Join Early Retirement Today

Closing Gates in a Gated Community?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #1
gone traveling

Closing Gates in a Gated Community?

My development has been under construction for several years and is nearing buildout. During that period, we left our entry way gate open during daylight hours, but now want to close it during the day. Its not a manned entrance, but has a call box and programmable timer. I am trying to help the HOA Manager setup the process for dealing with deliveries, school buses, etc that will need access during the day. Can anyone with experience comment on how your community handled this? I've already talked to the school system and have identified bus route times which we can program for, but USPS, UPS/FedEx, and those types of every day deliveries will need a simple but effective workaround and I have not yet spoken to any of those carriers.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Our gates have keypads outside of the gates. Ups, mail, have a gate code that they type in and the gate opens.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Our gates have keypads outside of the gates. Ups, mail, have a gate code that they type in and the gate opens.
+1. Our old development had unmanned gate but daily delivery personnel, hoa's landscapers, etc. were given a gate code. All others had to be rung in by whomever they were coming to visit.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
gone traveling

Yes, we have a keypad/call box as well and can provide a code, but I was wondering whether these delivery companies will accept working with a code. I know sometimes when ordering things you can specify delivery instructions where a code could be provided, but was unsure whether it is possible to setup a permanent code with UPS, FedEx, and DHL. I am going to reach out to the local postmaster today, but was uncertain if they are willing to deal with a callbox that is on the other side of their trucks.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does you system allow multiple entry combinations?

In other words, have one combination for UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc and another combination for the USPS?

Log the data into a system.

Also have a video camera recording all of this.

The 55+ communities near us are gated. The main gate is manned. The side gate is keypad.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Does you system allow multiple entry combinations?

In other words, have one combination for UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc and another combination for the USPS?

Log the data into a system.

Also have a video camera recording all of this.

The 55+ communities near us are gated. The main gate is manned. The side gate is keypad.
Individual codes can be accommodated, but there is no video monitoring. Setting up codes is not the issue, but what I am unsure about is how receptive the carriers are to implementing a code with their drivers.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Individual codes can be accommodated, but there is no video monitoring. Setting up codes is not the issue, but what I am unsure about is how receptive the carriers are to implementing a code with their drivers.
What is the point of having a gated community if you are not able to get the carriers to comply?
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how big the community is but if it's big enough, and you really want the security, could you afford to man the gate "during the day" with a rent a cop? Paid for with HOA dues.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
What is the point of having a gated community if you are not able to get the carriers to comply?
I do not know whether the carriers will comply or not, just trying to hear from others that have been through this. Unfortunately, the HOA Manager, is moving slowly, so I'm just trying help speed up implementation. If gates can't be closed due to non-compliance it would certainly limit the purpose of gating, at least during the day time hours. I am hoping it does not come to that.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Not sure how big the community is but if it's big enough, and you really want the security, could you afford to man the gate "during the day" with a rent a cop? Paid for with HOA dues.
Its only about 106 homes, and our fees are already high, so not likely we would implement that for two entrances.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yellow sticky note with the code on it stuck to the side of the keypad.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yellow sticky note with the code on it stuck to the side of the keypad.
What could go wrong?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #13

never had an issue with delivery or carriers complying. There are so many gated communities around here all are used to it. Most mailboxes are inside the gates in a central area so if they don't go in they are not going to be able to deliver the mail. You also usually have to provide police/fire/ambulance with a code so they can get in without ramming the gate.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Well, your community can't afford a rent-a-cop at the gate, and people aren't going to be one bit happy with no UPS deliveries and so on.

So there are two possible solutions that I can think of.

The first is to give UPS, the USPS, Fedex, and other delivery services the gate code just like you give it to emergency services like police and fire.

The second is to put the gates on a timer so that they automatically open and stay open during the daytime, and close at night unless people have the entry code. That's what they did at the gated apartments where I used to live 2000-2002. I think they were closed from 9 PM to 6 AM only.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #15

We have a keypad at our gate. Numbers are given out to residents and services. Also, they have a number that residents can give out, that changes monthly. This doesn't stop all crime, though it makes it a bit of a hassle to get in overnight, unless you have a number. The main benefit (besides snootiness factor) is it can stop solicitors. Occasionally the police are called, since it is enforceable if the gate is closed.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #16
Administrator

Keep in mind that gates are not only about crime. They also restrict the access of non-residential traffic, which leads to improved safety of the community residents (especially the children and seniors) and fewer solicitations.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The first is to give UPS, the USPS, Fedex, and other delivery services the gate code just like you give it to emergency services like police and fire.

Some gates have sensors that automatically open for police sand fire
Old 02-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
gone traveling

I talked to the school system and USPS and have resolved dealing with those two entities. Now it just comes down to UPS/FedEx/DHL and the trash/recycling pickup. I hope the HOA Manager will follow-up with them, but unfortunately she has been clueless of how to implement, so I may need to continue to pursue. Our gates do automatically close at night and open in the morning. The residents have been concerned about some package thefts that occurred over the holidays but also in keeping solicitors and unwanted traffic out of our neighborhood.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I never thought of the bad side to the gates...

The ambulance comes up to the gate, and the driver stops, grabs the code book from the glove box and looks up the code by the address for your gate, punches it in.
All while you are bleeding out, or clutching your chest, hoping the code works, it was written down correctly, writing is legible, etc.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I never thought of the bad side to the gates...

The ambulance comes up to the gate, and the driver stops, grabs the code book from the glove box and looks up the code by the address for your gate, punches it in.
All while you are bleeding out, or clutching your chest, hoping the code works, it was written down correctly, writing is legible, etc.

And that's why they have sensors that let them in automatically