Coffee?

I received a Krueg machine for Christmas, so I discarded my regular Mr. Coffee that I used Dunkin Donuts with. While it is very convenient, I have yet to find a coffee that is as good as the Dunkin in my old pot. It really financially is a ripoff, as I drink 2 cups in the morning. Even buying bulk I am spending over a buck a day which is much more expensive than buying Dunkin in a package.

I received a Krueg machine for Christmas, so I discarded my regular Mr. Coffee that I used Dunkin Donuts with. While it is very convenient, I have yet to find a coffee that is as good as the Dunkin in my old pot. It really financially is a ripoff, as I drink 2 cups in the morning. Even buying bulk I am spending over a buck a day which is much more expensive than buying Dunkin in a package.

I buy the Dunkin already ground in a bag and fill re-useable K-cups.

I buy the Dunkin already ground in a bag and fill re-useable K-cups.

Aja, are you referring to what mpierce linked in the above post? That might be the way I need to go.

Aja, are you referring to what mpierce linked in the above post? That might be the way I need to go.

Yes, but we have a set of four plastic cups with a stainless screen basket inside. There are scores of types of re-useable ones. I believe DW bought ours at Walmart for less than $10. You will probably have to expriment until you find a re-fillable that fits what you want. I tried some for eBay that were so-so.

I grew up on Dunkin coffee in Connecticut and it finally became widespread a few years ago. I'm grateful! DW likes Green Mountain Southern Pecan so that is her K-cup bad habit.

These look like what we have, but I can't be positive. In any event, it's the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Ekobrew-Refil...202014&sr=8-9&keywords=ekobrew+refillable+cup

Last edited:
Yes, but we have a set of four plastic cups with a stainless screen basket inside. There are scores of types of re-useable ones. I believe DW bought ours at Walmart for less than $10. You will probably have to expriment until you find a re-fillable that fits what you want. I tried some for eBay that were so-so.

I grew up on Dunkin coffee in Connecticut and it finally became widespread a few years ago. I'm grateful! DW likes Green Mountain Southern Pecan so that is her K-cup bad habit.

These look lie what we have, but I can't be positive. In any event, it
s the way to go.

Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Filter for Keurig K-Cup Brewers, 4-Count: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
We used these refillable K cups for several months but had problems with the plastic hinge on the lids breaking. I ordered a couple of the same brand (Ekobrew) made of stainless steel and they have worked great for more than a year.

Ekobrew Stainless Steel Elite Cup, Refillable K-Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

We used these refillable K cups for several months but had problems with the plastic hinge on the lids breaking. I ordered a couple of the same brand (Ekobrew) made of stainless steel and they have worked great for more than a year.

Ekobrew Stainless Steel Elite Cup, Refillable K-Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Believe it or not, ours are more than a year old and the lid hinges are still connected. When they do go, I'll buy the Ekobrew.

A good cup of coffee is one off the most enjoyable and affordable luxuries in life.

+1
I admit it, am also addicted to cafe mochas. I might have to hurt you if ask about the rediculous rice I pay for them*.:)

*Only vice I have left after having so so many...

I have about 1.5 to 2 cups of coffee only with breakfast. I have no sense of smell and very little sense of taste so it doesn't matter if it's the good stuff or the cheap stuff. In my case it's really just a creamer delivery system. I like it HOT and I reheat my coffee a few times, then forget about it and find my cup in the microwave later in the day.

One of the many acquired tastes that I never acquired. Caffeine source is Diet Coke and hot drink (and supplemental caffeine source) is black tea.

No words of wisdom... curiosity only:LOL:

from one who has never been to Starbucks:facepalm:

Yup! Coffee drinker here...2 cups in the morning. I got a Keurig as gift a few years back and it stopped working Christmas day. Luckily I never threw out the old Mr Coffee, so I pulled that out and open the K-cups until I could buy coffee. I like Community, although I grew up back east on Dunkin....the next time I go to market I'm going to treat myself to Dunkin.

I have tried the capsule machines and while they are better than instant they can't hold a candle to even a lowly drip pot.

I've been using it for 5+ years and I'm still a big fan of the AeroPress coffee maker. Very easy to customize coffee strength and temperature to exactly the way you want it, at $25 it's relatively cheap (~$5 for a years worth of filters), and cleanup is easy. I get two big cups of coffee out of each press.

One large mug for breakfast - medium roast - warm the half and half and whirl with a whisk then add fresh brewed for a lovely frothy coffee. In the afternoon and /or evening a strong brew of Ceylon tea with a drop of milk.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1393418257.811929.jpg

HFWR, The mug made me laugh. I thought of Bill Gross of Pimco saying in an interview the other day on CNBC that he wasn't a morning person. I think former employees were saying he wouldn't speak to them in the morning.

We got to talking about coffee in work the other day. It ended up with several of them arguing about which brewing method was best. The best brewing method is the one you like. I like peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches and fruit sandwiches but I'm not going to try to make someone else eat them......although I have threatened people with that menu for dinner on occasion. lol

Gotta have my good coffee! Several years ago we sampled some from a dude set up on the sidewalk in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island and we were just hooked. I mean, I've been drinking coffee since my teenage years, but I never had great coffee until that day. After we got home we couldn't remember which farm he was from, but I did find Blue Horse Kona and we order from them regularly. Unfortunately, the price has skyrocketed over the last couple of years so we've cut back from two cups in the morning (each) to one. Still, this is one of those indulgences that, as long as I'm w*rking anyway, I refuse to do without.

Coffee.... I hardly know where to begin.

Starbucks - They use a dark roast and Arabica beans - too bitter for me. Battery acid and dirt. Bury a shot of espresso in a mocha and it's not too bad though.

A friend who used to be a coffee exec told me that if you like a less bitter cup of coffee to stick with medium roasts, and preferentially beans from guatamala/costa rica. This had been good advice. I also loved Kona coffee from Hawaii. I prefer a sweeter/caramelly taste to coffee.

Lately I've been drinking Cafe Vita's Del Sol. I use a Bialetti stovetop espresso maker at home. I still have a blade-grinder, thinking about upgrading to a burr grinder.

But I don't want to get too fancy.... :)

love my coffee.... 1/2 decaf and 1/2 hazelnut. REALLY dislike S*bucks. Two reasons - I don't like the coffee itself (too acidic) and I dislike the fact that they have a tendency to run the local places out of business. More and More we are becoming "Generica" - generic strip malls. Generic everything. I personally love to buy small as much as I can. Shrug. YMMV

We got to talking about coffee in work the other day. It ended up with several of them arguing about which brewing method was best. The best brewing method is the one you like. I like peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches and fruit sandwiches but I'm not going to try to make someone else eat them......although I have threatened people with that menu for dinner on occasion. lol

"We got to talking about coffee in work the other day."

W*rk? Now, if you are gonna swear in public.....

I got hooked on coffee flying long haul missions in the Air Force. It was pretty nasty stuff, but kept us going. A few years ago my son got a job at Starbucks and I started drinking their coffee and really enjoy it. I bought some of their stock during a dip in the price and it has paid for my coffee for years to come. We use a Keurig at home for the convenience and neither of us really notice much difference in the brewing method, but filtered water is much better than straight out of the tap.

It wasn't until I left the army, that I learned that I found out that the murjun heaters were really called immersion heaters. These contraptions were a series of pipes, plates and burners that were used for almost everything. The devices were placed in 30gallon galvanized tubs filled with water, and used oil, gas, or even cooking oil, to fire the bottom burner, and heat up water for every use. For mess, three were used... the first for dipping the dirty dishes (each serviceman took care of his own)... the second for the first rinse, and the third for the final sterile rinse. It was used for cooking food, water for washing, or if you were lucky for showers... amd too many other uses to mention. Our wars might have been different without them... meals, sanitation and just the comfort of a hot immersion heater on a cold morning.

So how do they fit in here?... Simple... Army Coffee... 30 gallons of steaming hot water, into which was poured several pounds of ground coffee, which immediately settled to the bottom, and bubbled there all morning ready for us to dip our canteen cups in for a super hot cup of java.
Can't remember if it tasted good, or tasted at all, but on a freezing morning after a night in pup tents, it was hot... and that mattered.
Anyone else remember?

Attachments

• immersion heaters.jpg
    immersion heaters.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Heater.jpg
    Heater.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Interesting food tastes--love it!

Army Coffee... 30 gallons of steaming hot water, into which was poured several pounds of ground coffee, which immediately settled to the bottom, and bubbled there all morning ready for us to dip our canteen cups in for a super hot cup of java.

That sounds roughly like the coffee we get here at work. They manufacture the coffee for us in an industrial synthesis process as a bi-product of wastewater treatment. Then it's shipped miles and miles through a lead pipe to our facility and stored in rusty barrels for months or years. Then when needed the coffee is heated by blast furnace for our enjoyment.

bad+coffee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom