Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Census 2020
Old 03-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Census 2020

So I got a letter from the US Census Bureau, which directed me to log in to a website. The letter said it was required "by law" that I fill it out. I'd hate to be sent off to the slammer and have to explain to my fellow cons what I was in for. They'd probably treat me like a child molester and pummel me. Seemed like a lot of questions regarding whether I was hispanic in some for or another. I clicked on the "white" box, and was prompted to identify as German, Irish.....etc. I clicked on the "other" box and typed in "mixed breed." They also asked if I was married. If so, what kind of marriage was it; boy-boy, girl-girl, boy-girl. What in the world does our government do with all this information?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The govt needs to get with the times and save money by purchasing all this information from Facebook.

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The govt needs to get with the times and save money by purchasing all this information from Facebook.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
So I got a letter from the US Census Bureau, which directed me to log in to a website. The letter said it was required "by law" that I fill it out. I'd hate to be sent off to the slammer and have to explain to my fellow cons what I was in for. They'd probably treat me like a child molester and pummel me. Seemed like a lot of questions regarding whether I was hispanic in some for or another. I clicked on the "white" box, and was prompted to identify as German, Irish.....etc. I clicked on the "other" box and typed in "mixed breed." They also asked if I was married. If so, what kind of marriage was it; boy-boy, girl-girl, boy-girl. What in the world does our government do with all this information?
Careful, or you'll be sitting on the Group W bench!
Old 03-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
You beat me to it. You Don't want to be there with the mother rapers and all the others.

But you CAN get anything you want at Alice's.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #6

Speaking of the census, we received a postcard in the mail from the folks at the census bureau wanting to know if we'd like a temporary job helping out with the census. I think that means tracking down the people who didn't fill out the form online or by mail. You know, the folks who don't want the government bothering them.

No thank you.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #7

In my serious mode, it's funny how no one wants the gov't to know their stuff, but we (almost) all want emergency help...like in oh say a global pandemic?

I can also imagine that right now a lot of folks who signed up to be temp workers 3 months ago are turning it down now because...knocking on doors doesn't sound like the smart move today. Which does at least open options for those suddenly unemployed so there's that at least. Pay was $17 per hour in my area I think?

On a lighter (or darker note) the residency question asks, On 4/1/2020 will you be living at this address and there is no "well I hope so but maybe that's optimistic?" option
Old 03-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I can also imagine that right now a lot of folks who signed up to be temp workers 3 months ago are turning it down now because...knocking on doors doesn't sound like the smart move today. Which does at least open options for those suddenly unemployed so there's that at least. Pay was $17 per hour in my area I think?

On the other hand, a door-to-door count during a lockdown will be much more accurate.

I wonder what safety equipment they will issue the temp census workers?
Old 03-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Ok, you got me. I had to google "Group W bench", which descended into opening Spotify and listening to a nearly 19-minute Arlo Guthrie tune about a girl named Alice, and a restaurant, which wasn't really a restaurant. Good stuff, don't thing I've ever heard the long version of that song. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #10

I asked DW if she completed the forms but she said she did not know the answer to the question "What race do you SELF-IDENTIFY as?" Isn't this a fluid question? And the instructions want social definition, not biological or anthropological or genetic.

I am not making this up.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There were so durned many choices, I accidentally responded that we are same-sex spouses. The software did not believe me, and threw me an "are you sure - you said one of you was male and one was female."
Old 03-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Ok, you got me. I had to google "Group W bench", which descended into opening Spotify and listening to a nearly 19-minute Arlo Guthrie tune about a girl named Alice, and a restaurant, which wasn't really a restaurant. Good stuff, don't thing I've ever heard the long version of that song. Thanks.
There is a LONG story behind the whole song. While I don't currently agree with Arlo politically, given the times, the song is a piece of art.

Just Google it, or look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice%27s_Restaurant
Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
So I like a lot of questions regarding whether I was hispanic in some for or another. I clicked on the "white" box, and was prompted to identify as German, Irish.....etc. I clicked on the "other" box and typed in "mixed breed." They also asked if I was married. If so, what kind of marriage was it; boy-boy, girl-girl, boy-girl. What in the world does our government do with all this information?
when i'm asked on paper or in person about my heritage i always answer...I'm an American.

how many people live at our address...ok. the rest...nunya.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 03-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
In my serious mode, it's funny how no one wants the gov't to know their stuff, but we (almost) all want emergency help...like in oh say a global pandemic?

On a serious note, why does the government need to know anything except how many citizens and legal residents exist in each political district, and why does that have anything to do with emergency help?

Now, I'm not opposed to the census (long and short form) but tying that to government obligations or benefits is nonsense.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
Old 03-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #15

Quote:
The Census Bureau announced Friday it will push back many of its efforts connected to the 2020 census and dip into a $2 billion contingency fund to keep the count on track after being diverted by the coronavirus pandemic.

The census will now run through mid-August as the agency works to meet an end-of-year deadline to deliver the numbers that determine the makeup of Congress. Census Bureau deputy director Al Fontenot told reporters Friday the agency is also considering more changes to the process.
I also wonder about the questions. I get that they need to know everyone who lives here, names help. In the age of big data, they could actually compare consecutive censuses and see if there is some pattern to the difference. After that, it's just questions that various researchers are curious about. So race makes the list for every household, but educational attainment doesn't. I don't know why.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Census data are used for a lot of important functions by governments and industry. It is not a trivial, irrelevant exercise. Don't challenge me for cites - Google it yourself

As for volunteers, Census has already announced that they are suspending field visits. My guess is that this year's data will be far less accurate than previous decades.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Census data are used for a lot of important functions by governments and industry. It is not a trivial, irrelevant exercise. Don't challenge me for cites - Google it yourself
+1
Old 03-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I got the letter yesterday and went to the website. Took me 5 minutes to answer the easy questions. Being in a one-person household helped speed up things.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 03-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #19

The census is suspending door to door work.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #20

OK, so the letter is not a "scam". Was afraid to go to the website. Thanks posters, for giving me a heads up.

Seems, some of the questions, are pretty personal.......always, thought head count, was
just that.....

Closed Thread