Christmas Newsletters--Bah! Humbug!

Attachments

• Humbug.jpg
    Humbug.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 22
We have several relatives that send these out with all their new cars, other purchases, accomplishments, grown kids accomplishments, and travels. A couple of them have learned to do this with a certain amount of humility. Another has no idea as to what humility even is. Their culture and neighborhood seems to exude materialism. I always think of Thomas Stanley’s book “ The millionaire next door” when I watch them trying to keep up with the Jone’s. I would never let on how sad I feel for them that they have squandered their life (in our view) chasing things. We try to live the opposite of that. If we predecease them they will be shocked. They just think we are poor. And we like it that way. I refuse to read their Christmas letters. My wife reads them for me as she can do it with a certain amusement, and pass onto me anything she thinks I might want to know. My view is that that their are people who despise these letters like me, people who write them and think they are okay like the relatives I mentioned, and people that can read them and laugh like my wife.

I never have much liked the Christmas "Newsletters" I receive from friends (you know, the letters that detail all the great things they have done this year, all the stuff they bought, all the great awards the kids and grandkids have won). This year I seem to be receiving more than usual--I guess people have more time to write out these jewels. It is especially grating to me this year--when we are suppose to be staying home and being safe to see people brag about all the traveling they have done, all the parties and family get togethers, all the restaurant meals, etc.

Thanks for letting me rant. I say Bah! Humbug! to Christmas Newsletters.:rant:

I agree with you...though I feel mean and nasty that they irk me so much. So thanks for actually writing down your Bah Humbug, so I at least know I'm not the only one! I also feel they go on and on, and actually become quite boring...

I have yet to hear what acceptable items of news people may put in their newsletters, if they are not allowed to mention recent large purchases, children's successes, fancy vacations, awards they have received, or other accomplishments.

Surely we do not want newsletters filled, like a nursing home review, with tales of lumbago, megrims, fibromyalgia, children in juvenile hall, car accidents, large insurance claims, and deaths?

We have several relatives that send these out with all their new cars, other purchases, accomplishments, grown kids accomplishments, and travels. A couple of them have learned to do this with a certain amount of humility. Another has no idea as to what humility even is. Their culture and neighborhood seems to exude materialism. I always think of Thomas Stanley’s book “ The millionaire next door” when I watch them trying to keep up with the Jone’s. I would never let on how sad I feel for them that they have squandered their life (in our view) chasing things. We try to live the opposite of that. If we predecease them they will be shocked. They just think we are poor. And we like it that way. I refuse to read their Christmas letters. My wife reads them for me as she can do it with a certain amusement, and pass onto me anything she thinks I might want to know. My view is that that their are people who despise these letters like me, people who write them and think they are okay like the relatives I mentioned, and people that can read them and laugh like my wife.

+1, and that book is so true too

His was just the usual shot of the family and a half page of what was happening. I'm glad to know in these covid times.

I'm happy he is free from the grind next month.

Three pages seems a bit much. I would think three pages does gush a bit. Three pages, just call eh?

Three pages is nothing. I got one via eMailed that was 11 pages long with a cover letter apologizing for the short letter this year but so much of what they had planned was canceled. I skim for the highlights. Most years they are double or triple that length. Not much/any bragging, just lots of details of their life.

I have yet to hear what acceptable items of news people may put in their newsletters, if they are not allowed to mention recent large purchases, children's successes, fancy vacations, awards they have received, or other accomplishments.

Surely we do not want newsletters filled, like a nursing home review, with tales of lumbago, megrims, fibromyalgia, children in juvenile hall, car accidents, large insurance claims, and deaths?

[emoji23]

Instead of compiling an annual newsletter I simply come on here pretty much every day and bore the crap out of people with my inane posts.

Works for me.

Instead of compiling an annual newsletter I simply come on here pretty much every day and bore the crap out of people with my inane posts.

Works for me.

Nemo, at least you are not cluttering up our USPS mailboxes.:cool:

I'm not on Facebook. I'm guilty of doing a photocopied letter and sending a photocard. This year I was going to skip it, but I got so many emails asking where the letter was. There are so many people I can't visit (especially this year). When I go abroad and visit friends, I find that their children and parents feel as though they know my family because they all read my annual letter together. I have friends' parents at whose homes I spent my childhood who wait for the letter. My friends tell me how happy their parents are when they get the letter, as if I am their child, too. There are people on my list I see once a decade, but when we see each other, it's like no time has passed. Anyone I don't hear from, I drop the next year because I know not everyone wants to get photocopied letters and photocards. This year I got a card from someone I dropped a couple years ago because I hadn't heard from her, telling me how much she misses my letter and me. During the quarantine, I reconnected with friends I had lost touch with, so I had to order more cards. I am up to 133 cards. Nearly every person who receives my card sends me one or emails me. People tell me my letter makes them LOL. It is a labor of love for me, so I certainly don't want to send it to anyone who doesn't want to receive it.

I only have my younger sister left from my family and I would love to get a newsletter from her each year. She sent one or two a few years ago and I wish she would send them again. Maybe I am the only one that would like to receive one from her. A brother used to send them out but I unburdened myself from him and his family years ago. That turned into a plus since I really don't care what he is doing.

Cheers!

I never have much liked the Christmas "Newsletters" I receive from friends (you know, the letters that detail all the great things they have done this year, all the stuff they bought, all the great awards the kids and grandkids have won). This year I seem to be receiving more than usual--I guess people have more time to write out these jewels. It is especially grating to me this year--when we are suppose to be staying home and being safe to see people brag about all the traveling they have done, all the parties and family get togethers, all the restaurant meals, etc.

Thanks for letting me rant. I say Bah! Humbug! to Christmas Newsletters.:rant:

I think it's so fine of people to take the time from their busy schedules (anyone who is useful in life has a busy schedule) to write a card or letter on Christmas time! I treasure them and I still feel the pain of having lost some of my precious friends... :)

Many people, including myself, are on Facebook so no need for people to write letters. We see their lives on there.

And I think it’s great that your friends are enjoying life despite this horrendous year. You should be happy for them.

We did our first letter in several years just to keep in touch and it has caused several subsequent interactions. No bragging and nothing about the kids and grandkids except "they are well".

We go through and cull before sending.

This thread has inspired me to look back over Mom's Christmas letters. She collected them & put them in 2(!) 3" binders. I ran across them while moving. I have not looked at them but they likely started when Mom & Dad were just out of college (50's). Might be interesting & fun to look at

I think that would be fascinating to read and bring back memories!

My only living sibling who still lives in Connecticut, my 72 year old sister, called me on Christmas day and we had a nice 30 minute chat. She has two married sons (my nephews) and several grandchildren. I got an update on their lives.

One nephew and I text back and forth a lot during baseball season as I am a Yankee fan (I know, living in Texas) and he is a Red Sox fan, so we are mortal enemies in baseball land! LOL:D

Once in a while, my sister will write me a letter if she needs to update me on her side of the remaining family. She doesn't use Facebook (like me).

I'll take a ratio of two good things and one bad thing, since no one has a "perfect" year...:angel:

"We bought a new Lexus, and accidentally totaled it on our way to our kid's med school graduation."

I'll take a ratio of two good things and one bad thing, since no one has a "perfect" year...:angel:

"We bought a new Lexus, and accidentally totaled it on our way to our kid's med school graduation."

"..luckily, as fortune would have it, the Queen of England drove by with her entourage, stopped, gave us a ride and offered us accommodation in a castle if we were ever in the vicinity..."

Mixed emotions. Some are ok if the are just happy news. A lot tend to veer into self aggrandizement and boasting. Zzzzzz

Back
Top Bottom