Child support ends!

Olbidness

Recycles dryer sheets
I reached a milestone last week, my son turned 18 and child support ended. I actually received 1 check already with no child support taken out. I have never minded paying child support, just the consequences the state would impose on me if something unforeseen happened with my finances. It sure seemed like a big number 13 years ago.

Does the child support recommence if your son decides to go to college?

Does the child support recommence if your son decides to go to college?
Child support ends in here in Texas at 18. period. I know other states are different. He was going to the local community College during his senior year of High School and will continue there. I've paid for his College expenses, but he landed a pretty good job and will work while in school.

Sounds as if your son is being very responsible. I never knew anyone that suffered working and putting themselves though college at least partially. There's plenty of time in the game of life. At least future payouts will be on your own terms.

I reached a milestone last week, my son turned 18 and child support ended. I actually received 1 check already with no child support taken out. I have never minded paying child support, just the consequences the state would impose on me if something unforeseen happened with my finances. It sure seemed like a big number 13 years ago.

Congratulations! :) A quantum leap toward ER !

My daughters were born in Aug and Sept so we had the choice to send them or hold them back. They both went early. When they wrote the divorce decree they assumed they were graduating at 18. So when the older one graduated, the support didn't stop. I was going to use that money to pay towards college tuition. I had to take my ex to court to get her consent to changing the decree. It cost me more to get it changed than I would have paid in support.

My daughters were born in Aug and Sept so we had the choice to send them or hold them back. They both went early. When they wrote the divorce decree they assumed they were graduating at 18. So when the older one graduated, the support didn't stop. I was going to use that money to pay towards college tuition. I had to take my ex to court to get her consent to changing the decree. It cost me more to get it changed than I would have paid in support.

I didn't realize CS ending dates varied so much. My state is 18 if they do not go to college, 22 if they attend college. Fortunately for me I have a very reasonable Ex. We just split the college bill and ended the child support at 18 and I let her keep the tax deduction.
I always thought it odd, a married couple could kick a kid out at age 18 and not pay a nickel of college, but get divorced and now you are on the hook for the bill. It did not affect me because I was going to pay anyways, but still seems like a very odd law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on your milestone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom