Changing the record birth year

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi all,

Last weekend, I had a conversation with a middle age vietnamese lady at the buddhist temple.  She mentioned that she's actually 2 years older than indicated on her paperwork.  This is not very uncommon in the vietnamese community.  In the constant chaos, the language barrier at refugee camps, mistakes were commonly made while doing the immigration paperwork.  Most people simply brush it aside after discovering the mistake.

But as we get older, the implication of such minor mistake amplifies.  She will have to work or wait 2 years longer before she could collect social security and medicare.

How does one go about to get this problem fixed.  Is it even possible?  She came to the US 26 years ago.

Thanks,
Sam

Interesting problem. Would she be able to get some documentation from Vietnam on her true birthdate?

My wife had her birthdate recorded incorrectly too when she was in the refugee camps. Hers is only off by 6 days, so it isn't a big deal. They switched a '1' for a '7'. Honest mistake...

I don't know how she could change it though. The only written record she has of her birthdate and place is a refugee camp medical exam report that states her DOB and place of birth (which is made up, because she was born "in the jungle" and no one really knows where exactly). The document isn't very official-looking.

Does anyone know if permanent resident aliens (green card holders) can receive SS and Medicare if they have contributed to the system for long enough? In other words, do you HAVE to be a US citizen to receive benefits?

justin said:
Does anyone know if permanent resident aliens (green card holders) can receive SS and Medicare if they have contributed to the system for long enough? In other words, do you HAVE to be a US citizen to receive benefits?

JG Justin, the answer to this and all sorts of other SS related questions is on the SS.gov website. Check the FAQ's. ;)

REWahoo! said:
JG Justin, the answer to this and all sorts of other SS related questions is on the SS.gov website. Check the FAQ's. ;)

Thanks for nothing. ;)

For others' enlightenment, the answer to my question is "yes, resident aliens and other US nationals can receive SS benefits".

It took me a while to find the answer though.

It would have been a lot easier if someone could have done my googling for me. ::)

justin said:
It would have been a lot easier if someone could have done my googling for me.   ::)

Had you waited a few hours, I would have given you the same answer.

BTW, the lady in question, as are most vietnamese, is already a naturalized US citizen.

Back
Top Bottom