Clothes make the man

HaHa said:
Hey, give him some space on this too- after all he is just trying to single-handedly and with no little sacrifice shove a new generation of Arkies a bit to the right on the bell curve.

Maybe 100 years from now, they'll all be GS 13s, and Az will have his statue on the statehouse lawn. :)

Ha

OK, now you are scaring me.

Won't they all want their own statues?

If you want to show off with your spendiness, why bother with a Movado?  How about a Rolex, or even a real watch like a Breitling, Cartier, or Jaeger-Lecoulter?

A silver chain?  You might as well just wrap some tinfoil around your neck (at least it will match the helmet).  Even gold is, well, I'd best not say.  How about platinum?

Might not look so good with the tin can Honda, though.

You're missing the point, Brewer. Where i live, said watches would more than create the effect i want. Overkilling only accomplishes wasting money.

Regarding the Honda comment, the moment that honda is actually attached to me everywhere i might run into women, i'll begin to worry about it being something like a Beamer instead. Until them, I think i'll save the 15K or so to spend on something else. I'm not into the ole drive around town, and do the nod up thing with my head. I'm more a one-on-one person, out of the car, face-to-face. The car's safely hidden in the parking lot.

Azanon

Azanon said:
You're missing the point, Brewer.  Where i live, said watches would more than create the effect i want.  Overkilling only accomplishes wasting money.

Regarding the Honda comment, the moment that honda is actually attached to me everywhere i might run into women, i'll begin to worry about it being something like a Beamer instead.  Until them, I think i'll save the 15K or so to spend on something else.  I'm not into the ole drive around town, and do the nod up thing with my head.  I'm more a one-on-one person, out of the car, face-to-face.   The car's safely hidden in the parking lot. 

Azanon

Sorry, I'm not accomplished at the whole would-be philanderer thing the way you clearly are. I defer to your expertise. I was making comments purely on the basis of the obnoxious displays of wealth I see on a daily basis.

Hmmm, maybe it is because he is so concerned with impressing women other than his wife with his serial killer fashion choices?

Just hilarious.   I assure you my wife is very happy; i wouldnt have it any other way.  

Serial killer fashion it may or may not be, but I think i have a decent handle on what is attractive.

Sorry, I'm not accomplished at the whole would-be philanderer thing the way you clearly are. I defer to your expertise. I was making comments purely on the basis of the obnoxious displays of wealth I see on a daily basis.

I have no intentions of overstating my look. In the spirit of the thread, i just volunteered my approach to dress and the look i'm aiming for. I realize its hard for you to just let any post i make go without following it up with some kind of attack.

Azanon

Azanon said:
I have no intentions of overstating my look.   In the spirit of the thread, i just volunteered my approach to dress and the look i'm aiming for.   I realize its hard for you to just let any post i make go without following it up with some kind of attack.

Azanon

Nah, if I were attacking you, my post would be half blacked out with obscenities. I'm just toying with you and amusing myself by seeing exactly how important your appearance is to you. Since I don't much care about mine (and never have), its kind of like seeing a Natl Geographic film on the customs of the natives in some far-away land.

On style vs. substance questions, age tends to be a significant factor in determining people's views. Someone should run a poll that measures the emphasis posters put on their appearance a function of their age. :)

Somebody posted something on this site along the lines of...

When you are in your 20's and 30's you are very concerned about looking right and what other people might think about you.

When you hit your 40's you stop caring so much what people think.

When you hit your 60's you realize that nobody was watching anyhow.

Nah, if I were attacking you, my post would be half blacked out with obscenities. I'm just toying with you and amusing myself by seeing exactly how important your appearance is to you.

I'm guessing he doesn't realize this is an attack either.

When you hit your 60's you realize that nobody was watching anyhow.

That had a catchy ring to it, but just for clarification, just dressing nice and taking no action won't get you very far, i agree. I said this in so many words earlier in the thread.

REWahoo! said:
I'm in the same boat as Kinky Friedman: "I'm too young for Medicare and too old for women to care."
Ah memories. I saw "Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys" in New York and then caught him with a different band name as I remember it when I lived in Houston. Did you know that he wrote a few detective novels? Not bad, if I remember right.

To get back on thread, Kinky dressed in the typical wierd fashion of the day back then.

Hmmm

Yesterday Home Depot had their clothes display in one of the lumber isles: - I was especially attracted to the orangy/sort of tan winter lined duck canvas bib coveralls. With heavy duck canvas matching coats.

Still haven't seen white fisherman's boots anywhere - just the higher topped farm variety - mostly black.

Have to nip over to Tractor Supply to check out the latest fashions - to go 'styling' this winter.

heh heh heh heh heh - I've got to remember I'm unattached again.

HFWR said:
Summer: shorts (denim usually), tees, polos, flip-flops or "running" shoes
Winter: jeans, rugby shirts, running shoes
Bad hair day: cap
Summer: surf shorts, tank top, rubbah slippas
Winter: surf shorts, t-shirt, rubbah slippas
Bad hair day: surfing.

BunsOfVeal said:
That may be great for you lucky ERs or married folks who no longer need to pay a lot of attention to your looks. After all, there is no WSJ article on the latest fashion for vision quests and for posting on ER forums. However, for us slaves who still need to run around in the world, we still need to maintain our outward appearance. It's one kind of the grease that eases our way.
I'd rather that my attire reflect my values than my net worth. Same for my transportation and my divewristwatch, if I bother to wear one.

As for business attire, is it really a good idea to look better than your audience? There may be some social engineering value to having people look at you and thinking "Hunh, maybe they really need our business!" My neighbor cleans carpets, and he's learned not to drive up to client sites in his Lotus Triumph...

unclemick2 said:
Hmmm

Yesterday Home Depot had their clothes display in one of the lumber isles: - I was especially attracted to the orangy/sort of tan winter lined duck canvas bib coveralls. With heavy duck canvas matching coats.

Still haven't seen white fisherman's boots anywhere - just the higher topped farm variety - mostly black.

Have to nip over to Tractor Supply to check out the latest fashions - to go 'styling' this winter.

heh heh heh heh heh - I've got to remember I'm unattached again.

Hi, unclemick!  Reading this thread has led to the idea that maybe we can have an ER Calendar Men with yours and the other guys' stylin' attires! 

I just saw the movie Calendar Girls this week and really enjoyed it.  Of course, I'm thinking you men should all keep your clothes on, though. 

Maybe funds raised can be given to dory36 for support of the site.  They might be more than what we all pay in for the year.

Here are 12 concepts from the thread so far (one for each month!):
- Basic Hobo
- European Serial Killer
- Lumberjack in Duck
- Sumo Muffin
- Schizoid Preppie
- American Psycho
- Movado Metro(sexual)
- Surfin' Stylin'
- Pantless Casual, hmmm change that to Peek-a-boo Casual
- Ascot Dandy
- Kooky Kinky
- Bling Bling Daddy

Ahh, I wish I were a better photographer.  I'd volunteer for the job.

Only problem is that most of us probably only qualify for "basic hobo", unless you want us to wear costumes. But that could get a little "Village People"... O0

Yes, costumes would work.

After all, we can't have a calendar of mostly just Az, although he might love the attention from all the women calendar purchasers...

(Just teasin', Azanon.)

Back
Top Bottom