Join Early Retirement Today

Child support ends!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Child support ends!

I reached a milestone last week, my son turned 18 and child support ended. I actually received 1 check already with no child support taken out. I have never minded paying child support, just the consequences the state would impose on me if something unforeseen happened with my finances. It sure seemed like a big number 13 years ago.
Olbidness is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does the child support recommence if your son decides to go to college?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Does the child support recommence if your son decides to go to college?
Child support ends in here in Texas at 18. period. I know other states are different. He was going to the local community College during his senior year of High School and will continue there. I've paid for his College expenses, but he landed a pretty good job and will work while in school.
Olbidness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sounds as if your son is being very responsible. I never knew anyone that suffered working and putting themselves though college at least partially. There's plenty of time in the game of life. At least future payouts will be on your own terms.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
I reached a milestone last week, my son turned 18 and child support ended. I actually received 1 check already with no child support taken out. I have never minded paying child support, just the consequences the state would impose on me if something unforeseen happened with my finances. It sure seemed like a big number 13 years ago.
Congratulations! A quantum leap toward ER !
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughters were born in Aug and Sept so we had the choice to send them or hold them back. They both went early. When they wrote the divorce decree they assumed they were graduating at 18. So when the older one graduated, the support didn't stop. I was going to use that money to pay towards college tuition. I had to take my ex to court to get her consent to changing the decree. It cost me more to get it changed than I would have paid in support.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
My daughters were born in Aug and Sept so we had the choice to send them or hold them back. They both went early. When they wrote the divorce decree they assumed they were graduating at 18. So when the older one graduated, the support didn't stop. I was going to use that money to pay towards college tuition. I had to take my ex to court to get her consent to changing the decree. It cost me more to get it changed than I would have paid in support.

I didn't realize CS ending dates varied so much. My state is 18 if they do not go to college, 22 if they attend college. Fortunately for me I have a very reasonable Ex. We just split the college bill and ended the child support at 18 and I let her keep the tax deduction.
I always thought it odd, a married couple could kick a kid out at age 18 and not pay a nickel of college, but get divorced and now you are on the hook for the bill. It did not affect me because I was going to pay anyways, but still seems like a very odd law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on your milestone.