CO Detector Battery Question

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First Alert Model CO400 CO Detector..........instructions suggest "standard" 9 volt battery and give Duracell MN1604 and Energizer 522 as suitable replacements. In the next paragraph it warns not to use any other batteries.

Today the low battery alarm went off after only 8 mos. The battery that came with the unit was an Eveready 1222 and apparently not alkaline. I got the idea from that fact that "standard" might mean non-alkaline. But the Duracell and Energizer are apparently alkaline. A call to First Alert was not impressive.
Perhaps I put words in the rep's mouth but she confirmed that "standard" meant non-alkaline and suggested shorter lives for other batteries. She didn't mention that any harm would be caused.

Is there any apparent reason why other brands of alkaline batteries would not be suitable?

Is there any apparent reason why other brands of alkaline batteries would not be suitable?

The Everready 1222 is just a cheapie zinc/acid battery, apparently First Alert wanted to save 20 cents rather than include a good alkaline battery.

I think any brand of alkaline battery would give good service, and wouldn't do any damage to the detector. Plus, if it did get low, the "low battery alarm" would let you know.

In many cases I think device manufacturers get some financial compensation for recommending a particular brand. In other cases, they know it works with that brand and want to head off customer questions about which brand to use.

The only >potential< "gotcha" would be some loophole in any warranty/lawsuit issue if the alarm failed to function, if you were harmed as a result, and there was a battery other than the type recommended by the manufacturer in the unit, and if that battery was actually not up to snuff. That's a lot of "ifs".

Last edited:
Generic alkaline batteries do not last as long. Use an alkaline Energizer or Duracell. I have a LOT of these things, over 100

Cheap batteries do not work, or do not last as long.

Generic alkaline batteries do not last as long. Use an alkaline Energizer or Duracell. I have a LOT of these things, over 100

Cheap batteries do not work, or do not last as long.

That's not my experience. Oh, these guys actually measured a bunch:

Battery Showdown — The Best AA Battery You Can Buy? — Low Drain Test

Not really a whole lot of difference up/down the line - but Costco and Ikeas 'no name' alkalines were at the top, and cheaper than most all of them.

Just make sure that when you buy 'cheap', you aren't just buying 'old'.

-ERD50

Use any alkaline one you want, but don't use a lithium one, as when a lithium battery gets low (to set off the warning beeps) it will die very fast so very little warning.

Never use carbon zinc batteries as they barely last long enough to get out of the package.

is the battery 8 months old, or the unit itself. I went through this on my CO detector, and after changing the batter a few times, I found some very small print that said that after a certain period of time (I don't remember how long) the unit itself was kaput, and should be replaced.

is the battery 8 months old, or the unit itself. I went through this on my CO detector, and after changing the batter a few times, I found some very small print that said that after a certain period of time (I don't remember how long) the unit itself was kaput, and should be replaced.

Both......the previous unit was one of those that expired by time (not function) and had to be replaced. This one came w/ the non-alkaline battery so has some yrs of life left. I put in a "new" unused battery that had 8.3 volts, the same as the old battery. So far no low battery alarms but am looking for some newer new ones. Curious that the first time I looked at Amazon, the prices were high but as I continued to look the last day or so the prices seemed to have come down even w/o putting things in the cart.

Back
Top Bottom