Claiming Your Wife's Inheritance After She's Dead

Interesting stuff. I checked my trust, and if either of my two children were to have kids and predecease my wife and I, then my trust would give them a share to be divided. However, its tied to blood, the spouse of my child would get nothing. Not a big issue as my kids are 7 & 4, but I guess if they have long and successful marriages I may change that one day.

I don't remember if this came up when the trust was put together. My father did the trust for me (his main line of work these days), and we did discuss a lot of different scenarios. I am fine with the current language.

This thread just goes to show how careful you need to be when drawing up a will, and how important it is to update it when there is a major change. Otherwise the end result may be quite different to what you intended. Unless it is an absolutely simple situation I would always get a lawyer's help.

My parents' wills specifically state that if a child of theirs passes before they pass, neither the child's spouse nor the child's children are entitled to any inheritance. We intend to do the same,
R

Why would you do this to grandkids? MIL passed after 1 sib had passed.
DW and other 2 sibs gave 25% to their sister's kids. Seemed fair to everyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom