Classic Cars

One other comment. A key word in the OP is "spending". You can certainly "spend" a lot of time working on classic cars but you'll likely be "spending" a lot of money too "depending" on the car(s) and particularly on the levels of restorations/customizations. It's been a hobby for me but I'd estimate just in the last five years, I've spent a lot more in real dollars than I could get back today based on "current" estimated resale values. (difference is probably between 150 and 200k). That's not counting or putting a value on my time/labor.

Especially true if you buy a bad car to restore and don't know what you are looking at. Had a friend that thought he was getting a great deal on a 67 Mustang that supposedly had a new 351 Windsor engine. Turned out the chassis and pan were badly rusted out and the lower side panels were filled with bondo. Motor was only a rebuilt 351 and it had a racing auto transmission unbeknownst to him. He spent $4500 and would probably need to spend $20-30K to make it into a street car. Now he is trying to sell it as is, but I suspect it can only be sold as a parts car, and its doubtful he will get his investment back.

anyone know how to troubleshoot convertible tops? :mad:

GTOs are one of my favorites, is that a ram air 3 or 4 car ?

I assume you may be referencing my 68 GTO I put picture up a couple pages back? Not a RA car, has the 400/350 hp base GTO engine. Still a strong engine, but not the RA which had different cam and heads with slightly bigger ports. My car has the Turbo 400 auto with the Hurst dual gate shifter in the console. Black interior that looks a lot like the interior pics stargazer posted, with a black vinyl top. Mine has P/S, P/B, A/C, and the hideaway headlights.

I've owned the GTO for 36.5 years now, with no intention to sell it anytime soon. My father actually bought the car new, and I got it when I was 16. Rebuilt the engine and repainted it when 16, it was a real nice car. It has followed me around the country in my various moves, but looking a big ragged now with the original vinyl top finally giving up with rips and tears, and the lacquer paint is all checked. Still runs and drives great though.

95 pontiac firehawk

went to take the top down this morning and about halfway through it made a nasty POP...kept going and it made another POP and then it wouldn't go down all the way, maybe 5" off where it should sit - it was fairly cold this morning, 45F, so I wonder if something got stuck - I tried taking it up and down 5 times did the same thing every time so I drove another car to work

95 pontiac firehawk

went to take the top down this morning and about halfway through it made a nasty POP...kept going and it made another POP and then it wouldn't go down all the way, maybe 5" off where it should sit - it was fairly cold this morning, 45F, so I wonder if something got stuck - I tried taking it up and down 5 times did the same thing every time so I drove another car to work

I don't know anything about rag tops. But, I do know that 45 degrees shouldn't be cold enough to have any adverse effects.

I know zilch about convertible tops, but the pops may have been worn gears skipping teeth.

How about this?

utgEQc9Wckeu1A7V_-9i1FVDmWKSWm_9S0Du2kKWNaqZtpTX-wwiJomCk2kSlBb1ebA2993VA0RVizhXZENnNkOs-idmyf5oBCZX3l1wTjZ9UXnVu8NB0ZhUzK1VfPH5tdO7oWbaw4lQJysoiSYOn3fGzss662Usig8RMmn5eskTIVY4lpkV_Cbxhg4iS9_Wu7xzm8Sl-nikkbyFaeqSm9nirCyxGTLpZvLBEX5ERQ_6nSnfljKGpJicR47d0QUiZ8wWpr1JUmmEjnmdi63wwFuVCYRfw8jhSgqO95JOEygBzgLl57EI16vZSjb6SpqJEcvt1OZmiYbyQ9753-5BptqhUYkzf0yTMSDh7swjEX_aVE5VCBoNZGIq7PxcSuejGYvfnF5bU9hRCAxeNFfdJ-87TuCDEVS26yI-VnJxrssNdaYMLGLkCy0S9TZZEO-VX-YrXInT_Kx3fSsKQLaPS1jUkajH8IraI3z-gYvVNNLjcF4Z5xtIrY7XxXgMjfjDZxHL7f4d4ur2VlcQis6Uq61yZB-zLpcCRi-vxUYE9d68eqJvkbKaULL2uD0UQqSGQr8Yaa3w8qVnKLEYaVRbMLEnuMC3pZFCdu2uDtjtq4SY69be=w1031-h773-no

And this?

eF7VlAio2TF5nHWgFh5-SUkaZ0hIoScvhu740PdTsd1aZ_7tpre1QM9hMHh7dNV8KBRzhtS7ZT3oSyEXuVVK6aHQolTLfo2JH4xnTwFaBKqFacbZk8zudJPMpHPXkw7o9eOq6aAylVOWNsk_tdWEVGZ-anGXMfWdwWneALURwUvngsPkS90yPWuJXOCbR9EXCS0BiB6PuFjZfuei2HNxlVaXyf9Tn_gun_cnGgiIOcKsrFm7pSPcpihhEyESgO86f4PYb85q3nZSp0CSpUDrPAgdeuKc8aN3VZ-1j-BuHHKRZw1bP2gsXqtfTVueyk5wNZDf6EJCN1zearfKmrioXedJaxqElx_l678tvWl-X4gAEgCgUwExi6sC37mISyFoK0a9jCbgSkJ6uPKPpkh0k8MqV8WF5SqcV15b5H9niJq2tMoCAf92s01E8O6hij_Mjj-8ADuEMle-xfYEfXgRJWjWyrXRnze8AXO2m3EZJaEwpfkBn5IqvbdPkBEFl4aAwA0SVnuqANwudZ31YTnhXpCDIIqDxTOXcZkzjPvNxrwwvG53VtCwPanWL4f83ZKgG7aiXsjcio7cIJ5mZE8rREj48oG6a2QmcVvVe2SUzPtH3rZz=w1031-h773-no

I know zilch about convertible tops, but the pops may have been worn gears skipping teeth.

there were two stabilizer bars that were bent. I'm going to have to get some fabbed since they no longer make that part.

Not a GTO fan, but always loved this color on goats and 442s:

Attachments

• GTO Picture.jpg
    GTO Picture.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom