Christmas day menu

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Merry Christmas everyone. What are yall planning for Christmas lunch or dinner tomorrow?
This year since our 2 son's may not be here at the same time we're doing sandwiches rather than a sit down gumbo dinner.
DW picked up a boneless Honeybaked ham, I just finished putting together a roast that'll cook all day for debris. We'll have that on pistolettes (small 4-5" French breads). Fruit tray, rotel/velveeta dip and a couple other simple things.

Forgot breakfast, my mom always fried bread dough so we'll do that. Kinda like Navajo fry bread.

Last edited:
This years dinner will be rescheduled, we missed it yesterday due to the ice storm.
It is all in the freezer for later:
Turkey breast
Beef Tenderloin
Brussel sprout/gouda gratin
Mac and Cheese
Mashed Potatoes
Sage sausage Stuffing
Turkey Gravy
Fruit Salad (will be remade fresh :) )
Rolls
Yule Log
Cookies

Ham
Green bean casserole
Roasted veggies-broccoli, red pepper, mushrooms
Homemade mac n cheese
Sister shubert rolls
Wine, coffee, tea
Apple pie
Xmas cookies

I usually host christmas eve with an informal munchie filled event. Due to other family schedules, I'm doing it on christmas day, but not changing the menu.

Charcuterie with prosciutto and honeycomb
Homemade cheese & bacon potato skins
mozzarella sticks
Chick fil A nuggets
bacon wrapped sausage rolls
mini quiche

Followed up with mince pies and proper british christmas pudding which no one eats

We're going over to DW's niece's house along with most of the family. It'll be crowded but fun. There will be lots and lots of food, I forget what all everyone is bringing but if anyone goes hungry it's their own dang fault.

That is frequently an issue with DW - she gets to talking and playing with the kids and visiting and everything - and doesn't eat. Then on the way home complains that she's hungry.:facepalm: I have no sympathy.:)

Too cold to smoke something here, so it looks like we’re going to have homemade Thai food instead.

ETA: Oh I forgot that I’m making deviled eggs and jalapeño poppers tomorrow. And we have a bottle of cava chilling.

Last edited:
I'm not sure because I don't make the menu or cook the food. The only thing I'm sure of is that there will be ham and sweet potatoes. Because sweet potatoes are not sweet enough, they blast them with brown sugar and marshmallows. With that, I'm good!

Western scrambled eggs/home fries for breakfast, transitioning to cracker/cheese/shrimp cocktail with wine for midday and then pot roast with veggies/onion salad and homemade apple pie/whipped cream for supper.

Baby Back ribs, slow cooked in the oven. ( -45 winchill isn't grilling weather.)
Loaded mashed potatoes from the garden
Buttered cream sweetcorn with green pepper & onions. All from the garden
Glazed carrots from the garden
Cornbread. Homemade with whipped Honey Butter from the neighbor's bee hives.
Home made pumpkin pie from the garden

The only thing we didn't raise was the pig.

Reminds me of the old Hee Haw episodes when they holler at Grandpa Jones "Hey Grandpa, Whats for supper ? and he'd respond with a poem.

Due to scheduling issues with in-laws and their families, we celebrated Christmas early. Just going to be me and the [-]ol lady[/-] DW on Christmas.

Air Fryer chicken wings and watch football.

Merry Christmas all.

Prime Rib, mashed potatoes, cranberries, sauted green beans, biscuits, plus chocolate peppermint cookies with vanilla ice cream.

All cooked by my DD and SIL, so even nicer!

Half our group of 12 is vegetarian. So for Christmas Day, we have two giant pots of chili (one with meat, one without), along with salad, cornbread, and lots of extra fixings (cheese, fritos, avocados, jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream, etc).

We'll also finish off the leftovers from Christmas Eve, which include: deviled eggs, scotch eggs and sausage rolls (half made w/ impossible sausage), veggie tray, fruit tray, cheese/meat tray, pickle/olive tray, spinach/artichoke dip, lots of bread/chips, plus at least 3 pies at last count.

Pork tamales, chicken enchiladas, beans, rice, chips and guacamole catered by an excellent Mexican restaurant. Pick everything up today, set up a buffet tomorrow afternoon, and invite all of the relatives to drop by whenever.

With most of our family up North and our penchant for no cooking, it will be Chinese food.

Today
Late Breakfast: Eggs Benedict & Mimosas

Dinner: Tuna/Avocado app and Sushi entrees

Christmas Day
Breakfast: Quiche Lorraine & Coffee when we get up, emptying Christmas stockings (we both have the ones we were given as small children well over 60 years ago).

Midday: An elaborate cheese plate - Chèvre Log w Fig&Honey, Midnight Moon (similar to aged goat milk gouda), Comté & Mimolette w assorted artisan crackers, fruit, nuts.

Dinner: Simple turkey breast, scalloped potatoes, green beans with King's Hawaiian rolls and a nice champagne. Panettone for dessert, and finishing champagne.

Just what we felt like this year...we're fortunate.

Last edited:
Basically a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner with the addition of Christmas desserts. All side dishes and desserts are homemade. We love our family recipes, and the house smells amazing.

Turkey
Sausage stuffing
Turkey gravy
Roasted root vegetables
Roasted brussel sprouts with bacon
Green bean casserole
Cranberry sauce
Yule log
Gingerbread Bundt cake
Assorted Christmas cookies

We are having a non-traditional Christmas dinner for us, since we normally have ham and basically the Thanksgiving dinner again. Our Christmas dinner went down in number by 5, since 2 of my grandchildren have Type A flu. It will be my son and dil and dh and me. We decided we wanted Italian.

I am fixing breakfast and having a Sausage Potato casserole, Rhodes Cinnamon Rolls, orange juice and coffee.

Then we are having Baked Ziti, Salad, Rhodes Rolls and some type of Chocolate Pudding dessert in a nut crust.

Breakfast is at our house and dinner is at their house. We live next door to each other. We will be playing board games and probably watching football.

With most of our family up North and our penchant for no cooking, it will be Chinese food.

+1

Good idea! We might get some Chinese take-out.

Haven't yet asked F what he wants to do. I have no family here. His family lives here, but due to a devastating family tragedy yesterday they won't be getting together tomorrow. Too soon; but things happen, life goes on. (Obviously I can't talk on the internet about something that personal). Mardi Gras is in less than 2 months, so we may get together some time in January, during carnival.

Since I will be alone this Christmas, no food here.

Visiting DD for an early Christmas brunch around 10:00 AM (no idea what will be served) and then a visit to step grandkids house for a late dinner of whatever was on the smoker. I'll bring a bone home for my pooch!

I was planning to smoke a whole duck on Christmas Day, but nixed that idea due to the weather.

We don’t celebrate Christmas. Our younger son and his family went out of town to visit friends ( yes, just before the blizzard!).

Our older son is just a few miles away and he hopes he can make it over here if the roads are better by then. He’s off work until Jan 3 and had been planning on frequently hanging out here for company. Our main roads are clear but it’s 2 degrees out and still windy. If he can get out of his parking lot and up the big hill to the main road he would be able to come over.

He asked me to make chili and biscuits, so I have everything here to do that.

Last edited:
My son, DIL and three grandkids come for brunch in the morning. Our menu is:
Spriral honeybaked ham
Ham balls
Monkey bread
Au gratin potatoes
Fruit

Happy Holidays to all!

Xmas eve is always homemade spaghetti, garlic bread, pies, cookies and candy. It started when the kids were little and Santa always came then and instead of playing with the kids and adults I was stuck in the kitchen cooking. Once I switched to this meal the problem was solved. The kid’s dad and his wife flew in to celebrate with us this year. They fly home tomorrow and I will spend the day relaxing because I have been on the go all week.

After getting my son up our driveway in the wheelchair van this morning, we are tucked in for Christmas.

Tonight we're having fondue.

Tomorrow: Prime Rib, twice-baked potatoes, asparagus, rolls, and ice cream cake

Back
Top Bottom