Childless & getting older - adopt an 'adult child'

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
To me, that article seems bizarre, and this concept could possibly could be a fertile ground for golddiggers (?). Or not.

Oh well. Each to his/her own...

To me, that article seems bizarre, and this concept could possibly could be a fertile ground for golddiggers (?). Or not.

Oh well. Each to his/her own...
Only in America. And IMO, it's good that this kind of lunacy is confined to our shores. (I hope)

Ha

I think Doris Duke did this. And then disinherited her and left everything to the butler. The daughter disputed being cut from the will in court and was awarded a large number of millions. Or maybe the butler settled with her before the court actually ruled (can't remember) but she was definitely awarded many impressive millions.

I'm glad it's working for them. Like REWahoo! says, it could help problems with estate planning and guardianship/conservatorship.

I never knew it was possible to adopt someone after they were 18-21, but apparently it is legal in some states and, according to this, is on the increase.

I know that it was legal in Arkensas as one of the more bizarre happenings in our life took place because of adult adoption.

Some good friends of ours moved from Baton Rouge to Little Rock and we kept in contact, visiting them and going to their DD's wedding there, and their other DD's wedding in Baton Rouge etc.

One time when they stayed with us they brought a young woman that they had adopted. She was certainly "mentally challenged", was very overweight, and "hard" on the eyes. I forget the details of why they adopted her - she wasn't an immigrant or anything needing citizenship.

Our friends were very religuous and he was always prominent in the church, and we assumed this was all part of their charitable nature.

Within 12 months he had run off with their adopted daughter and they divorced shortly after.

Adopting adults was not unusual in some german farmers families when there was no son to hand over the farm to. But usually an uncle would adopt a nephew from a family of many kids.
My father in law (8th kid in his birth family) was adopted by a not so closely related couple to continue the farm and thus also to provide a retirement for the couple.
But I also know some cases of adopting not related persons.
Some worked well, some not. It all depends on having the same expectations, I guess.
It would save estate tax. But if that's the only reason...

I know that it was legal in Arkensas as one of the more bizarre happenings in our life took place because of adult adoption.

Within 12 months he had run off with their adopted daughter and they divorced shortly after.

Sorry, but had to point out you misspelled the name of that state. The proper spelling is W-e-s-t V-i-r-g-i-n-i-a. :)

Sorry, but had to point out you misspelled the name of that state. The proper spelling is W-e-s-t V-i-r-g-i-n-i-a. :)

Thanks - if you think I mangled the spelling of Arkansas, you should hear me pronounce it :)

Only in America. And IMO, it's good that this kind of lunacy is confined to our shores. (I hope)

Ha

Julius Caesar adopted Octavian when the latter was in his 20's. Octavian eventually became Augustus Caesar. So adult adoption has been known to occur outside our shores.

Thanks - if you think I mangled the spelling of Arkansas, you should hear me pronounce it :)

OFFTOPIC: As a Canadian, I've often wondered about this apparent pronunciation paradox. How come Kansas is "KAN-ziss", but if you stick an "Ar" prefix in front if it, it becomes "AR-kin-saw"? Why isn't it "AR-kan-ziss?"

And how come Kansas City isn't in Kansas? Why's it in Missouri? Why isn't it Missouri City?

OFFTOPIC: As a Canadian, I've often wondered about this apparent pronunciation paradox. How come Kansas is "KAN-ziss", but if you stick an "Ar" prefix in front if it, it becomes "AR-kin-saw"? Why isn't it "AR-kan-ziss?"

And how come Kansas City isn't in Kansas? Why's it in Missouri? Why isn't it Missouri City?

Can't help with the pronunciations, but I believe there is both a Kansas City, Kansas and a Kansas City, Missouri, although the Missouri side is much nicer.

Believe me, U.S. residents wonder about these things too. :2funny:

The Wikipedia entry on Arkansas explains this paradox. At one time there was a dispute about the pronunciation - apparently both the pronunciations you gave were in use. The state legislature declared "AR-kin-saw" to be the correct pronunciation to resolve the issue.

For the same reason the Arkansas River is pronounced 'Are-KAN-ziss River' when it flows trough Kansas and pronounced 'AR-kin-saw River' when it flows through Arkansas. Weird, eh? :)

It's not much different in England. Recently we had a few nights in Chollerford, Northumberland and the next town, a short walk away is called Humshaugh. We had a few guesses at pronunciation before we asked at the pub. (Hums-hoff).

Also in Northumberland you have Alnwick and Alnmouth, very close to one another. They are pronounced Ann-ick and Alan-mouth.

I could go on forever but am conscious that my misspelling of Arkansas has now hi-jacked this thread on adoption :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom