Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Click Sound from Fridge when it comes on and when it goes off
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Click Sound from Fridge when it comes on and when it goes off

Hi,

I have a GE Hotpoint fridge in my kitchen, which is 26 years old. Been working great all this time.

Lately it has started to make a single click sound when the compressor kicks on, and again when it shuts off.

What is the click sound? Some component showing it's age?

I searched the net to no avail with this question.

Thanks,

JG III
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

Try this [FIXED] Compressor Clicking On and Off

Although you have an older unit it may be the start relay on the compressor
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
. . . Hotpoint fridge . . .

Some things make a person wonder.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #4

It might be a start relay, which energizes a "starter" winding in the compressor motor and then shuts that winding off after the motor spins up. I'd wait until it failed and in the meantime find out how much a replacement is and where to find it. If it was less than say $40 or so I'd plan on replacing it.

It might run fine for another 20 years or quit tomorrow. At 26 years I think you got your nickel's worth out of that refrigerator so I wouldn't be too upset at having to buy a new one.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses!

I did a quick search and there are relays for sale for GE fridges for $7.69 to $25 and up. I hope they still have the exact relay I (may) need for my old fridge. More investigating to do.

I'd like to keep this fridge as long as possible since they "don't make em like they used to" apparently.

JG III
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
gone traveling

We just replaced a refrigerator, I have kept it going through several problems the last couple of years by replacing a few components and eliminating some functions such as removing the leaking water filter, etc. (The plumbing within the frig used plastic piping with plastic fittings that failed that I had to replaced with brass fittings) The one problem that had symptoms similar to yours was caused by the defrost timer. The frig was running for the most part non stop in addition to icing up behind panels in the freezer causing inconsistent temperatures so through research and diagnostics determined that the defrost timer wasn't allowing the frig to defrost (every 7.5 hours) and run efficiently. This timer was located behind the toe kick and every time it cycled the mechanical switch made a clicking noise but it became noticeable because it became the switch that turned the frig on and off as opposed to the thermostat and starter relay. You would hear it click then the frig would come on or go off and so like Pavlov's dog every time I heard the click I listened for the compressor to cycle on/off. I installed the timer switch which corrected the icing problem but the frig continued to run pretty much non stop which lead to the real problem all along, the compressor was just about shot and the defrost timer had worn out(probably from acting as the start cycle relay all the time). It was a 14 year old Frigidaire Gallery that should have lasted longer (although the dealer said 13 years was sadly about the life span anymore) and yes I could have replaced/repaired the compressor but it just got to the point to say enough is enough and decided to get a new one. (The new one is extremely efficient but we are fighting with the water/ice in the door feature that is not quite up to spec but with a little tweaking...).
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote