China 'is more popular' than US

Laurence said:
Nice, I had to wipe the sarcasm off the screen. I truly hope no one ****s on you or your family for being who they are. It's a really ****ty feeling.

I hope you get a sense of humor someday.

Psssst! - PTR (Petro China Co. LTD) - is Warren Buffett holding, folding, or knowing when to walk away like the song.

Now - there's the opinion of 'one public' I might be interested in.

That - and perhaps a good buy on kayaks.

Heh, heh, heh.

Are we having fun yet? I forget the page count record on the old forum - on that not to be mentioned subject.

Art said:
If you don't have the common sense to know which version of Abu Graib is worse (U.S. or Saddam's) by ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE

You see Art, ours is worse. Because we 'went there' to stop this sort of behavior. That what we're doing isnt as bad as what we went there to stop isnt really the point.

This is like calling the cops because you've discovered your neighbor is a serial killer, and after they get there and arrest him, they kick your door down and slap you around a little. Hey, its better than getting killed, right?

Along with that, you missed my main point. I havent said Chinas a great place to live or that its worse or better than any other country. I was just pointing out that as with most of your opinions, you dont really have any basis to really form a strong opinion.

I form my opinions based on as much unbiased information I can get. When I originally asked where you get your information, had you let on about your fiancee that would have given your opinion pretty good street cred. Unfortunately, the 'free press' and 'everyone with a brain knows' sources arent very good at all. That you suddenly pop up with a fiancee with first hand experience still seems a little unlikely to me.

So yeah, I do think you're full of crap.

By the way, my former company was just setting up a billion dollars or so worth of business in China a year or so before I left. We paid millions for in-country 'scouting reports' to give senior management a good idea of what we were getting into. Culture, government constraints, available workforce and their mindsets, right down to how people would feel living next to one of our factories. I read them all. Pretty unbiased stuff, quite detailed. Not a great place to live by american standards, but then I doubt most chinese care about what we do or dont value.

Whakamole...I just read all of your posts. It didnt take long. I didnt see one word worth picking up dog crap with. So perhaps you might want to find a new line of complaint. I think there are at least a handful of people here who have found what I've contributed to this place to be most helpful. All I've seen from you lately is cheap shots from the cheap seats. Shaddup.

Notth said:
Whakamole...I just read all of your posts. It didnt take long. I didnt see one word worth picking up dog crap with. So perhaps you might want to find a new line of complaint. I think there are at least a handful of people here who have found what I've contributed to this place to be most helpful. All I've seen from you lately is cheap shots from the cheap seats. Shaddup.

Th, I may not agree with you, but I also haven't told you to shut up because I disagree with you.

If you want to control who posts, you should try getting your own message board. Otherwise, you'll have to learn to live with people.

Oh come on whakamole...get a sense of humor!

If you're going to throw stones, prepare to have a few tossed back in your direction.

Notth said:
Oh come on whakamole...get a sense of humor!

If you're going to throw stones, prepare to have a few tossed back in your direction.

Well, hell, you're right.

Tell ya what, I'll go ahead and read all your posts. I figure that by the time I'm done - I'll be ER'ed! :D

Honkie,
Take your political trolling to the Democratic Underground site where you can preach to an audience that wallows in self pity and hate for America. This site has been relatively free of the political animous within this thread you started. This site is about FIRE not politics. Get a life. Take this crap elsewhere.

Whakamole,
Don't bother to feed this troll. If he is ignored perhaps he will leave.

Personally, I love this thread. At first I didn't read it; I thought does this concern either of my 2 interests- money and fun? It seemed not, so I passed. But last night I was bored (not having fun) so I had a look.

Suddenly I was having fun again. Watching you guys flingin' mud on one another isn't ectasy, but neither is it chopped liver.

So keep it up!

haha

Whakamole said:
Th, I may not agree with you, but I also haven't told you to shut up because I disagree with you.

If you want to control who posts, you should try getting your own message board.  Otherwise, you'll have to learn to live with people.

Hey! Cut Th some slack. My hunch is that he is a substance abuser or
seriously deranged. In either case, he needs help. I call on all forum
participants to offer our support and advice. This is an important
"help your fellow man" activity. I have signed on Bono and Alan Alda.
Oprah is a "maybe". :)

JG

HaHa said:
Personally, I love this thread. At first I didn't read it; I thought does this concern either of my 2 interests- money and fun? It seemed not, so I passed. But last night I was bored (not having fun) so I had a look.

Suddenly I was having fun again. Watching you guys flingin' mud on one another isn't ectasy, but neither is it chopped liver.

Beats hell out of painting, doesn't it. ;)

Damn thread appears to be almost dead, but just noticed JG appeared in the nick of time, and fired a few vollys at TH, so we may be able to squeeze a little more out of this one.

So keep it up!

haha

Ol_Rancher said:
Honkie,
              Take your political trolling to the Democratic Underground site where you can preach to an audience that wallows in self pity and hate for America. This site has been relatively free of the political animous within this thread you started. This site is about FIRE not politics. Get a life. Take this crap elsewhere.

Whakamole,
                     Don't bother to feed this troll. If he is ignored perhaps he will leave.

Thanks for the welcome, Ol_Rancher.
Clearly, 8 pages of discussion counters your view that this is crap which doesn't belong here. As it is not FI/RE related I posted in the OTHER TOPICS section.

If it is not to your taste, don't read or contribute. Actually, I thought some slightly more erudite debate would ensue regarding the current world political situation, how the US views the world and vice versa, how current tensions / problems could be resolved etc etc - you know, good old fashioned intelligent and reasoned debate amongst adults. As far as I can see, the only "political animous" has been from Art, Whakamole and lately you. Notth got himself a bit worked up aswell.

Notth said:
When I originally asked where you get your information [about China], had you let on about your fiancee that would have given your opinion pretty good street cred.  Unfortunately, the 'free press'...  sources arent very good at all. 

FORMAL APOLOGY TO TH, NOTTH, AND THE BOARD:

I was wrong about th and notth.

He is most likely, as JG pointed out, and th's and notth's quote above affirms, either a substance abuser or seriously deranged. And I feel somewhat guilty for speaking so harshly about the mentally handicapped. Sorry, dude. I had no idea.

And in the spirit of compassion that JG has requested of all of us, I have one word for you, th and notth:

Aricept.

It won't cure your Alzheimers disease, but it may slow it's progression.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Honkie said:
you deny freedom to those who dissent from your view.

Yo, Buckwheat!

Still waiting for you to explain how I deny freedom to those who dissent from my view!

Honkie said:
If it is not to your taste, don't read or contribute. Actually, I thought some slightly more erudite debate would ensue regarding the current world political situation, how the US views the world and vice versa, how current tensions / problems could be resolved etc etc - you know, good old fashioned intelligent and reasoned debate amongst adults.

I don't buy this.

Anyone who starts a politically charged thread has to expect a resultant flamewar.

Art said:
Yo, Buckwheat!

Still waiting for you to explain how I deny freedom to those who dissent from my view!

Art....hold your breath, reply on the way.

Whakamole said:
I don't buy this.

Anyone who starts a politically charged thread has to expect a resultant flamewar.

I disagree. I don't think the original article was "politically charged". It is a serious reflection of current world views with ramifications and repurcussions for the economy, world security etc.etc. The only "charged" elements were the initial responses by you and Art who set the tone and direction of the thread away from sensible discussion to personal attacks and vitriol.

As jarhead said, "It beats painting".

ha

Honkie said:
I disagree. I don't think the original article was "politically charged". It is a serious reflection of current world views with ramifications and repurcussions for the economy, world security etc.etc. The only "charged" elements were the initial responses by you and Art who set the tone and direction of the thread away from sensible discussion to personal attacks and vitriol.

Of course it was politically charged. "Hey, Europeans like China more than they do the US!" Talk about lobbing a grenade into a room.

That you are picking on Art and myself when notth certainly played a part indicates to me that you're upset at those who aren't taking your position. Too bad.

Whakamole said:
Of course it was politically charged.  "Hey, Europeans like China more than they do the US!"  Talk about lobbing a grenade into a room.

That you are picking on Art and myself when notth certainly played a part indicates to me that you're upset at those who aren't taking your position.  Too bad.

I am not upset in the least by the views that you take. Simply saddened that your responses to alternate views were littered with "retard" insults. And I do think notth lost the plot aswell, he was simply less insulting and vitriolic than you. As I said previously, a good exchange of views on the topic of the original article would, I think, have been interesting and perhaps enlightening.

Honkie said:
Simply saddened that your responses to alternate views were littered with "retard" insults.

The "moral retard" term was mine, to be fair. And when someone comes up with a better explanation for ANYONE to give higher favorability ratings to China than the US, I'll reconsider my use of that term.

Honkie said:
I am not upset in the least by the views that you take. Simply saddened that your responses to alternate views were littered with "retard" insults. And I do think notth lost the plot aswell, he was simply less insulting and vitriolic than you. As I said previously, a good exchange of views on the topic of the original article would, I think, have been interesting and perhaps enlightening.

If you expected that, then either you are a newbie to internet message boards or a troll.

Art said:
The "moral retard" term was mine, to be fair. And when someone comes up with a better explanation for ANYONE to give higher favorability ratings to China than the US, I'll reconsider my use of that term.

Ok, here is one explanation. To a third party, China is more tolerent of countries with differing cultures, religions, political systems and ways of life than the current US Government is (and many previous ones for that matter)

NB: I did NOT say that this tolerence necessarily extended at all times to it's own people.

Honkie said:
To a third party, China is more tolerent of countries with differing cultures, religions, political systems and ways of life than the current US Government is (and many previous ones for that matter)

I see. Kinda like how Nazi Germany was more tolerant of Fascist Italy and Imperial Japan than the mean, old US was? Is that it, Honkie?

Honkie said:
I did NOT say that this tolerence [China's tolerance] necessarily extended at all times to it's own people.

I must ask you again, in all seriousness, so as to avoid being overly harsh with you, as I was with th and notth:

Are you insane?

Are you stark raving mad?

China's "tolerance" doesn't necessarily extend at all times to its own people?

You mean, like to the thirty million Chinese (give or take a few million) that it killed during the Cultural Revolution?

You mean, like to the 1.3 billion Chinese kept in check today by government violence?

Buckwheat, you're all that and a bag of chips.

Honkie said:
Ok, here is one explanation. To a third party, China is more tolerent of countries with differing cultures, religions, political systems and ways of life than the current US Government is (and many previous ones for that matter)

NB: I did NOT say that this tolerence necessarily extended at all times to it's own people.

Read your own question: "Why would anyone give a higher favourability rating to China than US?

I gave you my answer and I stand by it. Your replies are verbiage and have nothing to do with the question asked, nor the answer given.

A THIRD PARTY nation (and it's nationals) feel they have less to fear from China than from the US. This is what the original article implicitly states. Nations and peoples are less afraid of China than they are of the US. And we are not talking about repressive regimes or dictatorships, we are talking about reasonably developed democratic nations with and educated populace. Indeed, if one is a repressive dictatorial regime, one would probably be more secure in the US's support (e.g. Saudi Arabia)

Well, then, could someone please explain exactly what it is that the Europeans fear? Are we causing a mass exodus of refugees from Africa/ME? Are we about to invade? Maybe some American terrorists will bomb a major Euro city?

Balderdash..... ;)

I rarely don't always agree with US foreign policy, but sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom