Join Early Retirement Today

CO Detector Battery Question
Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CO Detector Battery Question

First Alert Model CO400 CO Detector..........instructions suggest "standard" 9 volt battery and give Duracell MN1604 and Energizer 522 as suitable replacements. In the next paragraph it warns not to use any other batteries.

Today the low battery alarm went off after only 8 mos. The battery that came with the unit was an Eveready 1222 and apparently not alkaline. I got the idea from that fact that "standard" might mean non-alkaline. But the Duracell and Energizer are apparently alkaline. A call to First Alert was not impressive.
Perhaps I put words in the rep's mouth but she confirmed that "standard" meant non-alkaline and suggested shorter lives for other batteries. She didn't mention that any harm would be caused.

Is there any apparent reason why other brands of alkaline batteries would not be suitable?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Is there any apparent reason why other brands of alkaline batteries would not be suitable?
The Everready 1222 is just a cheapie zinc/acid battery, apparently First Alert wanted to save 20 cents rather than include a good alkaline battery.

I think any brand of alkaline battery would give good service, and wouldn't do any damage to the detector. Plus, if it did get low, the "low battery alarm" would let you know.

In many cases I think device manufacturers get some financial compensation for recommending a particular brand. In other cases, they know it works with that brand and want to head off customer questions about which brand to use.

The only >potential< "gotcha" would be some loophole in any warranty/lawsuit issue if the alarm failed to function, if you were harmed as a result, and there was a battery other than the type recommended by the manufacturer in the unit, and if that battery was actually not up to snuff. That's a lot of "ifs".
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Generic alkaline batteries do not last as long. Use an alkaline Energizer or Duracell. I have a LOT of these things, over 100

Cheap batteries do not work, or do not last as long.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Generic alkaline batteries do not last as long. Use an alkaline Energizer or Duracell. I have a LOT of these things, over 100

Cheap batteries do not work, or do not last as long.
That's not my experience. Oh, these guys actually measured a bunch:

Battery Showdown — The Best AA Battery You Can Buy? — Low Drain Test

Not really a whole lot of difference up/down the line - but Costco and Ikeas 'no name' alkalines were at the top, and cheaper than most all of them.

Just make sure that when you buy 'cheap', you aren't just buying 'old'.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Use any alkaline one you want, but don't use a lithium one, as when a lithium battery gets low (to set off the warning beeps) it will die very fast so very little warning.

Never use carbon zinc batteries as they barely last long enough to get out of the package.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

is the battery 8 months old, or the unit itself. I went through this on my CO detector, and after changing the batter a few times, I found some very small print that said that after a certain period of time (I don't remember how long) the unit itself was kaput, and should be replaced.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
is the battery 8 months old, or the unit itself. I went through this on my CO detector, and after changing the batter a few times, I found some very small print that said that after a certain period of time (I don't remember how long) the unit itself was kaput, and should be replaced.
Both......the previous unit was one of those that expired by time (not function) and had to be replaced. This one came w/ the non-alkaline battery so has some yrs of life left. I put in a "new" unused battery that had 8.3 volts, the same as the old battery. So far no low battery alarms but am looking for some newer new ones. Curious that the first time I looked at Amazon, the prices were high but as I continued to look the last day or so the prices seemed to have come down even w/o putting things in the cart.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

While I choose not to get into discussions about types of batteries, there are numerous websites that disscuss the pros and cons of different types. Since I buy small batteries by the 60 pack, I have a bias. YMMV

Some websites:
Alkaline battery charging -- can regular batteries be recharged?

Rechargeable Battery Life Questions and Answer

Battery Showdown — The Best AA Battery You Can Buy?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote