Coffee and Retirement

How many cups/mugs of coffee do you drink each day?

• I don't drink coffee and I am retired.

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • 1-2 cups and I am retired

Votes: 51 34.2%
  • 3-5 cups and I am retired

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • over 5 cups and I am retired

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • I don't drink coffee and I am not retired.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • 1-2 cups and I am not retired

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • 3-5 cups and I am not retired

Votes: 24 16.1%
  • over 5 cups and I am not retired

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
I'm retired. I drink more than five cups of stong, black coffee every day to be able to stay awake until bedtime.:)

The Coffee contract here at MegaCorp was put out for bid. The low bidder that won, makes the coffee synthetically using an industrial process and then ships the coffee to us through a lead pipe where it is then heated by direct combustion here at our facility. The actual process is secret but is believed to involve concentrates derived form leftover wash rags and stale bread mold.

When we want a cup we make sure that the pot isn't still aflame. Then we let it sit for an hour or two - just to be sure.

Anyway, it's not very good but it's free, So we all drink lots of it.

We had the same vendor!

2-3 large mugs black with a half teaspoon of buckwheat honey. Two as I play on the computer over breakfast, and one later. The last may be iced coffee if it is hot out. Good buckwheat honey is getting hard to find.

One time I tried switching to tea because I "thought it was better for me." That didn't last long....

I revere my morning ritual of coffee and contemplation. In the summer time I love to sit on the porch with my trusty coffee mug and listen to the birds, and meditate on the drama in the flower/herb bed. Two humming birds come most days and check on the foxgloves. DH put out a funky birdbath - on an old telephone wire spool - but, it works. There is a deer family that lives in the copse of trees over there, and a noisy family of foxes that dwell over yonder. Time to get out my paints.

Never drank even a sip of coffee. Never had any interest in it.

W2R,
Interesting poll. :) It looks like your original hypothesis that you would drink less coffee after retirement seems to be supported for the poll responders in general. Pre retirement coffee drinkers skew toward 3-5 cups. Post retirement coffee drinkers skew toward 1-3.
I think you are "on the mark" that pre- retirement coffee drinkers self medicate!

Life is too precious for bad coffee. It is my deeply enjoyed LBYM extravagance.

Using the five oz cup measure, I am the one who consumes five or more cups of Colombian ground coffee daily, four in my first mug. I don't go through the work of freshly ground, but I store the coffee grounds in the fridge to keep it from becoming stale.

I brew, then turn off the heat and pour into a thermos air pot. Saves energy and more importantly keeps the coffee from tasting burnt.

At MegaCorp that gets their coffee from from the cheapest vendor, I don't drink their swill. I bring in or make my own. At some point LBYM is just plain cheap. Drinking free lousy coffee is beyond the pale. Interestingly, my former managers refused to let my department have coffee, because it was against their (Morman) religious beliefs. They didn't fire me though. At least not yet. :)

Personally I think the poll and the comments are both interesting, but if you don't you are perfectly welcome to [-]piss on my thread[/-] not participate.

Geeze, W2R, I was trying to be helpful, and I thought I did it in a nice way. Sorry if my message didn't come across right.

From REW's comments, I'm now wondering, did I miss something about polls? Has poll-shooting become an Olympic Sport here at er.org? I would never be able to make the Olympic team... what a defeatist attitude I'm showing... I should be saying that I could aspire for at least a Bronze :D

Anyway W2R, I'm sorry :flowers:

One time I tried switching to tea because I "thought it was better for me." That didn't last long....
I did this too and came back to coffee. Coffee (caffeinated or decaf, doesn't matter) gives me mild IBS symptoms and tea doesn't. But coffee is sooo much better. I know, too much information - sorry. :)

Still drink the same 1 or 2 cups before and after retiring. The difference now is that the coffee I drink is black and tasty - I enjoy my coffee. Before retirement, I have to put milk in it to help my stomach make motion (sorry, if too much info) and coffee provided in office is not as tasty as the brew I make now at home. Retiring actually makes a difference in my coffee drinking!

2 cups black with newspaper everyday! I used to think coffee was coffee, but I've learned I have specific requirements now and no it's not the cheap stuff unfortunately.

I just use those Maxwell House coffee bags. Not the finest coffee in the world, but fast and with a little fresh creamer it's not bad either. :) In my case, there's only one of me in my house so that's pretty easy.
Same here except Folgers not Maxwell house.

Using the five oz cup measure, I am the one who consumes five or more cups of Colombian ground coffee daily, four in my first mug.
A five-ounce cup?

Sheesh. By that calibration I drink between five and eight cups of coffee with breakfast...

I love coffee and drink it every day. Now that I am retired I drink quite a bit less coffee because I am more active. While w**king I would drink it constantly while working on the computer in the office.
I would say probably 1/3 less now that I am retired.

Semi Retired working 3-4 days. About the same 2 cups the days that I work and the days that I am off.

watch
watch

Semi-retired and I've never had a cup of coffee. Tasted it maybe 40 some years ago and didn't like it.
Used to be my story. Now I'm up to about 4 cups a week, no more than 1 a day.

Three months into my retirement I sent this email:

Subject: Pigs fly ...
Body: ... and hell freezes over.

You know I don't like coffee. Actually strongly dislike it and anything coffee flavored. Every couple of weeks I want a 'Western Breakfast' (eggs, pancakes or waffles or french toast, and ham or bacon) The only place to get this at a reasonable price is at the Starbucks clones. The meal always comes with coffee, which I initially left alone.

One morning I needed some caffeine, so I wondered what I could do with the powdered cream substitute to make it palatable. Not much, as it turns out. Subsequent experiments of cream powder and sugar was more palatable. Then I tried just a little sugar and got my needed caffeine without minding the taste. I'd drink about 10 - 20% of the cup, just enough to get some caffeine.

Today I realized that I drank half the cup while waiting for the food and actually enjoyed it. I apologize, Sir Thomas Lipton. Bienvenido! Juan Valdez.

I drink 3 mugs of coffee between 7:30 and 10:30. At work I would have one to start, one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon. I never drink coffee after 1pm now. Black with sweetener. Always a fine Columbian roast.

Over 5 cups, but all decaf - I am wired enough without the extra caffeine! Fill a thermos and two travel mugs in the morning, drink one en route to w*rk, bring the other mug into office...mmm - luv the taste of coffee!!

I love coffee and drink it every day. Now that I am retired I drink quite a bit less coffee because I am more active. While w**king I would drink it constantly while working on the computer in the office.
I would say probably 1/3 less now that I am retired.

I thought I could "edit" my posts but I guess not after a certain time.
Oh well, what I meant to say is that I drink 2/3 less coffee now than I did w**king. I've also lost some weight, walk and exercise more and feel much better. Love my coffee!

I am still w*rking, but the nature of my j*b does not lend itself to regular coffee drinking during w*rking hours. Like many here, I will not drink Megacorp swill and believe that life is too short to drink bad coffee. I buy the beans (organic) and grind my own, although I did concede to buy ground coffee in a can while my coffee grinder was packed for the move! Most mornings I have a mug of coffee with milk, no sugar, or a latte with 2% milk, no sugar, and cinnamon on top in a latte cup. Most days that's it. If I am out to dinner with friends, I may order coffee, but if it's after 8 pm, it will be decaf. For some reason, I believe coffee tastes better in a mug than in a cup. I do not like Starbucks. :cool:

Attachments

• Marine roadkill coffee.jpg
    Marine roadkill coffee.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 59
Prior to retirement I grabbed a 16 oz. cup enroute, then went for another 16 oz. mid-morning. Around 2:00 o'clock I went for another 16 oz. cup. Then I'd go to the local hangout around 8:00 or 9:00 p.m., and sit a drink about 4 cups of coffee with my friends.

Now in retirement, I have 3 cups in the morning at the neighborhood coffee shop. In the late afternoon I go back there for another 2 or 3 cups. Then around 8:00 p.m. I meet up with some other friends there, and have a few more cups.

I've been drinking my coffee caffeinated and 'black' since I got out of high school....and NEVER decaf or sweetener!!! I don't like Staryucks at all....yuck!! I just like good ol' coffee shop, truckstop, or diner coffee!!!

Back
Top Bottom