Cheap notebooks

The dell has a 4 cell battery and the Atom processor. Figure somewhere around 2-3 hours depending on settings and what you're doing. For the units that come with a 6 cell battery and the Atom, maybe 4 hours...maybe a bit more.

I see that a bunch of folks have also hacked Mac OSX to run on the EEEPC and a few other models...

Go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and check out the Asus 900 or 901

I would wait a bit to buy either model - they just came out in the past two months or so.
If you have a Microcenter near you, you might be able to check them out.

I have the Asus eee 4G - it is almost a throw away unit. I keep files on a SD card. You get used to the screen. So check it out also.

Can't you use your desktop or larger laptop for a cd/dvd drive? Also, can't you load cd/dvd's onto thumb drives?

Go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and check out the Asus 900 or 901

I would wait a bit to buy either model - they just came out in the past two months or so.
If you have a Microcenter near you, you might be able to check them out.

I have the Asus eee 4G - it is almost a throw away unit. I keep files on a SD card. You get used to the screen. So check it out also.

Can't you use your desktop or larger laptop for a cd/dvd drive? Also, can't you load cd/dvd's onto thumb drives?

My M1330 with LED screen and 32 GB SSD can get about 4.5 hours out of the 9 cell DELL Battery. Dell recently released a power scheme that gives better mileage off of the battery (even on the brightest setting). I guess you could skip the external CD Drive but it only adds $85 to the total price.

Eee 1000h

I've had a 1000h for about a month now and I absolutely LOVE it. It is light to carry, the keyboard works fine with my big fingers, and the display is fine for web surfing, etc. even with 50 y.o. eyes. Loaded open office (prefer this to the included star office) and Firefox, and my little road warrior is good to go. I use it when I'm traveling and it's perfect for everything I need to do. May replace DW's aging desktop with one of these (w/ 160 gig HD) one day soon.

BTW, I bought it at Costco.com, and the price dropped $100.00 about 2 weeks afterword. Emailed Costco and they credited me. :D

Costco and Asus--gotta love them!

The 1000h is a good model to look at if screen and keyboard size are an issue. The keyboard on the 7 and 8.9" models is the same size and it was impossible for me to touch type on it. The 1000h not only has a bigger screen it has a bigger keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
Be careful about Acer... when I was researching laptops they seemed to have significantly higher than average quality and service issues.

But they do have some great deals.

I had an Acer. There are two glaring design faults. One is that Acer chooses too use way to many little screws that come loose. Two is that the hinge is plastic and easy to damage.

I've got two Acer laptops and am completely satisfied with them, screws, hinges, and all. One is 2-1/2 years old, and the other is 7-1/2 (!) years old (upgraded HDD and OS). I'm going to have to get rid of the older one soon before the historical society comes and makes me preserve it for posterity! :)

Wow. How many minutes of run time per cranking does it give you? ;)

I just gave my niece a 6 year old laptop and she gave it back to me a week later. "Its too slow!"... ::)

Oh, sorry, wrong thread. I thought this was "Cheap Notebook Users!" :)
Cranks? Dunno, but I've had to replace the mice and the exercise wheel three times.

Nice deal on the EEE...the 900 model with 8.9" screen, 16gb SSD and windows XP for $350...

Asus 900 mini laptop $350.44 second day shipping XP, 1GB RAM 16GM SSD

You might want to look out for the 901 it has a longer battery life.
8 hrs vs 2.5
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/901.htm

My basic Asus eee has been working fine for me with Linux.
The only thing I wish I could figure out how to do is download podcasts on it. There is a program for it but it isn't like iTunes.

Storage - you can always add a SD card which is a good place for your files. If you loose the Asus - everything is on the SD card.

I'm thinking about getting the 901 with XP just so my life would be a bit easier - add TV, Itunes - but it really isn't nessary.

The basic eee is so small and lite you don't mind carrying it.

901's a better machine, but I dont think you'd see a 3.5:1 battery life difference. Plus they're $150 more.

Yep, thats why I said RUN! They wanted to sell a certain quantity of these, and when they got it, they jacked up the price.

I didnt see any more of the asus EEE 1000h 80gb units go on deep sale, but the 160gb version is available now for the same $449 sale price the 80gb version was.

Pretty nice small portable, 10" screen, much bigger keyboard than the 7/9" models, XP and a real hard drive. Good battery life. I still find anything under 12-13" to be tough to read and work on, but for a traveler, this is a very good compromise.
ASUS Eee PC 1000H 160G 90OA0HB8C211131U111Q EEEPC1000H-BLK066X N270 1.60GHz 10" 160GB HDD 1GB PC2- at ZipZoomfly

I'd get one, but I cant think of a good explanation to prevent my wife from shooting me.

I just bought the ASUS eee 1000H - 80G version for $449 to replace my dying HP laptop. So far I love it! I did upgrade to 2 G RAM -- I found a great deal on 2 G RAM at Fry's.com ($37.99, free shipping PLUS a $25 rebate = final cost $12.99).

I'm not having any problems with the keyboard, the keys are something like 95% the size of a regular laptop keyboard; the only issue is with the right side shift key, which is outside the up arrow key...trying to capitalize, I often find myself a row up in my typing. Not a huge issue...just a bit annoying.

I wouldn't plan to write the Great American Novel on this netbook, but it sure is fun to take to the corner coffee shop to surf the net!

Thank goodness to the OLPC that we are getting all of these ultra portable netbooks for under $500. I personally like the HP 2133. It's a bit more expensive, but the construction is better. After the unceremonious destruction (death by a thousand loose screws and mystery plastic pieces) of my Acer 15.4" laptop, I'm now very conscious of build quality. It used to be that I couldn't get metal construction unless I go the Toughbook or Thinkpad route, but now with the 2133, I can get a ultra portable with a metal case. Yeah. Oh, wait, I'd have to sell my Macbook first. Maybe I'll wait.

OfficeMax - Weekly Store Ads

Wowie kazowie. 16" machine, 4gb ram, 250gb hard drive, core 2 duo, wireless N, and HDMI output so you can plug it right into your HD tv with one wire and watch content on your tv. $599 on sale from $749.

Nice screen size compromise between a 15 and 17 incher. A bit heavy though, its almost 8lbs. Great home theater laptop.

Looks like the above deal is super, but hard to come by. Its instore only and stores mostly had just a couple of them.

Not a super deal, but cheap if you need one right now...

Acer Aspire AS5720-4516 15.4" Notebook PC 15.4" Widescreen Window

Dual core, 160gb drive, 3gb ram, dvd burner, vista premium, $519. Plenty in stock. Free shipping, usually from your local officemax the next business day.

My Dell Vostro (bought in April for $499) unfortunately was cheap in another way -- died on me this morning and have to ship for repair. Pain to go back to my very slow 6 yr old Inspiron until the repair is done.

Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 900 8.9-Inch Netbook (900 MHz Intel Mobile Processor, 1 GB RAM, 20 GB Solid State Drive, Linux, 4 Cell Battery) Galaxy Black: Computers & PC Hardware

EEE with celeron, 20g SSD (two partitions), 1gb, linux, 4 cell battery, $287 AR.

Not very good battery life...maybe a couple of hours. But a good bit cheaper than the newer ones, and the celeron cpu is slightly faster than the atom.

This is cheaper than the 2GB/512MB surf model with the 7" screen was selling for not that long ago.

Its got the small keyboard (the 1000 has the larger one).

Back
Top Bottom