenship question was not allowed because it might chill responses.
That is one thing that has always been a bit odd for me. One big use of the census is to apportion congressional districts. Within those congressional districts decided by the census, only citizens can vote in federal elections. So why do we use residents rather than citizens to apportion congressional districts?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That is one thing that has always been a bit odd for me. One big use of the census is to apportion congressional districts. Within those congressional districts decided by the census, only citizens can vote in federal elections. So why do we use residents rather than citizens to apportion congressional districts?
About 7% of the U.S. population is non-citizens. So one could argue that 7% of 435 Members of Congress, or about 30 full-time Member equivalents (FMEs) represent citizens of foreign countries.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 03-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #64

Quote:
Those congresscritters represent all the people in their districts, not just voting age citizens.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
@braumeister is correct. It's because the Constitution requires representation to be proportional to everyone living there, not just citizens. Back when it was written, they were accounting for Indians and slaves and mainly seemed to be thinking about those two situations. It was later amended around the time of the Civil War.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Those congresscritters represent all the people in their districts, not just voting age citizens.
Don't forget about children under 18 and incarcerated prisoners. With prisoners, we have had some litigation in New York State about where they are considered to be "living" when counted for the census. Is it where the prison is or where they were living prior to being imprisoned. We have thousands of upstate prisoners who were living in NYC before they got sent away, and there have been battles over where they get counted because that can swing representation in the state legislature.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 03-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #67

We completed our census the other day. It was easy and quick although I got stuck on the one about my heritage. I'm from HERE, the USA, but Mom's family was from Rumania/Hungary depending on who was answering the question. Dad's family was from Pennsylvania but originally from Lithuania (or was it Latvia?) I answered a mix of all that.

Besides this online census our household is also in the National Crime Victimization Survey. We got a letter about this last year and had an in person interview last summer. Our interviews were fairly quick because we haven't had any crimes.

Last month I had a follow up phone interview that included reporting some interaction with police that I had to report. I witnessed a car accident and I called the police to report it, stayed at the scene and spoke to the officer. Also had an officer show up at our house to ask a question about another matter. We will be getting phone interviews every six months for a while.

Didn't volunteer for this, can't opt out. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245
Old 03-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I completed our Census questions online, short form.

The reason for the ethnicity questions is so that employment data can be compared to census data. Ethnicity has been asked in the census many times.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Don't forget about children under 18 and incarcerated prisoners. With prisoners, we have had some litigation in New York State about where they are considered to be "living" when counted for the census. Is it where the prison is or where they were living prior to being imprisoned. We have thousands of upstate prisoners who were living in NYC before they got sent away, and there have been battles over where they get counted because that can swing representation in the state legislature.
That is an interesting situation. Never thought of it, but it does present a dilemma. What is the current directive? A small town with a big prison could definitely change local districts.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
@braumeister is correct. It's because the Constitution requires representation to be proportional to everyone living there, not just citizens. Back when it was written, they were accounting for Indians and slaves and mainly seemed to be thinking about those two situations. It was later amended around the time of the Civil War.
Not only slaves and Native Americans, but women couldn't vote then either (not until 100 years ago).
Old 03-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
I don't recall 'legal' as one of the questions.
it should've been.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 03-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #72
Administrator

Thank you all for an interesting discussion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porky still.jpg (11.5 KB, 36 views)