Civil War Started 150 years ago today........

Speaking of fried grits cakes (everything is good when fried), anyone ever made bollos, I think they are called, or black eyed pea fritters? I ate them in Key West a long time ago, and have tinkered with recipes over the years with less than satisfactory results.

Explanade, our local paper did a huge series on the war that I think included some of that fellow's research. Thanks; I'll check him out.

Don let dem Yanks fool ya, de wish de had weather like we does.

Actually, most of us (yanks) are quite happy to live in higher cost of living places to be AWAY from stifling heat and all those hurricanes, oil spills, tornadoes, etc. The current and rising body count from the latest batch of storms down there is unbelievable.

My mother made fried grit cakes frequently. She would make a pot of grits, pour it on a cookie sheet, let it cool and solidify, and then cut into squares and fry in a iron skillet with bacon grease. She lived to age 91.

Personally, I prefer yellow grits made from yellow hominy. Piggly-Wiggly is the only grocery store I know of that stocks yellow grits. DW limits my grits to one breakfast a week.

My mother made fried grit cakes frequently. She would make a pot of grits, pour it on a cookie sheet, let it cool and solidify, and then cut into squares and fry in a iron skillet with bacon grease. She lived to age 91.

Personally, I prefer yellow grits made from yellow hominy. Piggly-Wiggly is the only grocery store I know of that stocks yellow grits. DW limits my grits to one breakfast a week.

I'll have to look for the yellow grits. Oh, DH and I also limit grits to one breakfast a week. Tasty, but carbs galore. We're both working on losing some weight.

Down south: look for the yellow grits
Up north: look out for the yellow snow

Got it! :)

Dreamed I was an Eskimo, frozen wind began to blow....FZ

I just got back from New Orleans/Slidell. Born across the river from Portland, Oregon I always 'knew' that silly hat(I collect/collected ballcaps) was wrong -should be: Southern by birth. American by the grace of God.

So there! :D

After thirty years in New Orleans - I 'knew' south started somewhere out of town past Slidell?, Covington?, Metraire?

heh heh heh - How's yer Momma and dem? Yat(where are you at). I had to pass by Rouse's and make groceries for a big 5 oh birthday party. Dose peoples north of I-10 need to learnt ta talk rite. :rolleyes: :flowers:.

I just got back from New Orleans/Slidell. Born across the river from Portland, Oregon I always 'knew' that silly hat(I collect/collected ballcaps) was wrong -should be: Southern by birth. American by the grace of God.

So there! :D

After thirty years in New Orleans - I 'knew' south started somewhere out of town past Slidell?, Covington?, Metraire?

heh heh heh - How's yer Momma and dem? Yat(where are you at). I had to pass by Rouse's and make groceries for a big 5 oh birthday party. Dose peoples north of I-10 need to learnt ta talk rite. :rolleyes: :flowers:.

People live north of I-10? :LOL:

Just joking - - I have fuzzy memories of living north of I-10 myself, before I moved here in 1996.

If you're a subsistence farmer, as many were just a generation of two ago, you'd eat every part of the pig but the oink, as the saying goes. Either that or go hungry...

And the way to eat grits is to cook your eggs over easy/medium, then mash the eggs in with the grits. Add lots of salt and black pepper, and voila!

Or Vi-O-la, as we say down south...
I was on a business trip about 10 years ago and stopped on the way from DC to Richmond to eat breakfast and they served me a bowl of grits. I asked the elderly (looked about 85) black waitress how to eat them and she said, "put a pat of butter in the center, lots of salt and pepper, stir em up and then put em on everything as you eat a bite." I did that and they were maughty fine.

Funny but looks like not even a modern re-fighting of the "......War......" can interrupt a good ole grits discussion.

Last Christmas out visiting 50 miles West of Port Angeles Washington - I ate homemade Shrimp and Grits.

:D Niece married to a Marine (from Detroit) who learned after Parris Island and became hooked on the taste.

Shrimp, cheese , butter, a tad of salt - and if you like - some finely chopped green onion.

heh heh heh - I learned butter and grits back during my time in Huntsville, AL. And the BBQ there and Kansas City is way different than the Carolina version - which I like also. :cool:

Rats! Shame. Shame on me. I forgot the most important ingredient - BACON!

Please please don't toss me off the the forum for this unforgivable sin!

Last edited:
Rats! Shame. Shame on me. I forgot the most important ingredient - BACON!

Please please don't toss me off the the forum for this unforgivable sin!

Just chant "Hail Bacon" three times, and all will be forgiven.

I don't have much patience for those who talk down the south because of their participation in the Civil War. There was a whole lot more on the table besides the issue of slavery.

I've heard that the typical Confederate soldier did not own slaves. I'm pretty convinced most were fighting because their country had been invaded (it's well documented that "state" meant more than "country" back then, as evidenced by Gen. Lee's decision to fight for Virginia and hence the Confederacy).

This would also explain why the Confederates typically outfought the Union soldiers. It's well-known that an astonishingly high percentage of soldiers do not shoot to kill the enemy, our taboo against taking human life being so strong (our modern Armed Forces have recognized this and attempted to train it out of soldiers, sometimes with tragic consequences). It makes sense that soldiers fighting to defend their homeland would be less likely to hold back like this than those invading another's homeland. Just look at Vietnam, Iraq, etc.

That doesn't mean that slavery wasn't a huge issue for those who caused the war. But that's also typical, that the common soldier is fighting for the interests of the rich and powerful.

Back
Top Bottom