Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a chest freezer pre-pandemic, but I noticed that many of the more popular dehydrators on Amazon are sold out. I also had a hard time finding mason jars at pre-pandemic prices. Walmart finally had some for home delivery recently. I think a lot of people are home now and turning to cooking and preserving food, for an at home hobby, to save money or maybe both.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

pressure canners are hard to find around here. one of my dil relations ask when she visited this area and I said check around they are all over, but found I was wrong when I checked myself. freezers are one of the things people buy to hoard food. I had mine before the panedemic and would not be without one. when you get down to two people in the household it is hard to use up what you store in a freezer before it gets bad, so I don't hoard I pick up what we can use in a reasonable amount of time. if you buy a lot on sale and it goes bad in the freezer or is not preserved properly it is just wasted money.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

My A/C guy told me they are having trouble getting parts, because factories in China and the U.S. are very limited on how many people they can have on the floor. He said the huge factory in Texas that supplies a lot of their parts, only can have 70 employees at any given time. And I have heard something similar from irrigation repair and also the fellow who installed our carbon water filter - even simple repair parts, such as sprinkler heads, are starting to run short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Anyone know why nobody has chest freezers available to sell. You can find other large appliances (washing machines, dish washers, refrigerators, etc.) but no chest freezers. I check everywhere like Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, even Costco and some local independent large appliance stores. They all say they probably won't get any until the new year. I even checked with a restaurant supply store but no luck. I have been looking since February.

Befuddled!

Cheers!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Crap, now I have my fingers crossed that my 33 yr-old upright freezer will keep laboring on. My own fault for not replacing it last year when I should have, sigh:
======

Trying to buy a freezer? National appliance shortage has many on waiting lists
Daily Tribune: July 19, 2020

The effects of the COVID-19 shutdowns are now reverberating across the appliance manufacturing industry. Residents are reporting that refrigerators, freezers, washers and dryers are out of stock with a months-long wait for orders across the region. Some are finding orders made in spring being cancelled as retailers grapple with the lack of supply. Others are being told outright that it’s going to take much longer than usual to order and install appliances.

“It’s like coming to work with handcuffs on,” David Tarpley, a sales representative with Sargent Appliance in Clinton Township, said. “We had someone come in this weekend who wanted a white side-by-side fridge the same day. We laughed. If we ordered that today, it might be here by the end of August.”

Freezers especially have seen higher demand since the beginning of the pandemic as consumers look to keep stocked up on food at home to avoid frequent grocery store trips. The demand for refrigerators, washers and dryers is about the same as always.

Martin Hartunian, CEO of ABC Warehouse said the coronavirus’ affect on the supply chain is making it more difficult for retailers to keep orders filled.

“The wire harnesses, switches, electrical components and dials are things that are manufactured overseas or in Mexico, which has slowed the production process down,” Hartunian said. “GE, Whirlpool, LG and Samsung do have some assembly of appliances in the U.S., but with COVID-19, they’ve had to rework their production lines which has led to a drop in yield.”

ABC Warehouse has 44 locations across Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. Hartunian said companies like his are in a sort of sweet-spot when it comes to ordering merchandise. “A thousand pieces for a company with 5,000 stores doesn’t mean anything, they’re having a bigger problem getting that kind of quantity. Every couple of weeks I’m seeing 100 freezers come in, so I can get 30 to 100 orders filled a little quicker,” he said.

Yet Hartunian is still expecting everyone will see more shortages in the coming months. Order volume is slowly rising as people return to work. He, along with Tarpley at Sargent’s, has seen countless new customers being recommended to smaller retailers for appliances from big box stores like Lowe’s and Home Depot.

Representatives from Lowe’s did not immediately reply for comment on the issue. A communications representative from Home Depot stated that the company’s merchandising and supply chain teams are “working hard to replenish in-demand items, like some appliances, as quickly as possible.”

For Jason Lee, owner of Noble Appliance, this is a moment he’s been preparing for since March. The business stocks about 8,000 appliances across its six locations. In one of the first weeks of the COVID-19 shutdown, he sold 170 freezers and noticed quickly that more stock would be needed — and fast.

Noble purchases its merchandise on the secondary market, or business-to-business as a B-Stock supplier. “We noticed in the first two-weeks of the shutdown that there were going to be major supply chain issues. We noticed those who would normally buy at full-retail were willing to pay 25% to 30% less to get an open box product,” Lee said.

Noble has also had many more walk-in customers than usual looking for shorter wait times on orders. He said for now, he isn’t struggling with the 7,800 appliances he still has in stock.

“We had a lot of orders in the very beginning that were larger than what we’d normally place, only to find out later that everything was backed up because we were not the only ones trying to stock up,” Lee said. “Now, we’re hoping to weather the storm and survive.”
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
.... I gotta electrical doodad that will turn her into a refrigerator (lowest setting on a conventional freezer is, well, FREEZE).
DW has been bugging me to getter (the freezer/fridge) set up as canning season is coming soon and we'll need to chill down a load of cukes, sweet corn, beets, etc.

I think I'll put her on casters, that way I can wheel her (reference ambiguous) around in the shop where's convenient.
Just be aware, that since it will be cooling, but never go to freezing, you can get a lot of humidity building up, to the point of standing water and mold.

It's a common approach in the homebrew world. Search on "kegerator" "chest freezer" and "moisture" or "damp" and you'll come up with a description of the problem ad suggestions to minimize it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Lowes has garage ready chest freezers that can be ordered and delivered in October.
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:42 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by msanniee View Post
Lowes has garage ready chest freezers that can be ordered and delivered in October.
What is a “garage ready” freezer? I guess I missed something along the way. I used the infamous google, this is new to me.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Garage ready means it was designed to operate in higher ambient temperature (outside vs inside with AC).

As a dumb city folk who ate out frequently due to convenience - it is surprising that I know how to cook or even bathe myself with out rural assistance! But somehow we manage even while being talked down to! [emoji849]

Some of the grocery delivery places bring cold items in the silvery plastic bubble wrap bags. We use those to organize our freezer. Sweets (like icecream), meat (1 cooked like sausage and 1 uncooked) veggies, bread, etc. milk too as it limits store trips to get several at once.

I pre-freeze everything in our garage fridge before put in the deep freeze. The bags make dumpster diving a lot easier as you have to pull out 6-7 things vs 100 to get to the bottom of the fridge. The bags also provide a little insulation so less thaw if it takes a while and I can’t find something.

As a family of 5 (I’d guess around 575lbs of adults/kids) we go through a decent amount of food. The freezer enables us to go 1-2 weeks between grocery (mostly for veggies/things you can’t freeze).
We have had a few mishaps - online guidance isn’t always reliable about what will freeze. I made a very chunky custard (heavy wipping cream will not ‘come back together with some shaking’)

All in all, we have ordered out food 3 times in the last 4 months.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I expect there to be another uptick in demand as I know there was some articles being spread around about the rain in China and how the flooding is killing a lot of farm animals and crops which could easily add to a supply chain shortage of food globally.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote