Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Children's International Summer Village
Old 02-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bulldog

Hey Mike...its common for new people to declare themselves in "Hi I am..." or at least have some sort of introductory post where they swear off their long term lurking or some such. When someone just fires off a first post, replete with a finishing paragraph that may be interpreted humorously or not, given that 90% of the time people get your meaning wrong...I guess some scathing could be expected. Especially when the facilities to put a smile or wink on the end of a bit of sarcasm exists.

Granted, You do have a point here. Yes I am new to this board.

I know those little gizmoes above the block I am typing in are handy but I tend not to use them too often. If, for instance, I am sarcastic or indulge in poetic license, I expect most, even those with mediocre intelligence, to be able to get my drift.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whoo mike, good one, it is called British Humour, it may be over the heads for those weaned on Jim Carrey and Chris(the Racist) Rock?.

Acquaintances tell you what you want to hear, Friends tell you what you need to hear, my problem is some times I am just too damn friendly.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-1

I know those little gizmoes above the block I am typing in are handy but I tend not to use them too often. If, for instance, I am sarcastic or indulge in poetic license, I expect most, even those with mediocre intelligence, to be able to get my drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
Whoo mike, good one, it is called British Humour, it may be over the heads for those weaned on Jim Carrey and Chris(the Racist) Rock?.

Acquaintances tell you what you want to hear, Friends tell you what you need to hear, my problem is some times I am just too damn friendly.
I like Canada. I visit Ontario a lot. One of my DH's best friends is the skip for a curling team. I agree with much of Canada's politics. I am not rah rah nationalist. But this sort of humor is right up their with a husband smashing cake into his wife's face on their wedding day.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

But this sort of humor is right up their with a husband smashing cake into his wife's face on their wedding day.
I fail to see the connection.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

I like Canada. I visit Ontario a lot. One of my DH's best friends is the skip for a curling team. I agree with much of Canada's politics. I am not rah rah nationalist. But this sort of humor is right up their with a husband smashing cake into his wife's face on their wedding day.
I like canada too. My dads parents are from there.

However, I'm a little tired already of the 'bad usa, good canada' crap. Canada has enjoyed a hundred years of laying in the military shadow of the united states. Having little to fear of being invaded, and little money needing to be spent on defense, they've shown good management in employing their tax dollars to better social programs.

Had we the same advantage if say, canada had the most dominant military the world has so far seen, and we were able to employ most of our tax dollars to schools, healthcare and infrastructure...we'd no doubt have some sort of superior air about us and be logging in to some canadian early retirement web site to shoot their pots...

Mikey...see my post regarding the study results that show that 90% of written online communications is not well understood and usually taken the wrong way.

...and thats all I have to say about that...!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:40 PM   #46

Quote:

Mikey...see my post regarding the study results that show that 90% of written online communications is not well understood and usually taken the wrong way.

From Maximillion written in a scathing, irreverent, sarcastic tone:

‘the theory is if kids get to know Foreigners when they are young, they are less likely to shoot them when they get older.’

And from the website he provided:

‘offers children and adults the opportunity to make new friendships worldwide and understand and appreciate different cultures. … the philosophy of … can be summarized as a commitment to know countries through close friends rather than as abstract places on a map and to accept others without prejudice or stereotypes.'

Now tell me how can anyone fail to see the humour? True, some here might not like it said in that direct and brutal a fashion but, I for one, find it hilarious, outrageous, and thought-provoking. I would not take offence. Or take it too too seriously for that matter,
Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Uh, what part of "thats all I have to say about that" didnt you understand?

Maxy would have garnered more points if he acknowledged that he was kidding. He insisted that he was not.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #48

Quote:

Maxy would have garnered more points if he acknowledged that he was kidding. He insisted that he was not.
OK, Max, time to set the record straight.

Was you or wasn't you?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

It seems blatantly obvious that mike-1 and max are the same person. All this self stroking needs some aloe lotion and some kleenex, max/mike!

It reminds me of the Colbert show (pronounced Colbere for those not raised in Quebec), where he debates himself. But at least he disagrees with himself for the entertainment of the audience. I think only one person is amused here.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:05 AM   #50

laurence, we are absolutly not the same person.

I would suggest you get your facts straight, in actual fact,the moderator of this board can attest to that fact.(differant ISP's)

the response to my pst was inane.compounded by CFB's response.

Clear this post, it is obviously above the IQ of certain people??
SARCASM.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
It seems blatantly obvious that mike-1 and max are the same person. All this self stroking needs some aloe lotion and some kleenex, max/mike!

Lawrence .. check it out with the moderator. Then it will become blatantly obvious how ignorant your assertion is. Once the facts are established, I would expect a retraction right here on this thread.

Get to it!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #52

Mike lives in Montreal, Max(Howard) lives in Thornbury ON.

End of discussion!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Mike lives in Montreal, Max(Howard) lives in Thornbury ON.

End of discussion!
Thanks Zipper for bringing a little sanity to this board.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

That settles it then. You're two DIFFERENT assholes.

Case closed.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #55

Quote:
That settles it then. You're two DIFFERENT assholes.
Bravo, at least you got that bit right. :P

Old 02-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

"Hey moderator, are these the same people?"

"Doesn't look like it, unless he's using a redirect/proxy."

Your astute observation to my caption astounds me. Making it look like you are in two different places/are two different people is not hard, but we will allow for reasonable doubt. Therefore, I stand corrected, one of you spells better than the other, I was hopeful we had only attracted one new troll.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Its not hard at all. You type in any one of thousands of proxy sites, like www.proxify.com, type 'early-retirement.org/forums' in and go. Voila, you're from somewhere else.

Its the same jerk, or two of them working together. This is not the first time we've seen TWO idiots trolling in tandem.

It IS possible to get lists of anonymous proxy IP addresses and block those en masse. They're always out of date and new ones pop up every day though, so its probably more trouble than its worth.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Odds are they'll get bored before long. For all the talk of brainpower they told a moderator to talk to a moderator.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Well did you?

I'm bored already.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll.jpg (22.8 KB, 32 views)