Christmas songs you enjoy

The Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

And it appears this year's Air Force Christmas flash mob video is out. Always just awesome.

+1. We have gone to the Air Force Band's annual holiday concert in DC the last several years and they put on a terrific and entertaining show.

Number one for me:

Number one for me:

I like it! But what is he driving in the video -- a snowplow?

"O Tannenbaum" -- much as I like Christmas novelties, the true classics strike a chord. My favorite is "Silent Night," written in an obscure Austrian village by a parish priest and a small-town schoolmaster. In its 19th-century universe, it went viral. The history of the music is as inspiring as the music itself.

I'm a Finnish-American, so I get a kick out of Scandahoovian novelty songs like this one.

"O Tannenbaum" -- much as I like Christmas novelties, the true classics strike a chord. My favorite is "Silent Night," written in an obscure Austrian village by a parish priest and a small-town schoolmaster. In its 19th-century universe, it went viral. The history of the music is as inspiring as the music itself.
That is a beautiful version of Silent Night! I think the classics are my favorites as well.

I'm a Finnish-American, so I get a kick out of Scandahoovian novelty songs like this one.
That's hilarious! I like your two songs a lot. :)

A song often played during Advent (although certainly not limited to that season) is Johann Sebastian Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", sung here by Josh Groban. I have soloed this piece at church and can testify that it is as inspiring to sing as to hear. I will never tire of it.

also, an instrumental version

https://youtu.be/Jxtit85ua00
I'll be Home for Christmas

As I child I had a old beat up blue and white record player under my bed that I played this Perry Como album on countless times. I even knew where the skips in the record were and would sing them! I loved all the songs on the album but some are more special than others. I eventually had the CD and then the iTunes version but the original LP has Perry and the other singers exchanging banter between songs which is pretty special.

I really like most of the traditional Christmas songs. But, one of my favorites in the non-traditional category is Robert Earl Keene’s “Merry Christmas from the Family.” There’s a lot there I can identify with, especially the part about Bloody Marys (“Cause we all want one!!”).

http://youtu.be/P37xPiRz1sg

https://youtu.be/Jxtit85ua00
I'll be Home for Christmas

As I child I had a old beat up blue and white record player under my bed that I played this Perry Como album on countless times. I even knew where the skips in the record were and would sing them! I loved all the songs on the album but some are more special than others. I eventually had the CD and then the iTunes version but the original LP has Perry and the other singers exchanging banter between songs which is pretty special.

We had of those old 45-rpm "sock hop" phonographs that came to us with some used records -- among them, one of Der Bingle singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." It too had a bunch of skips, among them (IIRC) a point where Bing sang "Satan's power ..." over and over again.

+1 for the songs in A Charlie Brown Christmas. Also Rudolph. I still get teary-eyed when Clarice sings, "There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true..."

And this one, although it’s not a “festive” carol, captures the quiet wonder of the season, with stars shining in the dark winter night sky.

The video is distracting so it’s better just to listen.

The singer is the same one who, decades ago, used to close out “The Midnight Special” with a rendition of “You’ve Got to Cross that Lonesome Valley.” The show was a mixture of folk music, “show tunes and satire,” etc. which WFMT in Chicago used to broadcast every Saturday night, and each year they would run a Christmas Midnight Special, with all kinds of lesser-known Christmas folk songs... as well as classics like “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.”

https://youtu.be/qRMSmaA-1-I

I enjoy the diversity of musical tastes in this group. We cover so many bases as a group. I bet a pot-luck picnic would be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom