Join Early Retirement Today

Christmas Card W/Postage Due
Old 12-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Christmas Card W/Postage Due

Have a niece and nephew-in-law who spend a bundle every year on custom made Christmas cards. They hire a photographer to capture images of them and their three children and have cards printed. Guess they can afford it. This year's card is a tri-fold on heavy paper with a photo of the three kids on the front; when the tri-fold is completely opened, each kid has his/her own page. There is an extra of the new one born in November, and yet another photo of all five on the back. It is very nicely done.

Does seem a little heavy and thick, though. It arrived with a first class Forever stamp, and the Postage Due _____ c stamped in red. The place where the due amount is supposed to be written in is still blank; I guess some postal worker was in the holiday spirit. Never had this happen before.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
... and the Postage Due _____ c stamped in red. The place where the due amount is supposed to be written in is still blank; I guess some postal worker was in the holiday spirit.
I think the USPS is rightfully gunshy of the negative publicity that would ensue from enforcing the postage rules on Christmas cards.

But it'll make a great story to share with your niece! In a snail-mail letter with a postage-due stamp, of course...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #3

We got an unsealed Christmas envelope with no card and no stamp delivered by the USPS. Somebody was hitting the eggnog.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We took our cards to the PO because some of them were fairly thick. The clerk dropped them through a template and those that got stuck required significantly more postage. I could see how it would be easy to get mixed up on this and not get enough postage. It was kind of a fine line what would fit and what wouldn't. Also, I think the lady "helped" a little by pushing on several of them. Since she put the meter postage on them, I assumed they would all go OK. Nothing came back.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
We got an unsealed Christmas envelope with no card and no stamp delivered by the USPS. Somebody was hitting the eggnog.
Uh, Ron, that might've been from us. Anyway, Merry Christmas.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We sent presents to both grandkids...same things (not Christmas). Took them to the post office and paid the required postage. One g-kid got the package right away. Two weeks later the other g-kid got at postage due notice from the post office...when you pick up the package at the post office, pay the postage due. Seems that her post office charged for irregular size packages. Each package was about the size of a toy football and the packages were sent to addresses within 50 miles of each other. Go figure!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Postage Due _____ c stamped in red.
I didn't know that they still did this. Seems that I heard/read/imagined that, due to USPS changes, if your postage was not enough, that they would return it to you. We so seldom mail stuff that the rules on this are now very vague.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
We sent presents to both grandkids...same things (not Christmas). Took them to the post office and paid the required postage. One g-kid got the package right away. Two weeks later the other g-kid got at postage due notice from the post office...when you pick up the package at the post office, pay the postage due. Seems that her post office charged for irregular size packages. Each package was about the size of a toy football and the packages were sent to addresses within 50 miles of each other. Go figure!
I would think the PO worker who rejected the pkg. would notice that their "brother" PO worker had handled the actual postage - you paid, but they weighed (and measured). I'm guessing you could complain and be compensated (obviously not worth the effort) but the point is that it's not like you slapped a stamp on an oversized letter and then dropped it in a mail slot. You took the bother to hand carry it to the PO and trusted them to put the right postage on it (at your cost.) No wonder our postage rates continue to rise out of control.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote