Join Early Retirement Today

Citibank CC fraud alerts for gas?
Old 07-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Citibank CC fraud alerts for gas?

Just wondering if anyone else is receiving fraud alerts from Citibank everytime they purchase gas?

We have a Citi Double Cash card that we use for almost everything. The last two times DH has purchased gas I have received a fraud alert text requiring me to confirm that I am trying to buy gas before they will approve the purchase. This is bothersome because DH does not have a smart phone, so if I'm not with him or aware that he's buying gas he might have some difficulties filling up.

I called Citibank to ask if there was a flag on the account or was there an issue with this gas station (where we've been buying gas for 10+ years) or if this is just the new standard procedure for gas purchases. The agent was not helpful. He just kept repeating that they need to confirm the charges were legitimate. He would not speak to what raised the fraud flag in the first place. Frustrating.

btw, our gas purchases are generally less than $36 and I already receive email alerts every time the card is used, and a text if the a charge is made without the card present.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is Citibank's new procedure for gas purchases. If so, we might have to start using a different card.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Just wondering if anyone else is receiving fraud alerts from Citibank everytime they purchase gas?

We have a Citi Double Cash card that we use for almost everything. The last two times DH has purchased gas I have received a fraud alert text requiring me to confirm that I am trying to buy gas before they will approve the purchase. This is bothersome because DH does not have a smart phone, so if I'm not with him or aware that he's buying gas he might have some difficulties filling up.

I called Citibank to ask if there was a flag on the account or was there an issue with this gas station (where we've been buying gas for 10+ years) or if this is just the new standard procedure for gas purchases. The agent was not helpful. He just kept repeating that they need to confirm the charges were legitimate. He would not speak to what raised the fraud flag in the first place. Frustrating.

btw, our gas purchases are generally less than $36 and I already receive email alerts every time the card is used, and a text if the a charge is made without the card present.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is Citibank's new procedure for gas purchases. If so, we might have to start using a different card.

I haven't noted anything different.
Resently the station my wife uses closed for new construction. My wife started charging $10 at another station and got declined, and notified, this happened twice, when she called she found that her pattern changed and that was suspicious.
She usually filled up at the same station and then started $10 each time at another station. I am happy they make they attempt to stop fraud. Let's give a 3 years hard labor prison sentence for CC fraud!

It costs us all.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every time we fill up with our Chase Freedom card we get an email alert. I did not ask for this but it doesn't bother me.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about it. In my experience, gas stations are one of the most common places for credit card fraud. So better safe than sorry.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. In my experience, gas stations are one of the most common places for credit card fraud. So better safe than sorry.

If it were just an alert I would not be concerned, as I already get those. This is “we won’t allow this transaction to go through until you confirm it’s legit back to Citibank” warning. This means that DH cannot get gas without me on standby to receive and respond back to them. This is an inconvenience I do not want or need.

I understand that stolen cards are frequently used at gas stations, but their algorithms should be able to detect that this station is located in our zip code and we’ve purchased gas there at least once a month for the past 10 years.

Any Citibank users who can share if they do or do not have this experience when buying gas?
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Might be time to wave a fond goodbye to Citibank and find yourself a new card.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #7

This happened on a shell mastercard from citi to me in Miami in Dec 2016. When I called about it, they said that Miami was a major fraud area.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
If it were just an alert I would not be concerned, as I already get those. This is “we won’t allow this transaction to go through until you confirm it’s legit back to Citibank” warning. This means that DH cannot get gas without me on standby to receive and respond back to them. This is an inconvenience I do not want or need.
Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention to what you posted. Since they are not being cooperative, I second REWahoo's recommendation.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I always carry 2 cards, usually 3, so that I have an alternate to use in case one is rejected due to fraud, real or not. I would also drop a card that had this kind of problem. But I would first examine all recent transactions to make sure there wasn't actually some real fraud going on, or irregular spending of yours that might have put your card on alert.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been using my Citi double cash card for gas at Sam's club with no problems. I get a $1 authorization charge which is replaced by the actual amount afterwards.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Either use another CC (this is why having a few CC's is good).
Or have spouse tell you when spouse is going to get gas, and if the alert comes in while spouse is out, just OK the charge, unless it's over $50.

I'd go with the different CC.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #12

Yes that you actually have to respond to an e-mail or text alert is a major pain. Especially when a family member is using a companion card and if it is the same person responding as pumping gas then poor form as they are using mobile phone near the pumps which is frowned on. I would be looking at another card I think.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Yes that you actually have to respond to an e-mail or text alert is a major pain. Especially when a family member is using a companion card and if it is the same person responding as pumping gas then poor form as they are using mobile phone near the pumps which is frowned on. I would be looking at another card I think.
Maybe you could accept a higher loss than the now $50, say $500 if they would quit notifying you! :-)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote