Civics Quiz - How'd ya do?

Missed 26 and 29. 26 because I was going to fast and 29 on the fence on the answer.

Really thought I scored 100%.

I got the same, but I'm an Aussie, so my excuse is.......errrrmmmmm.....have no clue what conclusion to draw from that :D :angel:

Most of my failures were in the US historical areas, not surprising since I have no clue about who said what, when and why in the 'mercan context :D

But a lot of the questions related to fundamental, self-evident matters of democracy and decency, so my Aussie-ness at least counts a bit :angel:

Cheers (wondering how well other non-US peeps did)
Im impressed, mbooth -- I doubt I would do anywhere near as well as you did, on a test written for Australians.

Coach

Missed #11 and #13, better than I thought. I am usually good with tests, and guessed quite a few right.

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Worse than I should have, but better than I expected.

I too disagree with
#33. If taxes equal government spending, then:
A. government debt is zero.

I think it means the budget is balanced, but the government can still have a huge debt from the previous administration, as in our present state of affairs.

I scored a 30/33.

I wasn't a fan of question 27:

27) Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because:
A. the price system utilizes more local knowledge of means and ends
B. markets rely upon coercion, whereas government relies upon voluntary compliance with the law
C. more tax revenue can be generated from free enterprise
D. property rights and contracts are best enforced by the market system
E. government planners are too cautious in spending taxpayers’ money

I was not thoughtful enough and answered D, but C seems like a true statement. But I guess the causality is slightly circular, which nullifies it. Centrally planned economies have lower growth rates, which means they can take in less taxes over time, leading to its demise.

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Did not know anything about Lincoln... missed one by not thinking... missed Socrates and did not know it either

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

Is that OK for a citizen/resident of Canuckistan?
Hell kumquat, you left the average US citizen in your dust. Move down -- we clearly need smarter voters.

Coach

84.85%. Interesting test. Think I will pass it along. Was it all civics or was there a little history in there, too. Cuban missle crisis is one of the questions I question.

Free to canoe

You answered 24 out of 33 correctly — 72.73 %

history was always my worst subject. we were taught with timelines and regurgitation, not through any kind of real thinking.
i love to watch History Channel today.

29/33.

heh heh heh - ;) And they are of course wrong - not me cause I have a Curmudgeon certificate and being retired I don't let silly facts confuse me. :D

Got 32/33 but missed:

33) If taxes equal government spending, then:A. government debt is zeroB. printing money no longer causes inflationC. government is not helping anybodyD. tax per person equals government spending per personE. tax loopholes and special-interest spending are absent

I must be very tired!

Piano

32/33 -- missed the Q about the puritans.

2Cor521

90.91%
Missed Jefferson's letters and seperation of Church and state. The levee question (read it too fast) and the last one about tax per person would be equal to what was spent on you. I don't agree with that.

.... and the last one about tax per person would be equal to what was spent on you. I don't agree with that.

How can you not agree with it? That is like saying 5 does not equal 5.

33) If taxes equal government spending, then:

A. government debt is zero
B. printing money no longer causes inflation
C. government is not helping anybody
D. tax per person equals government spending per person
E. tax loopholes and special-interest spending are absent
Given: T (taxes) = S (Spending)

therefore T/Person = S/Person

Example:

They collect 10 million.
They spend 10 million.
There are 2 Million people.

$10M/2M people equals $5 per person collected and $5/person spent. 5=5.

What is not to agree with?

-ERD50

PS - it could be kumquats or ping pong balls or anything - the "per person" factors out. The key is that collections equal spending. But if there were an existing debt, it would still be there, just not added to.

96.97 - missed #33 - don't know if I agree with their answer - it's quite an assumption based on the mechanism - but in any case, was happy especially with some of the historical and canonical information as to where certain ideas truly cam fomr (separation of church and state - Thomas Jefferson's letters - not any governing document of our country....and the philosophical one - that there must be a baseline or absolute origin in order to establish relativism or one doesn't know where they are at all - interesting test....

How can you not agree with it? That is like saying 5 does not equal 5.

Given: T (taxes) = S (Spending)

therefore T/Person = S/Person

Example:

They collect 10 million.
They spend 10 million.
There are 2 Million people.

$10M/2M people equals $5 per person collected and $5/person spent. 5=5.

What is not to agree with?

-ERD50

PS - it could be kumquats or ping pong balls or anything - the "per person" factors out. The key is that collections equal spending. But if there were an existing debt, it would still be there, just not added to.

I read that as if I pay $1,000 in taxes, the gov't spends $1,000 on my benefits? Not $999 or $1,001 but $1,000. Maybe I read it wrong. When I do reread it, I think I took it to literal.

I read that as if I pay $1,000 in taxes, the gov't spends $1,000 on my benefits? Not $999 or $1,001 but $1,000. Maybe I read it wrong. When I do reread it, I think I took it to literal.

OK, they imply "on average", kinda like that 2.6 kid family. You don't want to take that too literally either. ;)

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom