Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
It's sounding like this was correct. They probably stopped smoking, at least at home, for a while, and then started up. Now they've stopped again. Hopefully not just temporarily. I doubt you had a temporary condition with wind currents or anything like that unless it coincided when the furnace started being used. But you smelled it in Oct and not in Nov and Dec, and I assume the furnace was running there in Ottawa then.
This is the second time we're dealing with the cig smell inside our house.
I highly, highly doubt they ever quit smoking. Quitting smoking isn't like quitting eating starchy carbs. Quitting smoking is a very difficult thing to do and two smokers going cold turkey at the same time for three months is highly unlikely. I smelled the cig smell on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and then the smell restarted on Jan 1, and continued until the landlord paid them a visit. DH and my theory - they gave themselves a special present - smoking inside the house during the holiday, and when nobody showed up to complain, they said, f*ck it, we're gonna start smoking inside the house again, like every day!

Right now, I fully believe that the smell was coming solely from the inside of the house. Nothing to do with the air current outside, as you said. After experiencing two very clear-cut changes in the smoke smell inside our house after the landlord paying them a visit, I am 100% convinced the smoke was coming through the common wall. (I'm ruling out the attic since we detected absolutely no cig smell in our attic.) It's true, I cannot smell any food smell coming in from the other side of the house, but maybe the kitchen is far from the common wall and that may be the reason. I did smell some kind of minty air neutralizer kind of smell coming through about the time the landlord told us he would pay them a visit.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

And oh! I wanted to mention, I talked to the people who installed our furnace, and the tech guy there said the cig smell that may come in via intake pipe to the furnace will not be detected inside the house because that is used for the combustion air only. Don't ask me to explain the mechanism cuz I don't know, but we're removing the shielding material on one side of the intake pipe we have placed as an experiment.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I'm sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier, but I see you found a solution for the time being.

My point was that if your neighbor had contaminated air pushed into the attic, it would be pushed to the path of least resistance. Sometimes, outside weather may be eclipsed by your furnace fan, pulling from the easiest place (i.e. your attic with contaminated air). Air, like a lot of things, is lazy.

The closed air systems have a separate intake for combustion system/ exhaust system. When the furnace fan runs, it pulls again from the easiest place, maybe the bath vent, maybe a window, maybe nowhere. The use of an incense stick was good, I never though of them as I don't use them.

Your covers for the return vents may be uncontrollable, or they may have a lever to control the amount of air that enters them. My house has 2 cold air returns in each room, the upper one gets opened/bottom gets closed in the summer time to allow room to "fill up" with cold air and push warmer air out the top. Vice verso in winter as room "fills up" with warm air, the colder air gets sucked out bottom return. You can purchase the registers online or at one of the box stores, just measure the size of your duct beforehand.

When we first moved into our house in '91, it had ivory carpet throughout. We noticed after the winter season that on the first floor, around the baseboard, that the carpet was acting like a mini-filter and was awfully dirty. Here, the return air was getting sucked through the carpet to the cold air returns. It took some duct tape and caulk to insure the return registers were the only source for the system.

Another way to determine if your system is balanced, is if you hear your ducts bang or clang when the fan comes on, it's telling you it's sucking pretty hard on that section and needs some relief.
Thank you for the explanation of the closed system. We do have a closed system (intake and exhaust).

I'm not sure if the incense was a good idea. It smoked up our place, and it smelled pretty bad. It wasn't as bad as the cig smell, but its fake sandalwood smell lingered for days, mixed in with a forest fire kind of smell from lighting matches!

We don't have enough returns in our house to be able to do much with them, so I imagine there's no easy way to increase positive air pressure in our house besides opening the windows? (not practical in the cold winter months...)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
We don't have enough returns in our house to be able to do much with them, so I imagine there's no easy way to increase positive air pressure in our house besides opening the windows? (not practical in the cold winter months...)
Unfortunately, there are plenty of ways to depressurize your house. Any time you run the clothes dryer or the bathroom fan it depressurizes your building envelope. Likewise with kitchen fans that vent outside and combustion appliances with a conventional flue. And then there is "stack effect" as warm are moves upward in the home and eventually some leaves through cracks, etc. So, most homes are at negative pressure when compared to the outside. The "approved" answer is to install a heat recovery ventilator that brings in outside air with a fan, and inside air is allowed to leave, but as it does so it exchanges heat with that incoming air so that energy loss is reduced (not eliminated). With the controls on these, you may achieve a small amount of positive pressure inside, which would probably stop the neighbor's smoke from coming in. Positive pressure is probably too much to hope for given the leakiness of most homes, and it is not really needed. Just neutral pressure would be good enough.
Negative air pressures in the home are a main reason that radon gas comes in through foundations and basements.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I'm not sure if the incense was a good idea. It smoked up our place, and it smelled pretty bad. It wasn't as bad as the cig smell, but its fake sandalwood smell lingered for days, mixed in with a forest fire kind of smell from lighting matches!

When I suggested incense, it was to use the smoke that drifts/wafts up from the incense stick to see which way the wind is blowing right at the electrical outlets and the window casement edges, and along the baseboard near the carpet.

I suggested it as there would be less chance of fire than using rolled up paper.

Yes it does smell, but you could light it with a bic or butane lighter to not have the match smell.

You could also have an electronic smoking (vaping) friend, come over to gently blow the huge clouds of "smoke" at the baseboards etc to see if there is airflow. Have your friend buy some nice smelling vape liquid, and open the house windows afterwards.

Once you know the leakage points, you could caulk then closed.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Unfortunately, there are plenty of ways to depressurize your house. Any time you run the clothes dryer or the bathroom fan it depressurizes your building envelope. Likewise with kitchen fans that vent outside and combustion appliances with a conventional flue. And then there is "stack effect" as warm are moves upward in the home and eventually some leaves through cracks, etc. So, most homes are at negative pressure when compared to the outside. The "approved" answer is to install a heat recovery ventilator that brings in outside air with a fan, and inside air is allowed to leave, but as it does so it exchanges heat with that incoming air so that energy loss is reduced (not eliminated). With the controls on these, you may achieve a small amount of positive pressure inside, which would probably stop the neighbor's smoke from coming in. Positive pressure is probably too much to hope for given the leakiness of most homes, and it is not really needed. Just neutral pressure would be good enough.
Negative air pressures in the home are a main reason that radon gas comes in through foundations and basements.
Wow, thank you very much for the explanation on how native pressures occur in a house and how to deal with it! So, the heat recovery ventilator, I didn't know there was such a thing! I will definitely keep that in mind. I hope we won't have to install this (requires poking a hole in the wall to the outside for a single room, and a lot of expensive work to get something through the roof?), but it's good to know we have that as one of our options.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope we won't have to install this (requires poking a hole in the wall to the outside for a single room, and a lot of expensive work to get something through the roof?) . ..
Normally an HRV would be tied into your HVAC system and would assure this clean, filtered outside air is circulated throughout your home. As houses become "tighter", the air in them has gotten less healthy due to all kinds of stuff that enters the air in our homes as we live (moisture, offgassing from plastics, dust, gassed and particulates from cooking, etc). In some places, HRVs (and similar active ventilation measures) are required by code in new construction.
They do improve indoor air quality a lot in tighter homes.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Normally an HRV would be tied into your HVAC system and would assure this clean, filtered outside air is circulated throughout your home. As houses become "tighter", the air in them has gotten less healthy due to all kinds of stuff that enters the air in our homes as we live (moisture, offgassing from plastics, dust, gassed and particulates from cooking, etc). In some places, HRVs (and similar active ventilation measures) are required by code in new construction.
They do improve indoor air quality a lot in tighter homes.
Ah... So, then, my new HVAC system (4-stage HE HVAC installed 2 years ago) already has this? (It does bring in the air from the outside and pushes out the exhaust...) But I can still install a separate heat recovery ventilator to further pressurize my house? (Sorry, this is way out of my field...)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah... So, then, my new HVAC system (4-stage HE HVAC installed 2 years ago) already has this? (It does bring in the air from the outside and pushes out the exhaust...) But I can still install a separate heat recovery ventilator to further pressurize my house? (Sorry, this is way out of my field...)
Nope, you probably don't have an HRV or similar active ventilation unless your house itself is relatively new and tight. Older homes have enough leakage that the indoor air quality stays acceptable without these active measures to bring outside air inside.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope, you probably don't have an HRV or similar active ventilation unless your house itself is relatively new and tight. Older homes have enough leakage that the indoor air quality stays acceptable without these active measures to bring outside air inside.
Thanks, I talked to the people who installed our furnace, and they said we don't have an HRV. They said the HRV will help dilute the existing air, but it won't pressurize our home because the same amount of air taken in will be pushed out, but it could still help because it will dilute the stale or cig smelling air.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks, I talked to the people who installed our furnace, and they said we don't have an HRV. They said the HRV will help dilute the existing air, but it won't pressurize our home because the same amount of air taken in will be pushed out, but it could still help because it will dilute the stale or cig smelling air.
Restrict that outflow and voila, you'll have the desired, very slight positive pressure inside your home.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote