Join Early Retirement Today

CNN reviews Aldi
Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

CNN reviews Aldi

Extensive , interesting write-up:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...ces/index.html

Lots more going on, too... one hour delivery?

A look ahead... maybe a new world of no shopping, shopping.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LOVE Aldi! Not always the cheapest though.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No Aldi near us. Went to one once. Some things impressive savings, some not.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Aldi's had a price increase on everything in their store just after the first of the year. We can buy 2 for 1 name brands at Publix often cheaper than at Aldi's. They are not nearly the bargain they were in 2018.

I do like their chicken and pork in the meat department. It's from the upper Midwest and hasn't been Tysonized like chicken and pork in the South.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No Aldi in Northern California. Yet. Looked at a couple of ads for the Southern California stores on-line when they opened down there. Not very impressed. I hear their chocolate is good, similar to Trader Joe's. There are a couple not too far off I-10 in the Inland Empire and Palm Springs, so if I need a break driving to Phoenix, I might have a look at one.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Aldi's had a price increase on everything in their store just after the first of the year. We can buy 2 for 1 name brands at Publix often cheaper than at Aldi's. They are not nearly the bargain they were in 2018.

I do like their chicken and pork in the meat department. It's from the upper Midwest and hasn't been Tysonized like chicken and pork in the South.
Yeah, I quit buying Foster Farms products probably 15 years ago. I won't touch Tyson. Sprouts has great boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders, and thighs at really good prices on sale. That's a lot of what gets eaten at this house.

In Arizona, the grocery business is still very competitive. For decades, Phoenix was a test market for new products and had multiple chains that fought for market share. That's slowed down, but overall, prices are very good there. Sale prices at Fry's, which I believe is owned by Kroger now, are hard to beat. Winco is there but no Aldi yet. Not impressed by Winco.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
No Aldi in Northern California. Yet. Looked at a couple of ads for the Southern California stores on-line when they opened down there. Not very impressed. I hear their chocolate is good, similar to Trader Joe's. There are a couple not too far off I-10 in the Inland Empire and Palm Springs, so if I need a break driving to Phoenix, I might have a look at one.

Apparently one of the brothers that owns one of the two divisions of Aldi also owns Trader Joe’s. That would potentially account for any similarities you may notice...
Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Aldi for certain things that are significantly cheaper than Meijer, which is my primary go-to supermarket. Mainly produce, yogurts, organic milk and chocolate. But what I really like about them is how quickly I can get out of the checkout. Yes I have to bag the goods myself but it’s still way quicker than waiting for the cashier to do it, as they do at Meijer.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

My interest in Aldi goes back a long way... and the article does a good job of tracking the beginnings.. (very big in Europe) with a start in Germany by Theo and Karl Albrecht, who died in 2010 and 2014.
We first visited Aldi's in the early 1980's , soon after their intro into the US. Stores were pretty miserable back then, but inexpensive.
Currently more than 10,000 stores worldwide.
The US main office for the company is in Batavia Il, about five minutes from my son's home.

My fascination comes from an interest in retailing, and the efficiencies that have led to the successes of Amazon and Walmart. With the soon to be real, one hour home delivery, Aldi will be in the forefront of the soon to be huge Uber-like delivery phenomenon. (A whole new business by itself.)

The development of the industry, is a perfect example of a different type of Blockchain process, that we'll all be discussing in the near future. A step by step selection process that is continuously changing. (think a gigantic genealogy chart , but with ideas, rather than people)

While food isn't as glamorous as "tech", Aldi is the front edge of one piece of a world that will be moving in quantum leaps... in our own lifetime.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #10

I’m not impressed with Aldi, or even Trader Joe’s. They had good prices back in the day, but not now. Our local Aldi seemed to be filled with cookies, crackers, and canned foods, which I don’t buy. Very small boring produce department.

We have a farm with its own market literally next to our development, Wegmans within walking distance, and a local chain that has an amazing butcher shop within it.

Our other local supermarkets have great selections. My go-to store has self scanning. So I scan and bag as I go, using my reusable bags and coupons selected from the store app. Also specials with gas points-DH buys gas about once a month and usually pays half price for it. The shopping list is on the phone, and with Apple Pay, I never pull out my wallet. I don’t see the point of putting groceries in a cart, then bagging them at the end, handling each item twice. Waste of time.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Your experience while shopping Aldi will no doubt be influenced by your relationships with other stores. Five years ago Aldi was low cost on everything, and I recall shopping there to see how many canned goods I could snatch for $10. Times change, and I have more than $10 to spend, and Aldi knows. There are more stores, and they seem to be landing in up-scale areas around us. We still continue with multi-store approach. With a keen eye you can maximize the dollar spent.

I know that Amazon has stepped up their game on home delivery, and it should benefit consumers as each chain adjusts and brings additional benefits to the consumer.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Used to take my Mom to Aldi’s. Just never appealed to me. I care about my food choices and so much there is not to my liking.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by trirod View Post
I use Aldi for certain things that are significantly cheaper than Meijer, which is my primary go-to supermarket. Mainly produce, yogurts, organic milk and chocolate. But what I really like about them is how quickly I can get out of the checkout. Yes I have to bag the goods myself but it’s still way quicker than waiting for the cashier to do it, as they do at Meijer.
+1
I also like their prices on canned veggies (some days I need a quick veggie for supper).
And their refrigerated 16 oz guacamole (it's in 2 8oz pouches) for $2.99 -> especially when small avocado's are $1.25 ea here sometimes.

The various nacho chips are also good and cheap.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #14

20-some years ago, my dad came home from Aldi with 2 bags full of groceries and the receipt showed that he paid $0.00. Must have been good with coupons.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #15

I remember going to Aldi's in Moberly, MO as a teenager in the 70's with my mom. She really stocked up on canned food since we were a family of 11. My DH does not like to shop at Aldi's, so I only go there once or twice a year.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Aldis is our primary store for grocerys,
I scored a quarter from the cart today.
Cant beat the checkout speed.
Walmart is pathetic on checkout speed.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Aldis is our primary store for grocerys,
I scored a quarter from the cart today.
I like the in-and-out of Aldi too. Like speed shopping. I still run across the parking lot to Walmart for the other stuff I need. The Walmart here has the self-checkout lanes. I use those
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

My main “beef” with Aldi’s is, while some of their produce may be a good value, you are often forced to buy their prepackaged item, like 6 green peppers. Sorry, I just cannot consume that many bell peppers before they go bad.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Aldis .....
Got that right - we dump our shopping bag, the cashier zips the things across the scanner, I pay while the gal bags, and we are gone... Walmart is an adventure in major dullards futzing about and taking maybe 5 times as long to get one customer out vs. Aldis. And there is nothing but long lines at Walmart.

Aldis pre-made food is pretty horrible to my taste, and their look alike generic food is hit and miss, but the produce is pretty good and the limited options work just fine for me.