Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Guess you forgot its a Holiday today!
Being retired, everyday is a holiday to me!

Trivial fact here is that Columbus actually landed in the Bahamas on October 12th thinking he was in Asia. In 1937, Roosevelt named CD as the second Monday in October as the official holiday.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Or enlist the family you want to buy it for....I'm sure they'd be happy to help!!!
In normal times I would probably do that, but the main thing I’d like to get is the surprise on Christmas.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have started my Christmas shopping, at least for the Grandkids.
Plan to get a Nintendo Switch for the family household "big gift". Need to start looking for that, never played online games so I don't know how hard they are to find.
Adults get money and a small gift--that's easy!
Old 10-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely NOT a shopper. Cannot remember when I was last in a shopping mall. On line when I need something. Store pickup or delivery. About the only store I bother with is Costco for groceries or our local Co-Op for wine/beer.

Our children/grandchildren live far away. On line w/delivery or cash is what they want/need.

Been married 48 years. Not much that either of us want or need other than to travel.

I would take a trip to the dentist in preference to a shopping trip on a holiday weekend! Or most other days for that matter.

DW takes up the slack for me in this area.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

gift cards are never out of stock.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #26

I only buy gifts for two teenagers in my extended social circle. Each one will get a gift card, and I will pick up a couple of books for each one (as soon as I consult the expert - the teen librarian in town).

I am glad I am not trying to purchase the latest electronic gizmo or the "toy of the year" at this point in my life.

Despite the warnings already circulating about supply chain issues, and the recommendations to buy now (whether it be Christmas trees, gifts, whatever) I think folks are not yet paying attention or taking it seriously. This is perfectly understandable, considering all the added stresses on parents in the last 18 months.

There are probably going to be a lot of disappointed little (and not-so-little) faces on Christmas morning this year.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I am glad I am not trying to purchase the latest electronic gizmo or the "toy of the year" at this point in my life.
Queue the Four Yorkshiremen

This is nothing compared to the old days when we had to stand in line at a physical store to get the latest and greatest gadget at Christmas for our kids. I remember getting pretty physical (no hitting, just pushing and shoving) to get a Cabbage Patch Kid for my daughter. Driving around to get a Tamagotchi Pet or a Beanie Baby. Oh yeah, those were the days.

Today, all you have to do is click on a mouse and enter your credit card. These youngsters have it made.

But seriously, I’ll take a little bit of time at my computer to try to score a PS5, but if it doesn’t happen, no big deal. The days of doing it (trying to score the gizmo) aren’t over, but the days of caring about being successful certainly are.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I saw a Christmas display in Lowe’s on Sept 28. Trees, lights, decorations .. the whole thing. Now a local merchant has put up holiday lights. Way too early for my taste.
I will have to check this out to see if they have pumpkins under the Christmas trees.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Queue the Four Yorkshiremen

This is nothing compared to the old days when we had to stand in line at a physical store to get the latest and greatest gadget at Christmas for our kids. I remember getting pretty physical (no hitting, just pushing and shoving) to get a Cabbage Patch Kid for my daughter. Driving around to get a Tamagotchi Pet or a Beanie Baby. Oh yeah, those were the days.

Today, all you have to do is click on a mouse and enter your credit card. These youngsters have it made.

But seriously, I’ll take a little bit of time at my computer to try to score a PS5, but if it doesn’t happen, no big deal. The days of doing it (trying to score the gizmo) aren’t over, but the days of caring about being successful certainly are.
Oh, My I remember those toys and how hard it was to purchase them!
Old 10-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I only exchange with 2 people so not much shopping to do. I don’t have grandchildren.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I expect Christmas gifts will be generally scarcer and more expensive, like many items. But that's what gift certificates are for...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothing is in short supply if you know where to look.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #33
Administrator

I read this earlier today and thought of this thread. From this ars technica article, Best Buy has announced a $200 per year membership program called TotalTech and is limiting access to some of the more highly sought after products to subscribers. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...ra-200-a-year/
Quote:
If you're still searching for a PS5 and are a Best Buy customer, your ship may have just come in—that is, if you're willing to spend an extra $200 a year for access.

That's because the big-box electronics retailer is locking stock of in-demand holiday items like Sony's console behind membership of its new Totaltech program. The expensive customer service package was recently rolled out nationwide.
From the Best Buy website https://corporate.bestbuy.com/best-b...le-nationwide/
Quote:
For $199.99 per year members receive:

Free Geek Squad tech support, available 24/7/365 on all the technology in your home, no matter where you bought it.
Totaltech Expert Access, a VIP service with access to dedicated phone and chat teams.
Up to 24 months of product protection on most Best Buy purchases during active membership, including AppleCare+ on Apple products.
Free delivery and standard installation.
Exclusive Totaltech member prices.
20% off labor for repairs and advanced services and 10% off labor for custom installations.
Extended 60-day return and exchange window on most products.
Free haul-away on most product replacements.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Micheal B I saw that story too....not a good development for Jerry1 in his playstation search...

It will be interesting to see how much blowback BB gets.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Nothing is in short supply if you know where to look.
If you have to look harder for something, that makes it in short supply? There are lots of things you can't get as readily now, e.g. a new Tesla along with several car makes/models - well publicized. And I see some bare shelves in stores more now than any time I can recall.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We got rid of our artificial Christmas tree when we moved as it was pretty old and worn. When they started to get them in stores we took a look around. Most of them looked like the cheap plastic ones from the 70s. We were pretty shocked but figured it was the sign of the times. We finally found one at a big box hardware store that looked real good so we grabbed it up as there was talk of a pending shortage.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every holiday season, we participate in a toy drive.
They started earlier this year.
Usually it is early November.

It used to be a toy drive, but most of the time now the children ask for gift cards from Target, Walmart, Amazon.
Easy. Buy a gift box from the Dollar Tree and fill it up with some candy to give it some weight and put in the gift card in an envelope. Tape the box shut.
retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Given the shortage of new vehicles, I guess we won’t be seeing the annual GMC Christmas commercial where the young couple surprise each other Christmas morning with a new truck and SUV parked outside in the snow?
Old 10-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Given the shortage of new vehicles, I guess we won’t be seeing the annual GMC Christmas commercial where the young couple surprise each other Christmas morning with a new truck and SUV parked outside in the snow?

This one actually belongs on the worst commercial ever thread.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #40

Quote:
This one actually belongs on the worst commercial ever thread.
I don’t know, it was cute the first time. But, after two years and so many replays of it, it got beyond old.