Closing Gates in a Gated Community?

Still the gates slow them down a lot, and I wonder if all have sensors ?

Plus, you better never have a heart attack during a power failure. :(
Fire trucks could just ram the gate during a power failure, but I don't know if that is their protocol and perhaps only if they can see the flames so they know it's not a false alarm?

I don't think all have sensors. But from what I've read, the system in our town is tied to the system in emergency vehicles that preempts traffic signals. So enroute, they can control traffic signals and open the entrance gate. Very slick.

I vaguely remember that the systems have back up batteries.

I worked on the design of a residential development once where there were questions whether our culdesac roadway design would facilitate emergency response. To prove it, we laid out our culdesac design in a large parking lot, and had their largest fire truck try it out. It worked out ok - but the firemen really didn't care too much about the details- they told me that they run down gates, mailboxes, etc - whatever it takes to get to the fire.

Our delivery people like UPS know the gate code, although a new person usually has to learn it. The gates close at 5pm, so delivery folks do end up needing to know it.

There is an emergency gate code that various law enforcement and emergency personnel know, although people also give it when calling due to an emergency.. Border patrol is the one that uses it most often. They even have their own lock on the rear construction gate so they can enter the community from two sides if needed. We used to have to give the code to them fairly often, but now it seems to be part of their dispatch info.

If there is a power failure the gates open.

The gates are open about 8 to 5 during the day. We are not on a major traffic route.

There is an emergency gate code that various law enforcement and emergency personnel know, although people also give it when calling due to an emergency.. Border patrol is the one that uses it most often. They even have their own lock on the rear construction gate so they can enter the community from two sides if needed. We used to have to give the code to them fairly often, but now it seems to be part of their dispatch info.

If there is a power failure the gates open.

When we installed a gate in our small community, I believe that a special sensor setup for emergency vehicles was required by law. And yes, our gate has battery backup so that in the event of a power failure, the gate will automatically open and stay open. But we also found out that the battery doesn't last for ever and when it fails the gate may not open. Fortunately, it is easy to manually open the gates from inside the complex and we've trained numerous folks in the complex to be able to do that if needed.

I just talked to a friend that is involved in student transportation in my area, all of the students are picked up outside of the gates at gated communities. Although he said most of the GC's in the area are 55+ so they don't really have much of an issue.

I had a relative who lived in a "gated community". Of course the gate opened automatically when a car pulled up and sat there for a few seconds. It even had a gatehouse - empty.

I assume it was for looks? I suppose it would discourage a few people from trying to get in if they thought it was a real gate. Or at least slow down their getaway...

That's the best way to do it. No codes, just sit there.

The bad guys will think the cars all have transponders in them.

This is what is known as a first world problem. There may be gated communities around here somewhere, but I've never seen one.

I'm sure that keeping that 55+ crowd locked in there has some pretty big benefits for the surrounding community too... :)

No worries, they just ride around the gate on their 3-wheelers :LOL:

This is what is known as a first world problem. There may be gated communities around here somewhere, but I've never seen one.

In lots of non first world countries they live in gated houses surrounded by high walls.

In lots of non first world countries they live in gated houses surrounded by high walls.
I have seen them in South America, but as I recall, each separate house had a wall and a gate.

I'm on the board and in charge of the gates in my community. We've had to reset codes a few times and the major delivery guys find the new code in no time. Yes, a few new drivers have issues some times, but I would not worry about UPS and FedEx. Also, the pizza guys seem to figure it out faster than anybody.
The automatic "Yelp" sensors for the emergency vehicles seem to be very finicky. We haven't had good luck, (they will usually gently push the gate open if they can't get in).

I have seen them in South America, but as I recall, each separate house had a wall and a gate.
Very common in Mexican cities. Mexico city - high wall, broken glass or razor wire on top, super heavy wood or metal door in wall. You can't see inside the wall unless the door is open. You drive down walled streets in neighborhoods.

They are shocked when they come to the US and see neighborhoods with open lawns and just the back fenced.

Last edited:
In my sister's gated community the gates were open during the day, but closed at dark... after that you needed the keypad code.

Yeah, you need a cadre of rough looking men with fully automatic weapons and a few RPG's stashed in case of "trouble"

I like ungated.

Yeah, you need a cadre of rough looking men with fully automatic weapons and a few RPG's stashed in case of "trouble"

I like ungated.
I think you watch too many movies :)

Many old Mexican cities built in the 16th century have walls around each city block. But there are plenty of newer areas with more open design. No correlation to crime or lack of it.

I am not sure about other parts of the country, in Texas gated communities are not uncommon, but certainly not the norm. My development is not particularly upscale, as most homes are in the $400-500K range, patio style < 3500 ft2 with small lots. The good thing is the yard work is included in the HOA fee which was a major benefit as part of our downsizing.

Back
Top Bottom