China Will Buy America

Michael said:
China Will Buy America
We're selling it to them. As the Japanese have learned to their regret, there's a difference.

China's purchase of America has been delayed. The Chinese national oil company, CNOOC, pulled its bid for Unocal as of today

Ha.

If the article is right, the US stock market is doomed when the boomers retire, if China does not buy it. The Senate seems to want China to buy index funds, and China want to buy controlling interest in selected companies. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Michael said:
If the article is right, the US stock market is doomed when the boomers retire, if China does not buy it.  The Senate seems to want China to buy index funds, and China want to buy controlling interest in selected companies.  It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

No major nation is as consistently stupid as the US in the way it conducts its statecraft. It will be a cold day in hell when the Chinese will spend their money on index funds. They are strategic buyers, and although they let this one go, I will be interested to see what they do over the longer term.

Ha

Seems like our political figures are scared of China. I mean really don't you all think the Unocal bid was pricey for a fourth rate oil company? Ironically nobody gave a darn about China's interest in Maytag. Hmmmm whatever you don't touch our oil!

REWahoo! said:
Are you saying we don't care about the Chinese doing our laundry? :D :D :D :D

REW

Let's see: They provide the machines and make a profit on them from us, and we provide the labor for nothing.

Not quite the good deal that it appears.

--Greg

wildcat said:
Seems like our political figures are scared of China.
I think the only thing they're scared of is finding enough donations for their re-election campaigns. Seems like China could solve a lot of their problems now that Al Gore's out of the "running"!

China has shown its willingness to go to war over border issues.  They fought several small border wars with the Soviet Union, and fought a moderate sized war with the United States over Korea.  China is a rising military power, that has fought a number of small wars with its neighbors, and even with the "super powers".  They want Taiwan, and when they are strong enough, they may choose to force the issue.  Unless it has already been peacefully resolved before then.

If a shooting war again erupts, Chinese control of strategically significant assets could be a problem.  The Congress would be aware of these issues, but as you pointed out, they would also prioritize placating voters over issues such as jobs in their district.

Let's see: They provide the machines and make a profit on them from us, and we provide the labor for nothing.

Not quite the good deal that it appears.

Still a good deal to me. Maytag barely turns a profit and why not sell an overpriced company to a country full of people who believe they can turn it around.

China will buy America?

So what? Where are they going to take it?

Yrs...

Ed

Maybe we should buy china stocks. Buy them, and that way, when they buy us, we already own them. We'll own ourselves! I think...

If the article is correct, just keep holding US stocks. They will keep going up when China buys them. If China doesn't buy them, they will crash when the baby boom retires.

Of course, he is just guessing, like everyone else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom