Cheney Shoots, Scores

Hmm...well, this thing's not entirely without historical precedent.  Sitting VP Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton clean through the liver back in 1804.  Killed him graveyard dead, and went on to serve out his term.

But speaking of livers...this speculation about Cheney being in his cups is only half-bright.  Remember that he's got a hell of a bad heart and has to take a lot of big ugly pills to keep it beating.  Some of those pills react adversely with alcohol. Note that he was traveling with his own personal doctor.

Also...there's a hell of a lot of medical speculation going on here and in the press that doesn't read like it's based on good science. It's not uncommon for doctors to leave small shrapnel particles embedded because the trauma associated with doing so is less severe than the trauma of the removal surgery. I'm still carrying a piece of scrap in my left knee from a fight I was in back in high school.

Mild heart attacks due to chest trauma aren't terribly uncommon either. Google "pericardial tamponade" for a description.

And you're getting all this medical info through the HIPAA filter.

All that said, Michael Moore is giggling like the monkey who broke into the nut factory.

Ed

Quail hunting is dangerous when you have a very inexperience hunter that does not have an awareness of the limits of his shooting lane and where the rest of the hunting party is located.

In my experience, it is most dangerous when you have an aggressive, experienced hunter who is more intent on making a good shot that maintaining an awareness of the limits of his shooting lane and where the rest of the hunting party is located.

I have been pelted many times on the wagon or jeep by aggressive experienced hunters that knew better. I have a friend that was shot in the face by an inexperienced hunter, however, I have several friends that have been shot by experienced aggressive hunters. Shooting glasses saved the eyesight of all the victims.

The 28 gauge that Cheney was using is an excellent quail gun for an experience hunter. It has a tighter pattern with more knock down power than a larger gauge, you just have to be a better shot to kill birds with it.

I love to hunt quail, and I often hunt with friends that are inexperienced. Most of them are nervous and cautious and will listen to advise and instructions. The experienced hunters often know it all and many are more concerned with demonstrating their prowess with a shotgun than their awareness of safety.

The funny thing is that most people will shoot each other but not the bird dogs. I think the reason for that is the standard penalty for shooting a bird dog is a minimum of $3,000 whether you kill the dog or just wound it. I'm thinking of making my future hunting companions sign an agreement that will at least place my value in the same range as a good hunting dog.

I've taught my son, my nephews and many of their friends to shoot by using clay pigeons. Before we shoot the clays for the first time, I have them shoot a plastic milk jug full of water to mimic the effect of what would happen if they shoot a human. I also have them shoot at a piece of tin roofing so they can see how big and dangerous a shotgun pattern can be.

Quail hunting is a great sport and wonderful way to spend a day with friends. You just have to remember those friends are armed and dangerous.

Emailed to me from a friend

President Bush announced today he was extending an olive branch to the Democrats. He invited Ted Kennedy to go hunting with Dick Cheney.

gratefuled said:
Hmm...well, this thing's not entirely without historical precedent. Sitting VP Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton clean through the liver back in 1804. Killed him graveyard dead, and went on to serve out his term.

But speaking of livers...this speculation about Cheney being in his cups is only half-bright. Remember that he's got a hell of a bad heart and has to take a lot of big ugly pills to keep it beating. Some of those pills react adversely with alcohol. Note that he was traveling with his own personal doctor.

Also...there's a hell of a lot of medical speculation going on here and in the press that doesn't read like it's based on good science. It's not uncommon for doctors to leave small shrapnel particles embedded because the trauma associated with doing so is less severe than the trauma of the removal surgery. I'm still carrying a piece of scrap in my left knee from a fight I was in back in high school.

Mild heart attacks due to chest trauma aren't terribly uncommon either. Google "pericardial tamponade" for a description.

And you're getting all this medical info through the HIPAA filter.

All that said, Michael Moore is giggling like the monkey who broke into the nut factory.

I think jon stewart summed up the aaron burr comparison with his quote further up in the thread.

Dick could have avoided the majority of the speculation and hoo-hah by simply reporting the accident promptly and making a statement. His (in)actions so far as nothing short of suspicious and leave so much room for the press to run.

Given that these guys dont change their brand of underwear without a team of 5-20 people weighing in with their opinions, you can bet a lot of people put together this 'strategy'. In short, the fallout of waiting a day and then not getting on tv and issueing a statement was determined to be less than going forward right away and telling what exactly happened. About the only two things I can think of that are worse than the speculation are that he either shot the guy intentionally or that he was drunk at the time.

If he's taking pills and has his doctor with him, maybe he should abstain from the bloody marys while he's holding a loaded gun?

My wife cracks me up. When we got up this morning she says "Lets turn on the news and see who Cheney shot today!"

Dick could have avoided the majority of the speculation and hoo-hah by simply reporting the accident promptly and making a statement.

"OK, I shot him. Hic. Now, where's the old lady with the sore tooth?"

Nothing great was ever said that didnt bear repeating...

I was wondering where the heck I saw that. I was sure one of my wiseguy buddies had emailed it to me... :(

Hospital officials said Whittington had a normal heart rhythm again and was sitting up in a chair, eating regular food and planned to do some attorney work in his hospital room. He had had no further complications and was expected to remain in the hospital for about another week.

Some people can never retire.

Maybe he is working on a personal injury suit against Cheney? :D

I've been offline for a while. Figured this incident would yield lots of
commentary. An observation........the news media and the public at large is appalling ignorant about shooting, guns, hunting, etc. The "reporting" about this has been filled with erroneous info.
I am not surprised by this. I almost have less respect for the
news reporting industry than I do for politicians in general,
and that's saying something.

JG

Martha said:
Hospital officials said Whittington had a normal heart rhythm again and was sitting up in a chair, eating regular food and planned to do some attorney work in his hospital room. He had had no further complications and was expected to remain in the hospital for about another week.
Gotta keep those billable hours up.

Can he charge a premium for working from a hospital bed? What if he's under the influence of medication? Sponge baths? Is the hospital meal a tax-deductible expense or is it entertainment?!?

The "reporting" about this has been filled with erroneous info.
I am not surprised by this.

Yeah, i saw some article, i think it was from CNN, where they said the lawyer got "sprayed with buckshot". hee.

I understand his first words after coming out of surgery were, "Who do I bill for this?"

setab

azanon said:
Yeah, i saw some article, i think it was from CNN, where they said the lawyer got "sprayed with buckshot".  hee.

I think I saw that one. They were interviewing a doctor who claimed
to have treated many gunshot wounds. He may have known
medicine, but he surely didn't know ammo. Makes you wonder.

JG

The following is a sampling of news story headlines related to Vice President Cheney's shooting accident:

Kingsville Dispatch
"Sheriff Fines Cheney $100 For Only Wounding Lawyer"

National Review Online
"Red States Poll Shows Cheney Shooting Was Justifiable" 

Dallas Morning News
"Shot Came From Grassy Knoll"

Austin Statesman
"Cheney Says Victim's Quail Call Was Best He Ever Heard"

Washington Post
"Cheney Prevents Hunting Party From Field Dressing Shooting Victim"

The Nation
"Cheney Drove Shooting Victim to Hospital Tied to The Hood of His Car"

San Antonio Express/News
"Sneaky Lawyer Tactics Don't Work On Cheney"

Houston Chronicle
"Personal Injury Lawyers Hold Candlelight Vigil Outside Cheney Victim Hospital"

Wyoming Tribune Eagle
"Cheney Friends Decline Fall Duck Hunting Invitation"

La Raza
"Cheney Shooting Victim Gets Emergency Room Priority Over Illegal Aliens"

Vegan News
"Cheney Shooting Victim Converts To Vegetarian In Hospital"

NRA American Rifleman
"Witnesses Claim Cheney Only Feathered Lawyer"

New Orleans Times Picayune
"Getting 'Dicked' Has All New Meaning"

Whittington must feel lucky to have fallen victim to part of The Gang That Couldnt Shoot Straight... ;)

And I trust he's happy that Dick hunts birds with a 28-gauge shotgun instead of a 20 or 12. I wonder how the PETA folks are dealing with this . . . dancing in the streets:confused: ;)

911 Call From Dick Cheney
Dick Cheney:
Hello, Texas Rangers, this is Dick Cheney... I just shot a lawyer!

Texas Rangers:
Sorry, Mr. Cheney, but this is the weekend. All state offices are
closed. You won't be able to collect the bounty until Monday.

Typical ... the press needs to milk this for another week or so ...

That's why they were really irritated about the reporting delay ... slowed them up ...

http://drudgereport.com/flash2ch.htm
MAIN PRESS PLANS ANOTHER WEEK OF CHENEY SHOOTING COVERAGE
Sun Feb 19 2006 10:57:36 ET

If the nation's top magazines have the pulse of the country -- get ready for another exhaustive week of exhaustive Cheney shooting coverage!

This just in... Both TIME and NEWSWEEK are planning high impact covers of Cheney for newsstands starting tomorrow, with each magazine rolling out top staff bylines and thousands of words on the hunting incident: TIME: With deep reporting by John Cloud, Mike Allen and Matthew Cooper/ Washington, Cathy Booth Thomas and Patricia Kilday Hart/ Austin, and Hilary Hylton. NEWSWEEK urgently brings in its big investigative guns: Evan Thomas, Michael Isikoff, Daniel Klaidman, Richard Wolffe, Holly Bailey, Mark Hosenball and Eleanor Clift in Washington and Carol Rust in Texas.

NEWSWEEK's Jonathan Alter essays that media budget cuts and shifting news priorities have contributed to the public being in the dark about Cheney's ways and means.

TIME headlines a poll: DICK CHENEY APPROVAL RATING 29%

NEWSWEEK editor Mark Whitaker defends his decision to push for another week of Cheney-Shooting coverage: "The reason we ultimately decided to stick with a cover is not because of the hunting incident itself-although we did turn up some new details that you might not have read elsewhere-but because of what it says about the mysterious world of the most powerful vice president of recent times."

MORE

On CNN's RELIABLE SOURCES, WASHINGTON POST reporter Dana Milbank fretted that the White House is exploiting the public's growing disdain for the mainstream media. "Of course they succeed,” Milbank said of Bush aides. “The press always looks awful. They will once again make us look awful.”

CNN's Candy Crowley added: "The perception is that we're whining."

White House correspondent Bill Plante of CBS agreed.

"The vice president and the White House have both used the constant press coverage of this story as a wedge,” he told RELIABLE SOURCES host Howard Kurtz. “It plays to the prejudices of the people who are predisposed not to like us, and it's one way to distract attention from what happened.”

Developing...

Back
Top Bottom