Join Early Retirement Today

Chromebook for college student
Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chromebook for college student

A young relative of mine is going back to college to get a degree. Most likely the degree will be in psychology. It won't be in the hard sciences, math or engineering, that's for sure.

I am thinking of getting her a Chromebook as she is now using an 8+ year old laptop that is slooooooowwwwwww.......

For those of you who have kids in college, do you think a Chromebook would work well? Or should I go for a Windows Laptop? Perhaps one of those sleek Yoga machines? I would love to get her a Mac, but the current Mac prices are just not in my ballpark.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
gone traveling

My mom uses a chrome book, it's great for surfing the web but not very good for saving and moving files, a pc would be a better choice for those tasks
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used only a Chromebook for about seven years. As long as one has web access, saving files is not an issue. I keep everything in the cloud and have never had an issue either storing or retrieving. Plus, when I upgrade to a new unit, I never have to copy files, etc.

It took some time to get over having my stuff in the cloud, but once I got past separation anxiety, I grew to love it. Also, no viruses, malware, etc and no need for defensive software - ever. YMMV
Old 08-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

Re files - Google docs takes care of that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Heavy Chromebook user. Files can be stored in the cloud, on the book itself (relatively small storage) or on flash drive. Not sure about how appropriate for college however
Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
. Not sure about how appropriate for college however
That is what I am wondering about. I know lots of people who use Chromebooks for email, surfing and other not very serious stuff. But, for college, I am not sure.

So, if you know a person in college who uses a Chromebook pass along what they say.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

She will want whatever everyone else has, so I suggest giving money and letting her choose for herself.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
She will want whatever everyone else has, so I suggest giving money and letting her choose for herself.
+1

People tend to be fairly picky about the specific brands of their devices, so giving her a Chromebook might be akin to giving her a Toyota when she's actually a die-hard BMW enthusiast. Just give her enough cash (or a gift card) to purchase a decent, middle-of-the-road, modern laptop of whatever make she prefers.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
For those of you who have kids in college, do you think a Chromebook would work well?
Yes, very much so. I use a chromebook, and both of my kids use a Chromebook for school, they are great. I would advise against getting a Windows laptop.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have found Chromebooks are not straight forward when it comes to printing. So I would be concerned about that in college. No doubt, however, they are great for surfing and email. I like the suggestion about giving $ instead.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
...People tend to be fairly picky about the specific brands of their devices, so giving her a Chromebook might be akin to giving her a Toyota when she's actually a die-hard BMW enthusiast. Just give her enough cash (or a gift card) to purchase a decent, middle-of-the-road, modern laptop of whatever make she prefers.
Chromebook is not a brand. It is a type of laptop running the Chrome operating system. They are sold by many different manufacturers.

DD used one her last 2 years in college with no problem at all. She was an education major, so rarely needed to run any specific Windows software. For editing documents, spreadsheets, etc, she used Google Docs and Sheets, and everything was stored on Google Drive.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #12

You should also check the college's IT requirements. Even though she is not in a hard science, there may be required software. I agree that a cash contribution is most workable.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

On printing, my Chromebook automatically connected to our Epson wireless printer without any issue. I can print anything from anywhere in our house. For storage, I use the web or my 64 GB flash drive.

Love my Chromebook and haven't turned on the Windows laptop for two years.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Chromebook is not a brand. It is a type of laptop running the Chrome operating system. They are sold by many different manufacturers.

DD used one her last 2 years in college with no problem at all. She was an education major, so rarely needed to run any specific Windows software. For editing documents, spreadsheets, etc, she used Google Docs and Sheets, and everything was stored on Google Drive.
The Chrome OS is very much a brand of operating system, even if the hardware that runs it is made by different manufacturers. So my point is that some people much prefer the Windows OS "brand", which some only feel comfortable using Mac OS and still others may prefer Chrome OS. If you give a Chromebook to someone who is a stalwart Windows user or a long-time Mac OS user, they may end up tinkering with it or not using it at all... or they may love it.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
+1

People tend to be fairly picky about the specific brands of their devices, so giving her a Chromebook might be akin to giving her a Toyota when she's actually a die-hard BMW enthusiast. Just give her enough cash (or a gift card) to purchase a decent, middle-of-the-road, modern laptop of whatever make she prefers.
++1, no brainer.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Good points, especially to see what the college recommends. I'll put it on the back burner for a month or so and see what falls out of the tree when it shakes.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
I am thinking of getting her a Chromebook as she is now using an 8+ year old laptop that is slooooooowwwwwww.......

For those of you who have kids in college, do you think a Chromebook would work well? Or should I go for a Windows Laptop? Perhaps one of those sleek Yoga machines? I would love to get her a Mac, but the current Mac prices are just not in my ballpark.
Check in with the college first. Many have tech support in place for a limited variety of computer types. If Chromebooks are not on the list, you may want to rethink your choice. Perhaps give her the money toward a better computer and let her decide.

Personally, I love Chromebooks. I'd have no trouble using it unless a course required specific software that wasn't supported (seems unlikely for this major). But then, I'm technical enough to work my way through issues. Your daughter many not be capable.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Good points, especially to see what the college recommends.
+1. Not only may the college have recommendations, but they may even have requirements and potentially deals with specific vendors.

Also, students get discounts if they buy directly from most places. Apple and Best Buy are examples that offer student discounts. For Best Buy, the student registers on the BB website with their student email address and receives coupons via email. $200 off IIRC.

Another thing to consider is contributing to a 529 if one exists, that can then be used as a tax deduction, grows tax-free, and can pay for the laptop when necessary.
ExitLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #19

Also some software manufacturers offer student versions at a deep discount. Not sure if they have chrome versions or if she will need any of that software.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Check in with the college first. Many have tech support in place for a limited variety of computer types. If Chromebooks are not on the list, you may want to rethink your choice. Perhaps give her the money toward a better computer and let her decide.
That's one of the great things about Chromebooks, you don't need tech support, they just work. In that regard, there are no better computers in my opinion.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chromebook college