Cheap, firebreathing desktop machine

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
LOL. Thanks CFB! ...a new forum I'll now *need* to spend lots of time investigating. :D

I really truly deeply do NOT need another computer.

BTW, the $350 off coupon hit its maximum usage last night, but it may be reset for another x,000 uses as of some time this morning. So if you couldnt get the deal, try again this AM.

I tried for it about 10 am and then again about 6 pm and it still says coupon reached its max usage. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short (not really) again. Thanks for the heads up!

2fer

As an alternative for someone who wanted something cheap/cheaper and dont need as much power, go to the same links, downgrade the processor to the lowest end, drop the memory to 1gb, the hard drive to 320GB, and delete the monitor. Dell really rips you off for extra memory, hard drive space and video cards.

I think that leaves you with a pretty darn good desktop to add stuff to for about $450.

If you want one of these quad core higher equipped systems, fatwallet lets you put in a standing search (I'd go with "530") and emails/im's you immediately if a thread with that in the topic shows up. Seems Dell is doing these systems every 2 weeks with similar pricing and similar specs. They did it about 2 weeks ago and about 38 days ago...

That search will also net you any good addon deals people come up with in the wake of the deals...extra ram, hard drives, etc.

Last edited:
Another decent deal. Slim desktop with core 2 duo, 1gb ram, 80gb hard drive, and a decent 20" analog widescreen monitor for $449

Dell Vostro 200 Slim Tower $449 including 20" monitor

The upgrades arent horribly expensive, and the 3 year onsite warranty is only $60 extra after a $70 gift card.

Pretty good if you need a system with a big monitor.

This one is a bit cheaper, has a lesser processor and a 19" monitor; $399
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

"complete care" is only an extra $59 for three years if you've chosen the 3 year warranty - that covers physical damage from drops, spills and surges. Gold tech support for 3 years is an extra $79 if you want US based 2nd level+ support.

Last edited:
Ill be the market for a laptop soon. Does Dell run deals on those like the desktops?

Well, I just ordered a sweet XPS laptop from dell. It's not bargain basement, but a great deal for someone who wants a world class notebook. I got the M1330 very loaded and with 4 years inhome support with accidental damage protection for about 1400.

I started with the $1399 high end configuration at

And added a bunch of options.

I registered for the MPP program at:

https://holidaycoupon.dellsavings.com/

which gave me a 10% off coupon for the m1330 by email, and the ability to save up to 12% off additionally through the MPP program.

XPS 1330 purchased tonight with LOTS of bells and whistles (Vista Ultimate, Office (Home version), LED Screen, T7500 Processor, 4 GB Memory, 4 year maintenance agreement (with the $80 Dell Card it was ONLY $10 more), and this was the big one, 64GB Solid State Drive). I think the SS drive will make the system virtually absent any moving parts except for the fan(s). Totally expensive but with all of the discounts (and I hope I got them all) I "saved" 36% of the total cost. I know I should have ordered XP but I have XP Pro disks so, if need be, I can still install it later. Should be a great travel machine.

CFB: Thanks for the information on all of the discount information.

These look like really good deals. I like a desktop PC because they are inexpensive and easy to upgrade or swap out bad components. Two items which are often overlooked in specs are the quality of the power supply and case (quiet and good cooling).

Why does anyone buy a desktop these days? You save a few hundred, but give up the portability. Gone are the days when one needs to buy a bunch of PCI cards.

BTW I completely took apart DDs ex-laptop (Dell) to resolder the power connector and clean the orange juice out of the innards. It's a pretty tense operation but if you follow the instructions it's doable. The solder on all six of the power connector's pins had been worn off, such that I could just pull it off the board.

Have to say that I'm impressed with the quality of the parts, otherwise. Everything fit together, etc.

Attachments

• FixingLaptop001.jpg
    FixingLaptop001.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 2
  • FixingLaptop02.jpg
    FixingLaptop02.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1
Why does anyone buy a desktop these days?

Because you can get a quad core and a couple of TB's of RAID in a desktop.

Makes a big difference to someone doing a lot of video format conversions or other high end computational tasks, or who have important data they want safeguarded. Or someone that wants a nice server platform to run a discussion forum, hold a database, email server, big multipurpose home server, etc.

I've got a bit of both...big roomy desktop hooked up to the 32" monitor, a mirrored raid set, plenty of computing horsepower for when I bought it, keep all our archives, photos, videos and documents on it and the printers/scanners/etc are connected to it...and a couple of laptops that autosync down copies of everything thats changed once in a while.

$500-and-something bucks for a quad core with a 500gb drive is pretty cheap for the horses and storage.

Do note that while this chipset has onboard RAID capability, for some reason the acer bios doesnt enable it, so you'd need a cheap RAID card to get that capability.

Last edited:
Two items which are often overlooked in specs are the quality of the power supply and case (quiet and good cooling).

Really, really, really good point. A lot of people go for cheap in the desktop arena and what they're getting is a cheap power supply, cheap motherboard, and a cheap inflexible case. Bad power and a bad mobo are the chief causes of all those little weird intermittent problems.

The dell PS is good, albeit smallish, but quiet.

This acer has a 300w liteon supply which is decent and quiet. You're not going to have much luck getting a super high end video card that wants 150+ watts of its own power, but the good news is that with the newer intel mobos the total system draw of one of these quad cores with a pair of big disks is still going to be a little over 100 watts with the supplied video card.

I wouldnt pay Dells overprices for extra ram or a larger hard drive, but heres a very decent basic desktop with a long warranty and the core 2 quad upgrade is well priced. No monitor included, but if you've already got one you like thats compatible, these would make for some fairly capable, in home serviced machines.

Default is a core 2 duo, 1GB ram, a 250gb hard drive, X3100 integrated graphics (which arent bad), a 3 year in-home warranty and 3 years of anti-virus. For $30 extra you get four years of warranty and they give you a $50 dell gift certificate. $368.

Upgrade it to a core 2 quad and make a few other selective upgrades and you've got another firebreathing desktop for around $500 with a long warranty.

Alright, this takes a little work but it might be worth it...

Configure how you wish until you get it over $750, then apply coupon code 3JS0XQR02J9RM0 during checkout for $200 off. You can make a nice quad core machine with a 19" screen for around $570 with this.

Or go to the same link and configure to >$999 and use CDBK4ZH2DKM80R for $300 off and you can make a nice quad core system with a 24" screen for about $720.

See this thread for some details...

Dell Home Inspiron 530 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.40GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB, DVD Burner + 19 or 24-inch LCD for $569 or $719

If the coupon wont work, wait until early morning the next day and try it again. They lock up after a certain number of uses and then reset the next day.

Nice thing with these is that they're not only cheap, they'll be a machine you'll still think is a butt kicker 3-4 years from now.

"quad core machine" - Is that just the new duo core intel processor or something new? Also, the latest is the 32 bit processors, right? I thought I saw 64 bit somewhere.

Quad cores are basically two dual core processors joined together in one cpu package. Looks like one chip, but four processors capable of splitting tasks. I believe that almost all core2 duo and core 2 quads are 64 bit. Last time I looked (over a year) there were a few bin parts in the dual core area that were cheapos that didnt have the 64 bit extensions. About all that really buys you is access to more than 4GB of main memory. There are some other goodies in there to facilitate performance and management of large system loads, but for todays desktop environment its probably not essential unless you're running a big server.

The beauty of multiple cores isnt so much in being able to do twice as much work, its in reducing logjams or blockages. While a single high speed processor can do an awful lot of work but there are many, many operations that applications software perform that require that something finishes before execution of the application can continue. While the processor is waiting on that event, nothing else happens. You'll notice this when you're clicking away or watching something and it looks like nothing is happening.

By rewriting applications to use freer threading models, its possible to eliminate some of these logjams. But thats a lot of work. Adding a second processor core means that when the first one gets stopped, the second one can continue. Massive applications like Microsoft Office use some complex threading constructions that can stop a single processor machine an awful lot.

Some applications can be very processor intensive or interrupt the processing load a lot. Those will make your computer seem very slow when working in the foreground doing your web browsing and email. Backups, video conversions, dvd burning, virus scanning and other such products can soak up an entire processor, but a second/third/fourth available allows you to run your foreground apps independent of that background load.

At this point in time, many apps are made to work on a single processor, but that doesnt stop a multi core machine from breaking up a total system load across multiple cores. Most modern OS's are running 50-200 processes at any given times with generally 2-4 being very active at any given time.

As time goes on, more applications will be threaded more freely which will allow one application to spread itself over all 2 or all 4 cores, so it'll better facilitate multithreading as well as multitasking.

Some good reading here on the various ways app threading works.

Processes, Threads, and Apartments

Honestly, at this time quad cores are a little overkill for todays home desktop apps unless you have enormous computational requirements. But 3-4 years from now they might look positively essential.

When you can get four cores that each have more horsepower than the very best cpu offered just 2-3 years ago, the futureproofing is pretty solid. At these prices you're not overpaying for the pleasure either.

Back
Top Bottom