Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

CMOH recipient Sgt Dakota Myer
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CMOH recipient Sgt Dakota Myer

President Obama awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor to Sgt Dakota Myer today. Neither his citation nor the media coverage doesn't really do justice to this man's courage.

However, this great except from book, published in Leatherneck does convey why this is worthy of two medal of honors.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A truly exceptional story, 100% worthy of the honor. Thanks for posting.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quite a story. Semper Fi Dakota!

BTW, I believe that it's referred to as MOH, not CMOH, since the President awards it, not Congress. No matter, it's well deserved.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
A better man than I.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A better man than I.

More news on Sgt. Meyers

It seems he has always wanted NY firefighter, but missed the deadline for applying. The rest of the story is pretty interesting.

What character this young Marine has.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The recent 60 Minutes story and interview was inspirational.

Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer on "60 Minutes" - CBS News.

I forwarded the Leatherneck and 60 Minutes articles to a young man I know who flew Kiowa helicopters in Iraq and Afghanistan. As expected, he praised Meyer's bravery, giving an Army's vet's most respectful praise of Meyer as "one tough marine".

His other reaction surprised me at first, but made sense after some reflection. He expressed sadness for the soldiers and officers reprimanded for the control center tactical decisions that led to Meyer's brave actions, saying he knew those decisions would be an emotional weight they would carry for a lifetime.

Made me realize those of us who haven't been to war will never really know what it's like...
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
His other reaction surprised me at first, but made sense after some reflection. He expressed sadness for the soldiers and officers reprimanded for the control center tactical decisions that led to Meyer's brave actions, saying he knew those decisions would be an emotional weight they would carry for a lifetime.
Made me realize those of us who haven't been to war will never really know what it's like...
Actually the people in control centers who tend to make those types of decisions rarely feel any emotional weight or personal involvement with their counterparts who are in jeopardy.

It's why they make those incomprehensible decisions in the first place.

When I was on submarine sea duty I had a blissfully ignorant warm & fuzzy feeling that the guys on the shore staffs spent all of their time looking out for us. Later when I actually became one of "them" on a shore staff, I realized you had to be careful with about 5-10% of the staff who saw the rules and the policies as more important than a bunch of fungible people on little submarine icons that could be moved around on charts like Monopoly pieces. Those staff types were not very good at putting themselves in the position of the people they were supporting and asking "What would I want the staff to do for this boat right now?"

But they were very good at quoting the latest rules, requirements, "what you have to understand", and "what we need you to do for us" attitudes.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
Administrator

And the good news keeps coming

Maxim Hires Medal of Honor Recipient as Military Adviser - The Hollywood Reporter
Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

On NBC the presented this as "He disobeyed orders and saved his fellow soldiers. "

Is that right?

If that's true, isn't it a bad idea to give a medal for something that involves disobeying orders?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
On NBC the presented this as "He disobeyed orders and saved his fellow soldiers. "

Is that right?

If that's true, isn't it a bad idea to give a medal for something that involves disobeying orders?
I think you had to be there Al...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Maxim has a military adviser, who knew. . I hope he gets to judge the hottest woman in (and out) of uniform issue. It certainly sounds like more fun job than being a firefighter.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think you had to be there Al...
It is far from uncommon to give medals and even some promotions for disobeying orders. Still the overarching rule in the Marines is to help out your fellow soldiers.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
On NBC the presented this as "He disobeyed orders and saved his fellow soldiers."
What every other Marine heard was "He disobeyed orders and got selected as a Maxim adviser!!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm no MOH winner, but I do disobey orders regularly. Wonder if he needs an assistant at Maxim...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote