Join Early Retirement Today

Census 2020
Old 04-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Census 2020

It's April 4th and we have yet to receive any census forms or other notices. I was planning to enter our census info online, but when I went to the site, was asked to enter the 12-digit number that I "had received in the mail."

Has anyone here been able to fill out the census report?

Thanks,

Roy in New Mexico
rtroxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's a link on the screen that says "If you do not have a Census I.D, click here." Did you try clicking on that?
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I input the 12 digit number I received in the mail and did the online report.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
There's a link on the screen that says "If you do not have a Census I.D, click here." Did you try clicking on that?
Yes, but it sent me to the form, which asked me to fill in my street address. Didn't give me an ID number.

Roy
Old 04-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #5

anyone remember doing something like this in the past? I should have done at least 4 of these previously and have no memory of ever doing anything. And long term memories are supposed to be the last to go............
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtroxel View Post
Yes, but it sent me to the form, which asked me to fill in my street address. Didn't give me an ID number.

Roy
Right, you enter your street address, then on the next screen your name and phone number, then you go on to answer the questions about how many people live with you and who they are. The ID number is just a way to skip the first two screens. If you didn't get one in the mail, then the website will just make you fill those out manually.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #7

I've gotten 4 reminders in the mail in the past 2 weeks. I'm not filling it out unless I survive the pandemic!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Over a week ago.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I've gotten 4 reminders in the mail in the past 2 weeks. I'm not filling it out unless I survive the pandemic!
I got a nasty gram telling me it was mandatory, never received anything to fill out went online and completed it, then a week later the forms were delivered in the mail.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
We finally filled it out online. Fairly quick.
Were told that the Census person will visit us to gather the info if we don't fill it out.
Not related to me, but in FLA, this could be a dangerous job.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #11
gone traveling

Filled out online about 2 weeks ago. Quick and easy.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Right, you enter your street address, then on the next screen your name and phone number, then you go on to answer the questions about how many people live with you and who they are. The ID number is just a way to skip the first two screens. If you didn't get one in the mail, then the website will just make you fill those out manually.

Thanks, again! I was thinking about calling them, but I would probably be put on hold.

Roy
Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
gone traveling

Received mail notification and completed it online. Got another reminder mailing a week or so after completing the online survey.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Yup
Old 04-05-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup

Got the original mailing with the 12 digit code, and later a nag postcard.

Did it online last week. Took about 10 minutes for a household of 4.

Seems to be in everyone's best interests to just do it as it affects funding, representation, and saves money (so they don't have to pay a census taker to go out and hound you down).
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, everyone! I just finished filling out the census online. It was quicker and easier than I thought it would be.

Best regards,

Roy in New Mexico
Old 04-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My 88 year old mother does not have a computer. She got the first mailing with the number for the internet but it said she would also get a form to fill out in writing. She has never received the written form. Anyone know when the written forms will go out? Thanks
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My 88 year old mother does not have a computer. She got the first mailing with the number for the internet but it said she would also get a form to fill out in writing. She has never received the written form. Anyone know when the written forms will go out? Thanks
Why not just get the number from her and use your own computer to respond?
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Why not just get the number from her and use your own computer to respond?
I would not do that--mother is independent and wants to fill out the census on her own--she feels it is her civic duty. She said the mailing she got said she would receive a written form and wondered when it will come.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I would not do that--mother is independent and wants to fill out the census on her own--she feels it is her civic duty. She said the mailing she got said she would receive a written form and wondered when it will come.
They haven't set a date yet. https://2020census.gov/en/ways-to-re...g-by-mail.html

Quote:
Most households received their invitation to respond to the 2020 Census between March 12 – 20. These official Census Bureau mailings will include detailed information and a Census ID for completing the census online.

During this time, homes in areas that are less likely to respond online will receive a paper questionnaire (sometimes known as the census form).

All homes will receive a paper questionnaire if they do not first respond online or by phone.
Sounds like it's not going to happen until after they have figured out that she's not going to respond online, which might be a while.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #20
gone traveling

Yawn.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote