Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

1993 coupe deville 43000 when I bought it $5300 now has 49000 2 yrs later our second car
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My old car was a 1990 Honda Civic that I bought new. Sold it to a college kid in the neighborhood in 2002 when it hit 250,000 miles. My friends used to give me a lot of grief about being such a cheapskate.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The thing is, there is a value to be attached to having a car that's reliable and not likely to break down in the middle of nowhere at night.
This is less important than it used to be, assuming you have a cell phone in the car.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Up to 103k on a 4.5 YO subaru. Just put in an oxygen sensor at $400, which is the first major maintenance item aside from the usual wear parts (brakes, tires, etc.). At this rate, I'll be over 200k in 3 years.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I buy a new car every 10 years whether I need it or not. I figure I would like to have the variety of owning 7 cars over a lifetime.

Age 16-26: 1976 Vega +/- 80,000 mi
(year borrowing dad's car)
Age 27-37: 1988 Toyota Tercel +/- 65,000
Age 37-46: 1997 Rav4 120,000
Age 47 - ?? 1995 Xterra

I sold the Tercel to a friend, and still see him driving it, sure it's over 200,000 by now.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #26

We have a couple of Fords (1990 and 1996) and plan to keep for awhile....the 1990 is a second and am also in the camp of probably never getting to 200k...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

from a reliability standpoint i wont own a car more than 4 years anymore. just the hassle of getting stuck is reason enough for me to get rid of it. the best most reliable years are the first 4
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I wonder whether our opinions on how long a car will be reliable are based on older, outdated information. When I was growing up, a car that lasted 100,000 miles was unusual. Most American cars had odometers that only went to 99,000 miles.

Broken down cars on the side of the road were not uncommon. "Car won't start" was a common occurrence.

But our Echo has 120K, and feels new. It has never failed to start up right away, and has never broken down.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I think the "scared my car will break down right where lots of thugs out to hurt me" excuse is just that. If you get bored with cars and it's worth it to you, by all means buy a new car! Our '02 Jeep GC has 85k on it and we plan on hitting 200k, then getting a minivan for the litter of kittles.

My Volvo has 35k on it and I hope to keep in for 300k like my step dad kept his. If you change the oil on time and get regular tune ups, most cars will run just about forever. When the compression starts to fail, you can get the cylinders refitted with sleeves to get some more life out of the car. My buddy at work has done that twice with his '80 Blazer, I think he's at half a million miles at this point.

...gotta love SoCal driving.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our '93 Honda has 211,000 miles on it, still runs great (doesn't look so great--two family members have dented it--but that's all cosmetic!).

We'll see how long we keep it--if it stays reliable, we're likely to for some time. Might see if we can do 300,000
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I think the "scared my car will break down right where lots of thugs out to hurt me" excuse is just that. If you get bored with cars and it's worth it to you, by all means buy a new car! Our '02 Jeep GC has 85k on it and we plan on hitting 200k, then getting a minivan for the litter of kittles.

My Volvo has 35k on it and I hope to keep in for 300k like my step dad kept his. If you change the oil on time and get regular tune ups, most cars will run just about forever. When the compression starts to fail, you can get the cylinders refitted with sleeves to get some more life out of the car. My buddy at work has done that twice with his '80 Blazer, I think he's at half a million miles at this point.

...gotta love SoCal driving.
my volvo was the worst car i ever owned. in fact i think in the 8 years i owned it the only thing i didnt replace was the glove compartment door. that car was the main reason i never wanted to own a vehicle more than 4 years.

hope you have better luck than i did.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 AM   #32

Well, I'm doing my job to keep all the auto manufacturers and parts suppliers in business.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Just replaced my Subaru Outback (1996) which had 225,000 miles on it. I hope to keep my new car that long or longer.. My friends kept asking "are you still driving that Subaru" ? Finally reached a point where the repairs required would be greater than the value of the car.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Buncha rookies! I passed the 375k mark on my 1988 GMC Jimmy (bought with 22 on the odometer) and it was still running when I sold it in 1998 or so with just about 390k on it! The last new car I'll ever own!

Now the Saturns (1996 and 1997) have 145k and 240k miles on them. They are no less reliable than your new cars--BTW, we spend a lot less on parts than most folks do on comprehensive insurance.

I snorted when I saw that CR mentioned only imports in their list of long-lived cars. We don't necessarily have lots o' miles as a goal with our cars, but it just works out that way. The Saturns were $2000 and $3500 and look like they'll keep going a while longer.

I figured out a few years ago that the cost of doing cars like we do instead of new ones worked out to asavings of about $90k over the course of 10 years, including the car payments, higher taxes and insurance, and so forth of two old cars versus two new ones.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is less important than it used to be, assuming you have a cell phone in the car.
It's important for me... I can't use cell phones except for the text msgs and I don't think that will help me much in an emergency situation.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Buncha rookies! I passed the 375k mark on my 1988 GMC Jimmy (bought with 22 on the odometer) and it was still running when I sold it in 1998 or so with just about 390k on it! The last new car I'll ever own!

Now the Saturns (1996 and 1997) have 145k and 240k miles on them. They are no less reliable than your new cars--BTW, we spend a lot less on parts than most folks do on comprehensive insurance.

I snorted when I saw that CR mentioned only imports in their list of long-lived cars. We don't necessarily have lots o' miles as a goal with our cars, but it just works out that way. The Saturns were $2000 and $3500 and look like they'll keep going a while longer.

I figured out a few years ago that the cost of doing cars like we do instead of new ones worked out to asavings of about $90k over the course of 10 years, including the car payments, higher taxes and insurance, and so forth of two old cars versus two new ones.

Sarah
You should see if GM will buy back your Saturns to see what they did right. Most Saturns I have seen are lucky to get to 100K........

Putting it another way, how many OLD IMPORTS do you see versus OLD DOMESTICS? I would say the ratio is about 8 or 9 to 1............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

94 honda civic - 83,000 mi

got it used in 2002. some days it'd be nice to have a little stronger engine and a better a/c. love the new altimas, but considering i take public transportation to work, i can't bring myself to spend the money (price of a new car and higher insurance)
hova22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler without a ton of miles yet. I do plan on driving it until it falls apart around me.
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Putting it another way, how many OLD IMPORTS do you see versus OLD DOMESTICS? I would say the ratio is about 8 or 9 to 1............
Likely to be a bit skewed by the overwhelming popularity of imports around me, but what I see the most of is elderly domestic trucks of nearly every description.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

FD, I see tons of old domestics. Cars and trucks.
But mine is the only one in the parking lot where I work!
You'll find plenty of folks with old Saturns on the saturnfans forum.
And need I remind you that the 2007 Car of the Year is a Saturn.

Any fool can just buy new cars, but it takes the right kind of person to maintain older cars--us Southern girls find that kind of man, well, sexy!

I'll never forget the guy I went on a date with in high school who casually mentioned that he took his car in for an oil change. We didn't go out again. A handy man is a real man!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote