CNN Money says "Drive your car to death!"

We have a couple of Fords (1990 and 1996) and plan to keep for awhile....the 1990 is a second and am also in the camp of probably never getting to 200k...

from a reliability standpoint i wont own a car more than 4 years anymore. just the hassle of getting stuck is reason enough for me to get rid of it. the best most reliable years are the first 4

I wonder whether our opinions on how long a car will be reliable are based on older, outdated information. When I was growing up, a car that lasted 100,000 miles was unusual. Most American cars had odometers that only went to 99,000 miles.

Broken down cars on the side of the road were not uncommon. "Car won't start" was a common occurrence.

But our Echo has 120K, and feels new. It has never failed to start up right away, and has never broken down.

I think the "scared my car will break down right where lots of thugs out to hurt me" excuse is just that. If you get bored with cars and it's worth it to you, by all means buy a new car! Our '02 Jeep GC has 85k on it and we plan on hitting 200k, then getting a minivan for the litter of kittles.

My Volvo has 35k on it and I hope to keep in for 300k like my step dad kept his. If you change the oil on time and get regular tune ups, most cars will run just about forever. When the compression starts to fail, you can get the cylinders refitted with sleeves to get some more life out of the car. My buddy at work has done that twice with his '80 Blazer, I think he's at half a million miles at this point.

...gotta love SoCal driving. :p

Our '93 Honda has 211,000 miles on it, still runs great (doesn't look so great--two family members have dented it--but that's all cosmetic!).

We'll see how long we keep it--if it stays reliable, we're likely to for some time. Might see if we can do 300,000

I think the "scared my car will break down right where lots of thugs out to hurt me" excuse is just that. If you get bored with cars and it's worth it to you, by all means buy a new car! Our '02 Jeep GC has 85k on it and we plan on hitting 200k, then getting a minivan for the litter of kittles.

My Volvo has 35k on it and I hope to keep in for 300k like my step dad kept his. If you change the oil on time and get regular tune ups, most cars will run just about forever. When the compression starts to fail, you can get the cylinders refitted with sleeves to get some more life out of the car. My buddy at work has done that twice with his '80 Blazer, I think he's at half a million miles at this point.

...gotta love SoCal driving. :p

my volvo was the worst car i ever owned. in fact i think in the 8 years i owned it the only thing i didnt replace was the glove compartment door. that car was the main reason i never wanted to own a vehicle more than 4 years.

hope you have better luck than i did.

Well, I'm doing my job to keep all the auto manufacturers and parts suppliers in business.

Just replaced my Subaru Outback (1996) which had 225,000 miles on it. I hope to keep my new car that long or longer.. My friends kept asking "are you still driving that Subaru" ? Finally reached a point where the repairs required would be greater than the value of the car.

Buncha rookies! I passed the 375k mark on my 1988 GMC Jimmy (bought with 22 on the odometer) and it was still running when I sold it in 1998 or so with just about 390k on it! The last new car I'll ever own!

Now the Saturns (1996 and 1997) have 145k and 240k miles on them. They are no less reliable than your new cars--BTW, we spend a lot less on parts than most folks do on comprehensive insurance.

I snorted when I saw that CR mentioned only imports in their list of long-lived cars. We don't necessarily have lots o' miles as a goal with our cars, but it just works out that way. The Saturns were $2000 and $3500 and look like they'll keep going a while longer.

I figured out a few years ago that the cost of doing cars like we do instead of new ones worked out to asavings of about $90k over the course of 10 years, including the car payments, higher taxes and insurance, and so forth of two old cars versus two new ones.

Sarah

This is less important than it used to be, assuming you have a cell phone in the car.

It's important for me... I can't use cell phones except for the text msgs and I don't think that will help me much in an emergency situation.

Buncha rookies! I passed the 375k mark on my 1988 GMC Jimmy (bought with 22 on the odometer) and it was still running when I sold it in 1998 or so with just about 390k on it! The last new car I'll ever own!

Now the Saturns (1996 and 1997) have 145k and 240k miles on them. They are no less reliable than your new cars--BTW, we spend a lot less on parts than most folks do on comprehensive insurance.

I snorted when I saw that CR mentioned only imports in their list of long-lived cars. We don't necessarily have lots o' miles as a goal with our cars, but it just works out that way. The Saturns were $2000 and $3500 and look like they'll keep going a while longer.

I figured out a few years ago that the cost of doing cars like we do instead of new ones worked out to asavings of about $90k over the course of 10 years, including the car payments, higher taxes and insurance, and so forth of two old cars versus two new ones.

Sarah

You should see if GM will buy back your Saturns to see what they did right. Most Saturns I have seen are lucky to get to 100K........:D

Putting it another way, how many OLD IMPORTS do you see versus OLD DOMESTICS? I would say the ratio is about 8 or 9 to 1............:D

94 honda civic - 83,000 mi

got it used in 2002. some days it'd be nice to have a little stronger engine and a better a/c. love the new altimas, but considering i take public transportation to work, i can't bring myself to spend the money (price of a new car and higher insurance)

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler without a ton of miles yet. I do plan on driving it until it falls apart around me.

Putting it another way, how many OLD IMPORTS do you see versus OLD DOMESTICS? I would say the ratio is about 8 or 9 to 1............:D

Likely to be a bit skewed by the overwhelming popularity of imports around me, but what I see the most of is elderly domestic trucks of nearly every description.

FD, I see tons of old domestics. Cars and trucks.
But mine is the only one in the parking lot where I work! :)
You'll find plenty of folks with old Saturns on the saturnfans forum.
And need I remind you that the 2007 Car of the Year is a Saturn.

Any fool can just buy new cars, but it takes the right kind of person to maintain older cars--us Southern girls find that kind of man, well, sexy! :)

I'll never forget the guy I went on a date with in high school who casually mentioned that he took his car in for an oil change. We didn't go out again. A handy man is a real man! :)

I am about to hit the 4 year mark on my 2003 Honda Element, at which time I will also hit 25K miles. I was originally planning to keep it for 10 years, but with the low mileage I am putting on there, I hope to keep it a lot longer than that. Still, my ~6k miles per year is nothing compared to some of you. 3k miles per year? That is impressive!

Also, my brother-in-law had a Nissan Pathfinder for about 15 years and finally sold it when it had about 200k-250k miles on it. It was still doing fine, but it was a 2-door, which didn't work so well with getting carseats in and out.

It's important for me... I can't use cell phones except for the text msgs and I don't think that will help me much in an emergency situation.

HLP IM BRKN DOWN AND I DNT NO WR THE FK I AM

And need I remind you that the 2007 Car of the Year is a Saturn.

I know........:confused:, we'll see how the 3-year reliability studies are for it, much like the Ford Fusin. My neighbor has a new Aura, and it's been in the shop 4 times in the first 12,000 miles........:eek:

Remember, both the Chysler Cirrus and Renault Alliance were cars of the year too.........that didn't end up well either............:D

I am about to hit the 4 year mark on my 2003 Honda Element, at which time I will also hit 25K miles. I was originally planning to keep it for 10 years, but with the low mileage I am putting on there, I hope to keep it a lot longer than that. Still, my ~6k miles per year is nothing compared to some of you. 3k miles per year? That is impressive!

Also, my brother-in-law had a Nissan Pathfinder for about 15 years and finally sold it when it had about 200k-250k miles on it. It was still doing fine, but it was a 2-door, which didn't work so well with getting carseats in and out.

Imports, imports.........:)

my volvo was the worst car i ever owned. in fact i think in the 8 years i owned it the only thing i didnt replace was the glove compartment door. that car was the main reason i never wanted to own a vehicle more than 4 years.

hope you have better luck than i did.

Sounds like you got a lemon. Like I did with my VW. Notice how many Volvo station wagons with college parking stickers on the back still frequent the roads? DW was driving one when I met her. It was well north of 200k and stupid me, I said let's get rid of it for a new car. Spent far more repairing that replacement than we ever did on the Volvo.

But most cars made today, if taken car of, will give you 200k easy. Even economy cars have air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc. Aren't you driving a BMW now? If that's the case, I would stick to your policy of trading in every 4 years, or whenever the warranty is about to expire. Aren't oil changes $100? ;)

Don't make me have to drown you when we go out on the boat, FD! :)

I'm hopelessly buy American, comes from working on the family farm. Knee jerk reaction--don't get me started talking about imported shrimp!

Just because you couldn't keep your domestics running... :)

Don't make me have to drown you when we go out on the boat, FD! :)

I'm hopelessly buy American, comes from working on the family farm. Knee jerk reaction--don't get me started talking about imported shrimp!

Just because you couldn't keep your domestics running... :)

But what does it mean to "Buy American" in the context of buying a car? The Honda Element is made in East Liberty, Ohio. Is it import or domestic? Similarly, the Pontiac Aztec is made in Mexico. Import or domestic? And Volvo is owned by Ford Motor Company (along with Land Rover and Jaguar). Am I really buying a Ford when I buy a Volvo?

But what does it mean to "Buy American" in the context of buying a car? The Honda Element is made in East Liberty, Ohio. Is it import or domestic? Similarly, the Pontiac Aztec is made in Mexico. Import or domestic? And Volvo is owned by Ford Motor Company (along with Land Rover and Jaguar). Am I really buying a Ford when I buy a Volvo?

My subaru was made in indiana and my honda was made in Canada. My old ford wagon was made in the us, but had a japanese transmission. Domestic vs. import is effectively meaningless, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom