Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You think you could get him to wear it?
...nm....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Remembered seeing this on the news. Here's the article:

7online.com: Man gets seatbelt ticket, survives crash 5/27/08

- Ron
Although I agree with the message here, if the guy had not been stopped for the ticket, he probably would not have happened to be in that intersection in which he got broadsided.

Just thought I'd make that metaphysical point.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
What bothers me is not the ticket, but the enforcement (as opposed to encouragement) of the stupid law.
could have been worse. you could have gotten a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt while the passengers you were driving in the flat bed of your pick-up truck got off scott free.

Scott Free - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #44
gone traveling

Pay the ticket.

Accept the responsibility that comes with the privilege.

Buckle up and drive safely.

Help keep my insurance premiums down.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Driving is a privilege and not a right. Be cool and follow the rules.

Besides, if you're not wearing a seatbelt you might be thrown from the car during an accident and cause another car to crash trying to avoid hitting your body.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Besides, let's face it. Most men who refuse to wear seatbelts are old, old, OLD - - older than Methuselah.

You don't want the girls to think your just some wizened, gray-haired wrinkled old fogie with half his teeth, now do you? Attractive, sexy men (like Frank ) wear their seatbelts and don't whine about it.

Consider wearing a seatbelt as part of your grooming ritual and at least a small effort to present yourself positively to the opposite sex.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I have now seen the light. In the future, when riding a motorcycle, i will make a point of buckling up. Can't be too safe.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Besides, let's face it. Most men who refuse to wear seatbelts are old, old, OLD - - older than Methuselah.

You don't want the girls to think your just some wizened, gray-haired wrinkled old fogie with half his teeth, now do you? Attractive, sexy men (like Frank ) wear their seatbelts and don't whine about it.
In the senior citizens' world, if the man can walk under his own power, he is snagged by the canes of randy old women.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There is a valid argument that failure to wear a seat belt does affect other people. Their car and medical insurance rates are higher and there is the lost productivity at work, which affects their employer and the people who have to pick up the injured person's slack.
Over eating, smoking, drinking, pool playing, golf, flying, football, baseball, rock climbing, sky diving, driving to work, ..... this list could go on forever! People get hurt doing things. So should we outlaw them?

I strongly believe the function of government in a free society should be to educate not legislate to the max extent possible. I have heard that in some European countries the wearing of a seat belt is not mandatory, however, your insurance company does not have to pay off your expenses if you don't, and insurance is mandatory. Seat belt use is close to 100%.

By the way, I always wear a seat belt.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I have now seen the light. In the future, when riding a motorcycle, i will make a point of buckling up. Can't be too safe.
Make sure you start wearing your helmet when driving your car too. If everyone would do that it would reduce head injuries in vehicle accidents (which by the way are far more numerous than mc accidents) & save us all money on our insurance premiums.

What I want to know is when the legislature is going to get off their *** with this helmet legislation & save us all from ourselves!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I'm okay with people not wanting to be told how to live their lives.

As long as they agree to pay higher insurance premiums for their car and health care to compensate for the higher risks, or waive any insurance payments in the event of an accident made worse because they werent wearing a seatbelt or a helmet. Plus they automatically get low priority in the emergency room vs patients who took adequate measures to avoid senseless injuries.

I've found a lot of the "freebird" types lose interest pretty quick when they dont get the dual benefit of doing what they want AND not paying for the consequences.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Also, it's already the law. It applies to everyone. Sam said he broke it and got caught. Suck it up and take your lumps.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

As long as they agree to pay higher insurance premiums for their car and health care to compensate for the higher risks, or waive any insurance payments in the event of an accident made worse because they werent wearing a seatbelt or a helmet. Plus they automatically get low priority in the emergency room vs patients who took adequate measures to avoid senseless injuries.

I've found a lot of the "freebird" types lose interest pretty quick when they dont get the dual benefit of doing what they want AND not paying for the consequences.
It may suprise you, but I agree. In a free country you should have the right to do stupid stuff, and you should have the right to pay for it.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I beg your pardon! The correct term is "older than dirt". But that is not me because I ALWAYS wear a seat belt and now that you said that; I will continue to do so!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The problem with that is who is to know? My sister rolled her truck and on one of the rollovers the cab was pushed over to the right a LOT... so her head hit the road on the next rollover... fortunately she survived with no long term damage... but had a bad gash, a broken neck and other injuries.... every doctor she saw asked her about wearing a seat belt... and she WAS... they just could not believe her injuries while wearing one... once you saw the truck, it became apparent how...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
I beg your pardon! The correct term is "older than dirt". But that is not me because I ALWAYS wear a seat belt and now that you said that; I will continue to do so!
Good for you!! Obviously you are neither older than dirt, nor older than Methuselah.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The problem with that is who is to know? My sister rolled her truck and on one of the rollovers the cab was pushed over to the right a LOT... so her head hit the road on the next rollover... fortunately she survived with no long term damage... but had a bad gash, a broken neck and other injuries.... every doctor she saw asked her about wearing a seat belt... and she WAS... they just could not believe her injuries while wearing one... once you saw the truck, it became apparent how...
Thats why its an unworkable option, and why the laws were signed into effect.

The insurance companies said they'd like to raise rates on cars and motorcycles through the roof because seat belt and helmet compliance was lousy. The lawmakers put in a law requiring seat belts and helmets to avoid the rate hikes. Everybody likes cheaper insurance. Most people I know enjoy having their head in one piece.

Good news is if you wanna be "free and easy", go ahead. You'll probably only get caught once every couple of years and the ticket price is probably close to the insurance savings.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Good news is if you wanna be "free and easy", go ahead.
All freebirds should let their views be known and go without seatbelts.

Fight the Man!
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I could no more forget to put on my seatbelt than to put on my pants.

[looks down] Oops.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #60

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
It may suprise you, but I agree. In a free country you should have the right to do stupid stuff, and you should have the right to pay for it.
Well, I can't hear CFB myself - only his/her echo when quoted - but:

the amount of insurance premium I agree to pay is between my & my insurance company, not you or CFB & only to a small degree, the govt -

and as long as we are advocating giving certain people priority in emergency rooms, how about we give priority to those who can immediately demonstrate evidence that the ER will actually recieve reimbursement for services rendered? Would that be OK?

Are either of you wearing those helmets yet when driving your cars? Perhaps you we give priority ER treatment & discounted insurance to those who do. In fact, there should be a govt mandate.

(Ouch - I bit my tounge again - had it in my cheek )