Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never did anything even remotely illegal or immoral... 🤐

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Think I've told this story before. Lived a block from my elementary school that was built in 1908. 1st floor windows were locked, but if you could scale the brick & limestone to the second floor, windows were usually unlocked. Around this time they started CATV which was an educational thing where a plane flew around and broadcast educational stuff on a TV set up in the classroom. Teacher made mistake of saying you could also watch regular TV. So at night during the summer, I'd slip out my bedroom window and go to the school and watch Johnny Carson. They kept cartons of milk in a fridge in the basement for 1st graders (I think), cost a nickle. I'd always put my nickle in, take a carton of milk, go upstairs, pull the blinds, turn on the TV and watch Johnny. Was never caught and nobody ever suspected anything, but sure got me addicted to watching Johnny (the greatest TV night guy ever)!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I just remembered another way to enter and exit: DS was little for his age, and when he was ten he was a dog-walker/dog exerciser for the neighbors' four big dogs after school. No need for a window, he just scooted through the little pet door to get into their house.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #24

We were supposed to be inside after the streetlights came on but often I'd climb out the ground floor bedroom window and run around with friends, sometimes to the wee hours. No girlfriends went in or out though. My sisters were in the upstairs bedroom so they were "trapped" up there and couldn't get out without being seen.

I don't think my parents ever had any idea of what I was up to.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #25

I had a 2nd story bedroom - and would climb in/out... over the garage to a large pine tree.

I got busted one morning because I hadn't scrubbed all the pine sap off my hands.

Dad did a serious trimming of some key branches.

I'm still friends with one of my high school buddies and she's asked what I'm going to do to prevent my kids from doing the same. We've replaced the windows - which makes it harder... and the screens are long gone. Older son is in the one room with no path - just a sheer drop... so he's covered.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm still friends with one of my high school buddies and she's asked what I'm going to do to prevent my kids from doing the same. We've replaced the windows - which makes it harder... and the screens are long gone. Older son is in the one room with no path - just a sheer drop... so he's covered.
Never underestimate the willpower of a teenaged boy. My now adult sons take great delight in telling me all the stuff that went on during their high school years, on our lower patio and in our basement, while we slept soundly two floors above. OMG, I'm lucky they're both still alive. We feel like complete idiots.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

There are some great stories here. My assistant had a new 2 story house built about 15 years ago. We were talking house plans and she questioned which bedrooms she should give to her kids. I told that it was simple. The girl's room has to be the one with the window over the garage roof. The boy's room has to be one upstairs without an easy path from the window to the ground. Now that the son is going to college, it may be a good idea to move the teenage girl into her brother's old room.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago my ex's brother who was 22 at the time had just moved to a new house with his parents from the house he spent his entire life in. 2 or 3 days later he went out with his buddies and got hammered and was dropped off at the "old" house. The fact that he no longer lived there didn't register through the fog of alcohol. Of course, the key no longer fit as he now had a key for the new house, but likely the new owners had changed the locks anyway. That didn't phase him because he knew about the basement window that could be easily pried open. So, he pried open the basement window, crawled in, and promptly went to sleep on a couch. He was woken 10 minutes later by the cops as the new owners heard the noise and called the cops about an intruder. He spent the night in jail
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #29

As a side note, when I first read the title of this thread I was convinced you were going to ask for advice about whether or not to accept an early retirement window.
Seriously.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #30
Administrator

When I was in HS many fine adventures began and ended via the bedroom window.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Have fun!

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #32

I made regular use of my bedroom window. Also my girlfriend's window. Hormones! Make ya' do crazy things...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
As a side note, when I first read the title of this thread I was convinced you were going to ask for advice about whether or not to accept an early retirement window.
Seriously.
This is just so sad. Why don't we just keep it between us?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep. I was on the first floor though. The front of the house also had a window that never latched. About a year after my parents sold the house, my brother snuck in to see what they had changed. There were apparently a lot less piles as my dad was (still is) a hoarder.

(This wasn't in the mid-west).

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote