Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Christmas gift items will they be in short supply and higher in cost?
Old 10-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Christmas gift items will they be in short supply and higher in cost?

The unofficial kickoff of Holiday shopping season..CD weekend.

Target Deal Days.. not much to look at.

I did not see a lot of competing ads as was common in past years. Couldn't find any special sale at Walmart. There were a few thing at BB but nothing really cheap.

For at least 10 years Kohls has had a10 off a 25 purchase with free shipping an additional discount if you used your Kohls Card. You could do many orders since it wasn't a unique coupon code. This did not happen this year.

I ordered some pants from Kohls Thursday and they say I should get them anytime between the 13th and 21th of October...

Has anyone started shopping for the holidays? I hate to wait too long as they say some items may be in very short supply. I shop for GK's at this point and that's about it.

What's in your crystal ball as to the best time to holiday shop this year?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

CD weekend?
Old 10-11-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
CD weekend?
Probably Columbus Day, but could be Charles Darwin...
Old 10-11-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
CD weekend?

Guess you forgot its a Holiday today!
Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Probably Columbus Day, but could be Charles Darwin...

I thought they changed the name of this holiday anyway....so erred on the side of caution... my calendar does mention Mr Columbus.

I could also said Canadian Thanksgiving Day.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #6

I think most retailers are having some degree of supply issues, so the expense of big ad discounts, this year, probably doesn't get the ROI to make it worthwhile.

Personally, I've started shopping a little, but not as much as I'd like. I will try to wrap things up earlier than usual though, to avoid having anything in transit those last couple of weeks when things might get even slower for deliveries. Plus my niece and nephew usually don't decide on their lists until around thanksgiving anyway. What a teenager wants in December is rarely the same thing they want in October!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I think most retailers are having some degree of supply issues, so the expense of big ad discounts, this year, probably doesn't get the ROI to make it worthwhile.

Personally, I've started shopping a little, but not as much as I'd like. I will try to wrap things up earlier than usual though, to avoid having anything in transit those last couple of weeks when things might get even slower for deliveries. Plus my neice and nephew usually don't decide on their lists until around thanksgiving anyway. What a teenager wants in December is rarely the same thing they want in October!

And even teenagers don't realize that the item they decide on might not available to purchase..I usually get my 4 young GK's cute Christmas shirts and jammies, I am not seeing them in stock right now. I don't think I'll wait for a sale if they become available.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

[mod edit]

… personally have completed Christmas shopping. Also staples shopping for the next 6-9mo (and not the metal kind, which I have prob decade supply). Not usually a prepper, and typically holiday shop mid-late Dec.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
… personally have completed Christmas shopping. Also staples shopping for the next 6-9mo (and not the metal kind, which I have prob decade supply). Not usually a prepper, and typically holiday shop mid-late Dec.

Congrats on being done, I wish I was done!
Old 10-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #10

I’ve been looking, but there’s just not much me or DW want or need and same for the grandkids. They already have too much electronics (screen time) or I’d get them new iPads. Their room is over stocked anyway so it’s going to be a light Christmas. If I could score a PS5, I’d get that for their family gift, but that’s unlikely unless I wanted to pay scalper prices.

Probably just going to give money but will try to be creative. For example, thinking of giving one grandson a home made gift card that instructs him to buy a new pair of running shoes (he runs cross country in school). His feet are growing so fast it’s hard for his parents to keep up. The other two are more difficult as they don’t have any obvious needs.

Oh well, I’ll keep looking.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a serious supply issue with high performance PC graphics cards. They are selling at 2-3 times MSRP now. High performance PCs are also suffering as custom PC vendors can't complete their builds. I'm searching for a AMD Ryzen 9 desktop with an NVIDIA RTX 3080 TI graphics card only to see prices shoot up to $2000 just for the graphics card alone.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #12
Administrator

I saw a Christmas display in Lowe’s on Sept 28. Trees, lights, decorations .. the whole thing. Now a local merchant has put up holiday lights. Way too early for my taste.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’ve been looking, but there’s just not much me or DW want or need and same for the grandkids. They already have too much electronics (screen time) or I’d get the new iPads. Their room is over stocked anyway so it’s going to be a light Christmas. If I could score a PS5, I’d get that for their family gift, but that’s unlikely unless I wanted to pay scalper prices.

Probably just going to give money but will try to be creative. For example, thinking of giving on grandson a home made gift card that instructs him to buy a new pair of running shoes (he runs cross country in school). His feet are growing so fast it’s hard for his parents to keep up. The other two are more difficult as they don’t have any obvious needs.

Oh well, I’ll keep looking.

We actually just scored a PS5....my SIL found it but he follows some sites that notify you when places have them in stock ours came from BB at list..you have to be quick about it.. it actually could have been a BB notification now that I think about it.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We actually just scored a PS5....my SIL found it but he follows some sites that notify you when places have them in stock ours came from BB at list..you have to be quick about it.. it actually could have been a BB notification now that I think about it.
Yeah, I signed up at Sony, but I’m not really up on how best to get notified. Maybe I’ll put my SIL on the job. Ask your SIL if I can pay him a finders fee to notify me. If I score one, I’ll pay him $100. Serious offer. PM me if interested.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I signed up at Sony, but I’m not really up on how best to get notified. Maybe I’ll put my SIL on the job. Ask your SIL if I can pay him a finders fee to notify me. If I score one, I’ll pay him $100. Serious offer. PM me if interested.

I won't take your money but I will text him and ask him how he got notified and then PM you...

This was about 6 weeks ago we got ours.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I won't take your money but I will text him and ask him how he got notified and then PM you...

This was about 6 weeks ago we got ours.
Thanks.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #17

I was the best aunt ever last year scoring a new xbox series X in December, when the nephew decided he had to have one.. We'd actually got in on the pre-order for DH, and ordered 3 from different places and cancelled when microsoft confirmed (we are pros at new console releases...) but that was months earlier.

But then I found Best Buy was releasing handfuls at a time at some stores, and got one...but had to drive two counties to pick it up. Nephew by that point thought there was no way it was happening, his sister was in on it but totally sold him that he was just getting an IOU, so it was a lot of fun when we all gave it to him on xmas eve.

Normally I hate things going up so early (decorations, etc.) and loathe those that put up halloween stuff in September as many in my neighborhood are. But this year, like last, is one I'm going to be glad to see the back of. So speed up holiday mode works for me.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks.

Not even a big secret go to techradar.com USPS5 stock..you will also see they have Matt Swider twitter tracker....if you don't want to twitter a bunch of tips on nabbing something directly from a retailer..

Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #19

Don’t even know how to use Twitter, but I’m sure I can figure it out. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don’t even know how to use Twitter, but I’m sure I can figure it out. Thanks.

Or enlist the family you want to buy it for....I'm sure they'd be happy to help!!!