Census 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
So I got a letter from the US Census Bureau, which directed me to log in to a website. The letter said it was required "by law" that I fill it out. I'd hate to be sent off to the slammer and have to explain to my fellow cons what I was in for. They'd probably treat me like a child molester and pummel me. Seemed like a lot of questions regarding whether I was hispanic in some for or another. I clicked on the "white" box, and was prompted to identify as German, Irish.....etc. I clicked on the "other" box and typed in "mixed breed." They also asked if I was married. If so, what kind of marriage was it; boy-boy, girl-girl, boy-girl. What in the world does our government do with all this information?

So I got a letter from the US Census Bureau, which directed me to log in to a website. The letter said it was required "by law" that I fill it out. I'd hate to be sent off to the slammer and have to explain to my fellow cons what I was in for. They'd probably treat me like a child molester and pummel me. Seemed like a lot of questions regarding whether I was hispanic in some for or another. I clicked on the "white" box, and was prompted to identify as German, Irish.....etc. I clicked on the "other" box and typed in "mixed breed." They also asked if I was married. If so, what kind of marriage was it; boy-boy, girl-girl, boy-girl. What in the world does our government do with all this information?
Careful, or you'll be sitting on the Group W bench! :LOL:

Speaking of the census, we received a postcard in the mail from the folks at the census bureau wanting to know if we'd like a temporary job helping out with the census. I think that means tracking down the people who didn't fill out the form online or by mail. You know, the folks who don't want the government bothering them.

No thank you.

In my serious mode, it's funny how no one wants the gov't to know their stuff, but we (almost) all want emergency help...like in oh say a global pandemic?

I can also imagine that right now a lot of folks who signed up to be temp workers 3 months ago are turning it down now because...knocking on doors doesn't sound like the smart move today. Which does at least open options for those suddenly unemployed so there's that at least. Pay was $17 per hour in my area I think?

On a lighter (or darker note) the residency question asks, On 4/1/2020 will you be living at this address and there is no "well I hope so but maybe that's optimistic?" option

I can also imagine that right now a lot of folks who signed up to be temp workers 3 months ago are turning it down now because...knocking on doors doesn't sound like the smart move today. Which does at least open options for those suddenly unemployed so there's that at least. Pay was $17 per hour in my area I think?

On the other hand, a door-to-door count during a lockdown will be much more accurate. :)

I wonder what safety equipment they will issue the temp census workers?

Careful, or you'll be sitting on the Group W bench! :LOL:

Ok, you got me. I had to google "Group W bench", which descended into opening Spotify and listening to a nearly 19-minute Arlo Guthrie tune about a girl named Alice, and a restaurant, which wasn't really a restaurant. Good stuff, don't thing I've ever heard the long version of that song. Thanks.

I asked DW if she completed the forms but she said she did not know the answer to the question "What race do you SELF-IDENTIFY as?" Isn't this a fluid question? And the instructions want social definition, not biological or anthropological or genetic.

I am not making this up.

There were so durned many choices, I accidentally responded that we are same-sex spouses. The software did not believe me, and threw me an "are you sure - you said one of you was male and one was female."

Ok, you got me. I had to google "Group W bench", which descended into opening Spotify and listening to a nearly 19-minute Arlo Guthrie tune about a girl named Alice, and a restaurant, which wasn't really a restaurant. Good stuff, don't thing I've ever heard the long version of that song. Thanks.

There is a LONG story behind the whole song. While I don't currently agree with Arlo politically, given the times, the song is a piece of art.

Just Google it, or look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice's_Restaurant

So I like a lot of questions regarding whether I was hispanic in some for or another. I clicked on the "white" box, and was prompted to identify as German, Irish.....etc. I clicked on the "other" box and typed in "mixed breed." They also asked if I was married. If so, what kind of marriage was it; boy-boy, girl-girl, boy-girl. What in the world does our government do with all this information?

when i'm asked on paper or in person about my heritage i always answer...I'm an American.

how many people live at our address...ok. the rest...nunya.

In my serious mode, it's funny how no one wants the gov't to know their stuff, but we (almost) all want emergency help...like in oh say a global pandemic?

On a serious note, why does the government need to know anything except how many citizens and legal residents exist in each political district, and why does that have anything to do with emergency help?

Now, I'm not opposed to the census (long and short form) but tying that to government obligations or benefits is nonsense.

The Census Bureau announced Friday it will push back many of its efforts connected to the 2020 census and dip into a $2 billion contingency fund to keep the count on track after being diverted by the coronavirus pandemic.

The census will now run through mid-August as the agency works to meet an end-of-year deadline to deliver the numbers that determine the makeup of Congress. Census Bureau deputy director Al Fontenot told reporters Friday the agency is also considering more changes to the process.

I also wonder about the questions. I get that they need to know everyone who lives here, names help. In the age of big data, they could actually compare consecutive censuses and see if there is some pattern to the difference. After that, it's just questions that various researchers are curious about. So race makes the list for every household, but educational attainment doesn't. I don't know why.

Census data are used for a lot of important functions by governments and industry. It is not a trivial, irrelevant exercise. Don't challenge me for cites - Google it yourself ;)

As for volunteers, Census has already announced that they are suspending field visits. My guess is that this year's data will be far less accurate than previous decades.

I got the letter yesterday and went to the website. Took me 5 minutes to answer the easy questions. Being in a one-person household helped speed up things.

The census is suspending door to door work.

OK, so the letter is not a "scam". Was afraid to go to the website. Thanks posters, for giving me a heads up.

Seems, some of the questions, are pretty personal.......always, thought head count, was
just that.....

There is a long and a short version of the census.
This year we got the short one:
name, age, sex, race, where live on April 1 2020, ownership/rent of house.
Pretty much all the questions as I recall.

I just did my online survey. Very quick and easy. Last time I was selected for the whole shebang with multiple in home visits. That was a PITA.

Did our census. Want to make sure we're counted. My neighbors and DW's acquaintances ask more detailed questions about us. :)

I hope Elon Musk fills his out truthfully and accurately. He is an African American (born in South Africa, legal US citizen).

In my serious mode, it's funny how no one wants the gov't to know their stuff, but we (almost) all want emergency help...like in oh say a global pandemic? ...

But what about the census questions, other than people and ages, are going to help with that?

On a lighter (or darker note) the residency question asks, On 4/1/2020 will you be living at this address and there is no "well I hope so but maybe that's optimistic?" option

I went on an extended rant about this last census. There were ads on the radio for weeks about how important this was (but they were all bad reasons), and I see all sorts of things about how providing false information is punishable with fines and jail time!

But then they ask who lives here as of April 1st. Well how can I be truthful when I can't know for certain what the answer is? Don't bug me to turn it in before April 1st. I will answer truthfully after April 1st, when I will know the answer for certain.

If they are going to be serious enough to threaten me with jail time, they should be serious with the questions. I guess it just bugs me that this is not thought through.

-ERD50

Census data are used for a lot of important functions by governments and industry. It is not a trivial, irrelevant exercise. Don't challenge me for cites - Google it yourself ;)
I did. https://2020census.gov/en/census-da...tm_content=20005&utm_term=+census +importance

The things they mention require a head count, or a head count with age.

The other questions on the short form include race, Hispanic origin, gender, marital status (of the person completing the form), home ownership, and opposite-sex vs. same-sex marriage.

It's not clear how this information is used for the items listed in the link.

I think it is great that the gov't does many surveys and uses the information from them for decisions. I'm in favor of fact based decisions.

But, those other surveys are all voluntary. The census is the only mandatory "survey". It starts by saying you are required by law to fill it out. Then, they ask questions that don't seem to be necessary for the constitutional process the census supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom